Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 09:10 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,686,303 times

Advertisements

I got a *very* low number (less than 200) on the latest lottery and am expecting to be picked.

Anyone know what I can expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 01:50 AM

3,147 posts, read 2,738,515 times
Way faster and more professional than any of the affordable lotteries. I seem to remember going from submitting docs--which I only had to do once--to approval and viewing an apartment in less than two weeks. May have been even less than that.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:56 AM

Excellent, thank you for responding.

Last year (2017) I made just under a hair below the lower income threshold. This year (2018) I am firmly in the income band and next year will be too. The problem is I am self-employed.

The woman on the phone said that I would need to when called show two years of tax returns. If my 2017 + 2018 average comes out to too low (and it will), she said they will accept an income projection for 2019. What do you know about an income projection form? They said I can self-certify it. I've been looking for them online for maybe a template to follow but they seem to all be from businesses, not individuals. I am actually hiring myself as an employee this year because I am incorporating, so my income this upcoming year (2019) will be nice and easy to understand and on a w-2.

Also, how intrusive are they into your banking details? Do they want to know all accounts (I have a bank account in Italy with less than $1,000 in it just for incidentals when I am in Italy as I visit often) and all deposits/payments? Or just the balances?

Thanks again!

Old 12-30-2018, 03:23 PM

I'm afraid I don't have any personal experience with the lottery and self-employment.

IIRC, they requested bank account statements just like other lotteries do. I don't remember being questioned on any deposits, but I may just not have had any that looked "suspicious."

Warning: these apartments are NOT rent-stabilized. The rent increases automatically based on the AMI. In the ~2.5 years since the first lottery, the 160% AMI 1-bed apartment rent has jumped more than $400. (Also, you may already know this, but there is a monthly charge per a/c, so for a 1-bed that's adding about $50/mo. to the rent.)

Old 12-30-2018, 04:16 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
I'm afraid I don't have any personal experience with the lottery and self-employment.

IIRC, they requested bank account statements just like other lotteries do. I don't remember being questioned on any deposits, but I may just not have had any that looked "suspicious."

Warning: these apartments are NOT rent-stabilized. The rent increases automatically based on the AMI. In the ~2.5 years since the first lottery, the 160% AMI 1-bed apartment rent has jumped more than $400. (Also, you may already know this, but there is a monthly charge per a/c, so for a 1-bed that's adding about $50/mo. to the rent.)

Are you sure about that? https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...uture-tenants/

Old 12-30-2018, 04:20 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Not for nothing don't know why anyone would want to live in STPCV; residents seem rather bitter.

Ok, there is a percentage of cranks in any multi-family. But going by postings on STPCV resident blog the place seems to have a surplus.

The Stuyvesant Town Report

Old 12-30-2018, 04:51 PM

That person running that blog seems... a bit perturbed.

Why would anyone choose to live in StuyTown? Well, I am guessing because this most recently lottery was *actually* affordable. I'll just park there while waiting on my ML applications to be called. My white whale is York Hill on York Ave between 81st and 82nd... lol.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:50 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,241,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Not for nothing don't know why anyone would want to live in STPCV; residents seem rather bitter.

Ok, there is a percentage of cranks in any multi-family. But going by postings on STPCV resident blog the place seems to have a surplus.

The Stuyvesant Town Report
I have a friend who lives there, paying market rate. It's a large, nice apartment, in a nice maintained building.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:51 PM

4,776 posts, read 6,579,361 times
Shady, are you in the lower ST bracket or the upper?

Old 12-30-2018, 05:52 PM

Yep, I'm sure. I went far enough in the process to be sent a copy of the lease which has the weird rent-increase rider. There's an old thread around here somewhere where (I think) someone else pulled out the relevant language.

But you don't have to rely on my memory--keep going and eventually you'll get a copy of the lease and can see for yourself.

ST has its problems for sure (more since the NYU undergrad population increased), but it's got a good location (at least, if you're not stuck out towards Ave C) and the apartments are large for NYC. I have to talk myself out of it every time--but the "affordable" rents are ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: