Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 10:09 AM

1,239 posts, read 507,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
How quick do we forget.
The L train was revamped in early 2000 with $500,000,000 million of our tax dollars.
Wow! How much would that be in today's money?
Guess what?
Not even 20 years and it needs to be updated again ?
Yeah...yeah...yeah.... no one could have expected the damage by Superstorm Sandy.
Well....what about the portion of tunnel that rolls under the East River?
You going to sit here and tell me no waterproofing was necessary for implementation? Pleeeeeeeeease................
Those who think ahead and anticipate , are what makes true leaders great.
Those leaders that sit idle and procrastinate, are always just a little too late............
Pataki would have been leader during the relevant times, right?

I don't like this at all, it doesn't strike me as some last minute discovery, but more a political move that has been in the works for a while.

I was looking forward to the shutdown for purely selfish and assholish reasons.

I don't think there's any chance that they can make the repairs in a similar time frame while only working nights and weekends without some major compromises. I just hope those compromises aren't safety related.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 10:09 AM

2,390 posts, read 1,182,875 times
That's one hell of a change order!

Old 01-04-2019, 10:22 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,652,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
I don't think there's any chance that they can make the repairs in a similar time frame while only working nights and weekends without some major compromises. I just hope those compromises aren't safety related.
They're going to mount the cables on the wall, no demolition required

Old 01-04-2019, 11:42 AM

19,105 posts, read 16,937,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Makes more sense to me, thanks...

Old 01-04-2019, 12:21 PM

1,239 posts, read 507,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Was it really that simple all along? If so, why couldn't they have proposed this plan a year ago?
Is everyone involved just that inept, or do you think there's more to it?

Old 01-04-2019, 12:25 PM

5,441 posts, read 5,671,352 times
Quote:
Was it really that simple all along? If so, why couldn't they have proposed this plan a year ago?
The planners at the MTA want to do less work with more $$$, so they have an incentive to come up with the most expensive projects possible. Remember, MTA budget does not depend on their revenue, but on their spending. The more they spend, the bigger their budget will be next year.

This is all part of the transportation industrial complex.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:31 PM

31,745 posts, read 26,654,270 times
Quote:
The Mouth of Albany, that some kind of piece of governor Cuomo was waiting until *after* winning the election to make his move.

Previously all we heard was "I don't control the MTA....", now the eejit is doing a victory lap dance acting like Underdog who swooped in and saved the day.....

Likely Cuomo's big money real estate pals put the squeeze on him to stop the slide in Williamsburg and other area properties affected by proposed prolonged "L" subway closure.

Personally think the entire lot ought to be lined up and shot. Cuomo in particular sat on this scheme while the MTA and NYC spent millions and vast amounts of time planning for the "L" train shutdown. Then in rides Underdog with his (unnamed and unknown) Columbia students with their cunning plan.

When all is said and done Cuomo will likely slap his name all over the subway tunnels same as he did with the new SAS stations. That and or maybe rename them after his late father (as with the Tappan Zee bridge), or some other member of his family.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:42 PM

214 posts, read 196,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
The Mouth of Albany, that some kind of piece of governor Cuomo was waiting until *after* winning the election to make his move.

Previously all we heard was "I don't control the MTA....", now the eejit is doing a victory lap dance acting like Underdog who swooped in and saved the day.....

Likely Cuomo's big money real estate pals put the squeeze on him to stop the slide in Williamsburg and other area properties affected by proposed prolonged "L" subway closure.

Personally think the entire lot ought to be lined up and shot. Cuomo in particular sat on this scheme while the MTA and NYC spent millions and vast amounts of time planning for the "L" train shutdown. Then in rides Underdog with his (unnamed and unknown) Columbia students with their cunning plan.

When all is said and done Cuomo will likely slap his name all over the subway tunnels same as he did with the new SAS stations. That and or maybe rename them after his late father (as with the Tappan Zee bridge), or some other member of his family.
It is paywalled but, the WSJ is reporting exactly this.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-l-t...ns-11546561665

In short, landlords in the area were not happy about having to discount rents. Read from several people on the NYC Reddit thread who either moved because of this or negotiated lower rent....

Old 01-04-2019, 06:37 PM

31,745 posts, read 26,654,270 times
Just follow the trail (or stench if you will), of money.
https://therealdeal.com/2019/01/04/r...rain-shutdown/

Old 01-05-2019, 08:02 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,851,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
This is Cuomo's plan independent from MTA. So it must be either one of two things:

1. It doesn't work and Cuomo is an idiot and his admin is incompetent and don't know what they are doing.
2. Initial MTA multi-million dollar analysis about closing the tube must have been wrong. The people at the MTA do not know what they are doing.

Since I think both Cuomo and the MTA are completely incompetent, I have no guesses who is right or wrong.
Are there no real engineers working for this organization at the top????

My Grandfather repaired MTA trains for 30 years and by the time he retired most of the older generation that actually knew what they were doing were gone. But the problem is MTA leadership going way back when has ALWAYS been led by incompetent technologically inept bureaucrats and politicians. The MTA in it's modern day inception (From about 1975 onwards) has never had actual Engineering folks in their top brass. Ever. At best it had businessmen with Sales or Finance experience. Zero experience with what they are managing.

Until that core problem is resolved nothing will change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City