Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 03:32 AM

106,637 posts, read 108,790,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
maybe it was verizon's way to divorce their unwelcomed customer...
i think in the cable business that is their business plan.. they can only have just so many customers before having to pump massive amounts of money in the infrastructure so they are better off with less customers paying more ..

kind of like when people move into an area and overwhelm the school or hospital ..you need to build new facilities but yet don't have enough to fill them profitably
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 03:39 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i think in the cable business that is their business plan.. they can only have just so many customers before having to pump massive amounts of money in the infrastructure so they are better off with less customers paying more ..

kind of like when people move into an area and overwhelm the school or hospital ..you need to build new facilities but yet don't have enough to fill them profitably
That makes sense to me. When I first got Spectrum (Time Warner), it was 25/4 for $39.99/mo. Went up to $49.99 and 50/4. Now I check and it's 300/something.

I'm fighting whether I want to keep them or switch to FIOS. Their internet is better, but Spectrum hasn't burned me yet and I've been nearly 5 years with them. Latency could be better though, and that I know FIOS does better.

Old 02-01-2019, 03:42 PM

we cancelled fios yesterday and installed spectrum ... of course now that we actually cancelled they offer these deals and wanted us to okay someone coming to re-install fios .

we told them nope ---they had a chance to keep us and not only offered us nothing but said we were being raised ... we saved 50 a month with spectrum guaranteed for 2 years .. so 1200 bucks right there

Old 02-01-2019, 03:44 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,882,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I have no cell phone service.
But I have been with Verizon triple play (land/VOIP line, TV and internet) for 9 years...about $151/mo. I have alternative of SPectrum and my contract with FIOS ecpires in June.
I don't know whether to stay or switch. (One DVR box, one basic box, HBO and SHO, two wired phones)

Opinions welcome?
>I am tired of seeing the rightward swing of Verizon with Fascist news and religious nonsense.>
Your fios is ridiculously high. Cut them. go with spectrum. You shouldn’t be paying more than $90 for triple play. Less for just tv and internet

Old 02-01-2019, 03:46 PM

we pay 149.00 with taxes with spectrums deal we got yesterday ... we have triple play and gold tier channel package with upgraded internet speed -2 dvr's ... fios was 178.00 and going to 200.. the packages are cheaper with the phone with both fios and spectrum .. we got it but don't use it .

everything requires packages today so unless the cheaper low end package has the channels you want they don't do you any good ...so no one can say what "it should cos"t .
we don't watch a lot of tv but we want the channels we watch .. we had to upgrade two tiers to get them . that was 25 extra

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-01-2019 at 04:01 PM..

Old 05-03-2019, 05:01 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,081,883 times
I'm still using DSL but Verizon sent me a letter saying they are removing their copper wire network and I have to switch to fios or they will close my account. I think I will switch to Spectrum for internet and voice as it's cheaper and it seems like the only equipment needed is a small modem/router as compared to fios needing to install their equipment in a closet. How is the installation process? I don't have cable now so I don't have a coax cable coming into my house.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:33 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we pay 149.00 with taxes with spectrums deal we got yesterday ... we have triple play and gold tier channel package with upgraded internet speed -2 dvr's ... fios was 178.00 and going to 200.. the packages are cheaper with the phone with both fios and spectrum .. we got it but don't use it .

everything requires packages today so unless the cheaper low end package has the channels you want they don't do you any good ...so no one can say what "it should cos"t .
we don't watch a lot of tv but we want the channels we watch .. we had to upgrade two tiers to get them . that was 25 extra

mathjak,

Are you still happy with your switch to SPectrum?
What is your total for taxes and fees?
Is each DVR independent, so that if I want to be able to watch a Game of Thrones episode in either the LR or the BR, I would have to set it up TWICE?
Was installation free? Any suggestions on haggling them back down?

Verizon wants about $45 more per month.

I have to choose in 3 weeks.

Last edited by Kefir King; 05-16-2019 at 11:15 AM..

Old 05-16-2019, 10:46 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,706,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
That makes sense to me. When I first got Spectrum (Time Warner), it was 25/4 for $39.99/mo. Went up to $49.99 and 50/4. Now I check and it's 300/something.

I'm fighting whether I want to keep them or switch to FIOS. Their internet is better, but Spectrum hasn't burned me yet and I've been nearly 5 years with them. Latency could be better though, and that I know FIOS does better.
FIOS is better, but most casual users will not notice any difference.
Unless you play fps video games and care about low ping, or if you're rendering and uploading videos to youtube as your full time job, Spectrum/FIOS are all the same.

When it comes to tech people always want bigger and better, but they don't actually utilize the capacity anyway. Just like you wouldn't buy 4k OLED high refresh rate monitor just for watching posts on city data, the difference between FIOS/Spectrum is miniscule if the most intense thing you're doing is streaming TV shows.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:01 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,081,883 times
Quote:
mathjak,

Is each DVR independent, so that if I want to be able to watch a Game of Thrones episode in either the LR or the BR, I would have to set it up TWICE?

I'm not mathjak but installation is $49.99. Some more info here:

https://www.cabletv.com/blog/hidden-costs-of-spectrum

Old 05-16-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
mathjak,

Meh..... they seem to have more technical issues and are either down or missing the guide ... they are behind technically too in comparison ....with fios we could record on any dvr in any room and watch it in another room ... with spectrum I can’t dvr in the living room and watch it in the bedroom , each dvr stands alone , how primitive today... we liked having YouTube on the tv from fios .... we also find internet is slower..

But fios wanted to charge us 60 more a month so we said bye for now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: