Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 10:05 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,596,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
That post was missing something, what I meant to say was:

Some in NYC need to look down on someone or somewhere...If it's not the Bronx, then what?
It's shameful that even "native New Yorkers" do that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 10:17 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yorkville gentrified. As phase one of the Second Avenue Subway neared completion, many tenements were torn down to be replaced by expensive high rises. Prices went up across the board.
We've been through this, Yes, Yorkville has changed since SAS opened and even in the several years before; but it still has some way to go.

There remains plenty of five-six story walk-ups, old tenements and other buildings full of RC or RS tenants. You only have to walk up any avenue east of Lexington from about 72nd to 96th (especially above 86th) and see evidence.

Also for the record one sees a great number of people coming to and going from the SAS *west* of Second Avenue. That is those who live on Third, Lexington or even further west.

It took awhile but many finally caught on that the SAS route was really more than they thought, and can get from Union Square, Chelsea, Tribeca, and really far south as City Hall/Wall Street area by just transferring to the R,W or N trains. This and or they can get onto the "F" for either Queens or whatever.

Back on topic while the area is "changing" you still have plenty of middle aged, seniors and elderly living in those RS apartments, and they aren't going anywhere except in a box feet first out front door. At least current mayoral administration has made eviction nearly impossible, so there you are.

Compared to what Yorkville was historically (say until the early 1990's), yes things have changed, but they have a long ways to go in terms of absolute gentrification. Chelsea, West Village, and a few other areas are streets ahead of Yorkville.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:09 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
We've been through this, Yes, Yorkville has changed since SAS opened and even in the several years before; but it still has some way to go.

There remains plenty of five-six story walk-ups, old tenements and other buildings full of RC or RS tenants. You only have to walk up any avenue east of Lexington from about 72nd to 96th (especially above 86th) and see evidence.

Also for the record one sees a great number of people coming to and going from the SAS *west* of Second Avenue. That is those who live on Third, Lexington or even further west.

It took awhile but many finally caught on that the SAS route was really more than they thought, and can get from Union Square, Chelsea, Tribeca, and really far south as City Hall/Wall Street area by just transferring to the R,W or N trains. This and or they can get onto the "F" for either Queens or whatever.

Back on topic while the area is "changing" you still have plenty of middle aged, seniors and elderly living in those RS apartments, and they aren't going anywhere except in a box feet first out front door. At least current mayoral administration has made eviction nearly impossible, so there you are.

Compared to what Yorkville was historically (say until the early 1990's), yes things have changed, but they have a long ways to go in terms of absolute gentrification. Chelsea, West Village, and a few other areas are streets ahead of Yorkville.
I didn't claim that Yorkville had gentrified to the extent of Chelsea and the West Village. Only that having even just phase one of the Second Avenue Subway has caused major neighbourhood changes.

As early as this year they may start the utility relocation for Phase 2 of the Second Avenue Subway. This complete matches the rezoning of East Harlem.

Since LA passed a 120 billion dollar expansion plan for its subways and buses, now that the Democrats control both houses of the legislature let's see what this means for the MTA and transit expansion.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:34 AM

31,904 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I didn't claim that Yorkville had gentrified to the extent of Chelsea and the West Village. Only that having even just phase one of the Second Avenue Subway has caused major neighbourhood changes.

As early as this year they may start the utility relocation for Phase 2 of the Second Avenue Subway. This complete matches the rezoning of East Harlem.

Since LA passed a 120 billion dollar expansion plan for its subways and buses, now that the Democrats control both houses of the legislature let's see what this means for the MTA and transit expansion.

Since one actually lives on UES, can tell you how some feel about the SAS a few years on, and or plans for expansion of subway service. In a few words they aren't thrilled.

While the SAS has indeed proved a blessing for sleepy Yorkville and the UES in general, it is doing what old timers warned against (and feared) back when first proposed; hastening the change of area.

Yorkville largely was left alone development wise due to lack of subway access. In particular from Second west to East End; that now has changed.

Suddenly all those old tenements and walk-ups that remained frozen in time because new development would never have the rent roll/sales per square foot to justify costs associated with redevelopment, now are in play.

