Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2019, 05:02 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,241,134 times

Advertisements

https://nypost.com/2019/04/27/new-yo...rd-surcharges/

I feel like restaurant's are really taken advantage of this min wage increase. Prices have gone up and now credit card fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 05:12 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,084,509 times
This is great because a lot of places are now refusing to take cash. So now they can force you to use credit cards and then charge you an extra 4% fee for using the credit card they make you use.

Old 04-28-2019, 05:29 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
This is great because a lot of places are now refusing to take cash. So now they can force you to use credit cards and then charge you an extra 4% fee for using the credit card they make you use.
Many small businesses will only accept a credit card if one's purchases are above a certain amount.

Perhaps restaurants should have 2 prices on their menus to show cost of each item depending if one is paying with cash or a credit card.

Old 04-28-2019, 06:42 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,361,153 times
I actually ate somewhere recently that made it VERY clear they charged extra for using a card. It was on the menu and there was at least one sign if not two posted in the restaurant. Easier for them, I think, because it is a relatively new store so they did it from the beginning.

Old 04-28-2019, 06:56 AM

106,723 posts, read 108,913,061 times
since 2013 it seems merchants can charge you more but it is not legal in all states from what i see .

Old 04-28-2019, 10:02 AM

198 posts, read 119,382 times
Gee, I thought the biggest problem in NYC was the businesses that DON'T accept cash. Of course, the reality on the streets is remarkably different than what the City Council thinks. I guess credit card surcharges aren't as "racially exclusionary" as not accepting cash, so the council doesn't really care.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:13 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
I find it weird that gas stations have been able to charge a credit price and a cash price for a long time - as long as I can remember, but that there's a different standard when selling other kinds of products (food, etc.).

Old 04-28-2019, 11:44 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,241,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I find it weird that gas stations have been able to charge a credit price and a cash price for a long time - as long as I can remember, but that there's a different standard when selling other kinds of products (food, etc.).
I think the issue is places aren't posting it. Gas stations are VERY clear on their signs cash price/credit card price.

I went out for drinks at a restaurant last week, we saw the charge after they already ran the card and where like huh. We just paid it and didn't ask about it since it was busy and took forever for the check to arrive. So now I know what it was about. We didn't see it posted anywhere about the charge.

Old 04-28-2019, 05:54 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Credit/charge card use has never been "free" for merchants accepting. But rather comes with various fees (monthly, equipment rental, swipe, etc...) that can add up. Worse getting a good deal on a merchant account can be difficult for small businesses who don't rack up very large monthly numbers.

Historically merchants were told to suck up the costs as accepting credit/charge cards would increase their business. That is the ease of use and free spending that often comes with CCs would take some of the sting out of all those fees. It doesn't or still does not always work that way.

Places that do accept credit/charge cards for ages have baked those costs into whatever good or service they are selling. This is one of the reasons why places hate taking CCs for small purchases. Fees on say a five or ten dollar CC purchase can really eat into that sale.

In past there was enough mix between cash and credit that things sort of evened out. But over past few decades CC use has expanded (with plenty of help from banks and other issuers) to point places are seeing much if not most of their sales taking place via CC. In particular since banks and other issuers have rolled out a host of points/rewards schemes people use their CC for things they once might have paid cash to earn those bonuses.

Every time a merchant takes a CC for sale he/she has a bit taken off the top by the bank/CC issuer. That is money right out of their back pocket.

Times being what they are for many small businesses they are looking at ways to mitigate costs associated with accepting plastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City