Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 10:36 AM

8,923 posts, read 4,730,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I have no sympathy, they're still gonna get high rents even with a full L train shutdown.
Well, some of them are now upset because they offered "discounts" on the rent due to the impending L train shut down that has (for now) been averted. They'd like to kick it up back to market rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 11:06 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,663,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Well, some of them are now upset because they offered "discounts" on the rent due to the impending L train shut down that has (for now) been averted. They'd like to kick it up back to market rate.
haha yeah right good luck with that

Old 01-07-2019, 11:19 AM

6,219 posts, read 3,566,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Whatever people are willing to pay for it IS market rate.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:57 PM

15,801 posts, read 14,414,927 times
Either that, or the MTA was full of $hit. I suspected as much. Now this doesn't mean Cuomo isn't full of $hit also. But now that he put this on the table, I think reality will be revealed.

I thought the whole Canarsie Tunnel project rebuild needed a thorough outside review. I didn't see any reason this needed to take fifteen months with a full shutdown, but I'm not an engineer. I'd be interested if to see in Cuomo's people published the results of their review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackconverse View Post
lol, short term money instead of long term solutions. You can't make this stuff up.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:30 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,889,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
That is sooooo overblown it's not even funny. People act like all those commuters would stop working in Manhattan and everyone would abandon billyburg. If the L closed for a year people would definitely find a way to get there. The JMZ trains aren't much further, there are buses bikes and walking across the bridge, you can take the G to the 7, and there's ferry service.

There would be no "massive economic damage" and actually almost no damage at all except to the sleep patterns of people getting up earlier and getting home later
That's considerable damage to realtors. They invested a lot of money in these areas, only to have them made less marketable.

So of course they want to state officials, and now there will be no full 15 month total shutdown. The MTA will have to do it's repairs nights and weekends, which SHOULD have been the plan ALL along.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:06 PM

4,753 posts, read 6,494,559 times
More details about the new plan. And federal approval might be needed. The announcement happened fast, but I have a feeling that we won't see Cuomo's brainchild breaking ground for quite a while.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/07/n....co/5W3j1aLkXj

Old 01-07-2019, 08:25 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,821,158 times
They need to stick with the original plan. Fix the tunnels, because they’re old and corroded, before the whole thing caves in and the MTA has to shell out even MORE money for a fix they could’ve prevented

Old 01-07-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
More details about the new plan. And federal approval might be needed. The announcement happened fast, but I have a feeling that we won't see Cuomo's brainchild breaking ground for quite a while.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/07/n....co/5W3j1aLkXj
I think it will happen on schedule as the tunnel has to be repaired, and the decision has already been made to only do the repairs on weekends and nights.

Byford has said the repairs will last 40 years, which is a long time.

Cuomo got engineers from Cornell and Columbia University to come up this plan.

This is something I always wondered, instead of turning to the same overinflated consulting companies why didn't the city and state turn to universities or even innovative private companies that might have better ideas.

Cuomo has at least stepped up on this, and should ask the universities for advice on upgrades and expansions in general.

Ditto more innovative private sector companies.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
They need to stick with the original plan. Fix the tunnels, because they’re old and corroded, before the whole thing caves in and the MTA has to shell out even MORE money for a fix they could’ve prevented
No, that has already been decided that will not happen. The Brooklyn real estate lobby is now powerful enough to block this.

Besides we all know the MTA would never have shutdown a major Manhattan trunk line for 15 months. They simply underestimated the newfound power of Brooklyn's gentrified areas.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:27 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,821,158 times
Cuomo went rogue and announced this plan prematurely without the MTA’s input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City