First between 79th and 80th is coming down. Half to one-third of Third between 82nd and 83rd is being redeveloped as well. Then you have the Kent and other things going up above 86th. Those are just the opening salvos.

Leaving aside the East Harlem rezoning scheme, there is a good amount of building stock on UES/Yorkville that is significantly underdeveloped. That is the FAR as currently built leaves quite a lot on the table development wise. Big money has noticed this and you've seen them moving in to buy said buildings.

On another front retail and residential (market rate) rents are going *up*. Access brought by the SAS means landlords are hoping they can get more, and in the process all the old shops and whatever that once gave UES/Yorkville its flavor are vanishing. People can't afford the rents.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:32 AM

313 posts, read 212,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I travel far and wide, and sometimes my Bronx tenant woes come up in my conversations with friendly strangers on long transcontinental Amtrak routes or transoceanic plane flights. Interestingly, people out there in the world (namely, in Denver, Seattle and Hong Kong) seem to think that the Bronx is up and coming! People out there seem to think this much more than New Yorkers do. Any idea why??
Mott Haven and Port Morris are gentrifying in the South Bronx. Go to 138 street or Bruckner Blvd by the 3rd Ave bridge, you'll see it.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagerNYC View Post
Mott Haven and Port Morris are gentrifying in the South Bronx. Go to 138 street or Bruckner Blvd by the 3rd Ave bridge, you'll see it.
What do you mean, spotting a white person here and there?

Old 01-07-2019, 09:39 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
What do you mean, spotting a white person here and there?
Not just that, but new / new-ish shops and new construction with rents that are definitely above the means of the poor and working class aside from official affordable housing.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Not just that, but new / new-ish shops and new construction with rents that are definitely above the means of the poor and working class aside from official affordable housing.
I've heard about the new construction for a while but I haven't seen any commercial strips around there yet are very visibly gentrifying like you'd see in Brooklyn's "in transition" neighborhoods. But I haven't been there in a few months and I know things can change pretty quickly.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:00 AM

965 posts, read 1,113,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

That area sure is cleaning up / being developed. Sometimes I have to work one day out of the weekend occasionally and on my Uber trips to the office, I can see the slow and gradual changes. There's this one particular condo that caught my eye. I laughed because the "amenities" nearby it are a tax place, Dollar Tree, and a liquor store. A few yards away, the Projects. Two complexes actually.

For the amount they charge, you could live in Long Island City in any of those shiny new luxury hi-rises.

Is it worth it for a person with the money to come up in there and complain about the surroundings, just to live "minutes from Manhattan." Because you know that's what they'll do. Move in and complain about the neighbors. Newsflash, Hunter and Karen. Long Island City is "minutes from Manhattan" and is an overall better neighborhood.

With the amount of these condos sprouting up, it's hard to keep track. And the lower you go past 138th Street the more "industrial" it feels. 138th is already pretty industrial, and here they are, plopping "luxury" condos in the middle of a barren wasteland.

At the end of the day, it's working for Long Island City. Let's see what'll happen to Mott Haven Estates and Port Morris Gardens.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonHD4250 View Post
That area sure is cleaning up / being developed. Sometimes I have to work one day out of the weekend occasionally and on my Uber trips to the office, I can see the slow and gradual changes. There's this one particular condo that caught my eye. I laughed because the "amenities" nearby it are a tax place, Dollar Tree, and a liquor store. A few yards away, the Projects. Two complexes actually.

For the amount they charge, you could live in Long Island City in any of those shiny new luxury hi-rises.

Is it worth it for a person with the money to come up in there and complain about the surroundings, just to live "minutes from Manhattan." Because you know that's what they'll do. Move in and complain about the neighbors. Newsflash, Hunter and Karen. Long Island City is "minutes from Manhattan" and is an overall better neighborhood.

With the amount of these condos sprouting up, it's hard to keep track. And the lower you go past 138th Street the more "industrial" it feels. 138th is already pretty industrial, and here they are, plopping "luxury" condos in the middle of a barren wasteland.

At the end of the day, it's working for Long Island City. Let's see what'll happen to Mott Haven Estates and Port Morris Gardens.
That's what I thought, it doesn't really have a gentrified looking commercial strip (that I've seen yet) like say, Wyckoff Avenue in Brooklyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City