Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 06:28 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,462,462 times

Advertisements

I had a Verizon DSL line from the beginning of the Internet, since Dial Up ended. I could not get FIOS in my building, even though Verizon has installed the boxes. Weird. A few months ago switched to Spectrum for Internet and TV, which I stream, and am saving about $60 a month, including the transfer of a landline, which I rarely use but somehow can't give up. There were a lot of installation problems with Spectrum, but I can't complain, as they were truly on the case. Three technicians came out in one week to reinstall the line. The last one changed the router, and then I reinstalled the wireless adapter on the computer, and everything has run perfectly since then. Despite everything horrible I heard about Spectrum, I'm happy with the service, and their attention to my installation problem. I've had Verizon for my cellphone in the past, but got a better deal with T-Mobile, especially for international service, and so switched. I think Verizon wireless might be a touch better than T-Mobile, which people complain about, but the differences are negligible, and T-Mobile has much better international rates if you travel. I think Spectrum has improved tremendously. Nothing like a lawsuit to whip a company into shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 11:09 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,914,784 times
I currently have RCN for internet only - when I moved into my apartment in March 2016, had cable/internet, had to upgrade the channel package to get what I wanted. The bill was around $120/$130....in Oct 2017, I dropped cable and went to internet only, and started streaming all of my TV. My bill went down to $54....they've slowly been creeping up since then.

I'm moving soon, and plan to install Fios internet only. Should be around $70 a month.

I'm currently a little salty towards RCN as my service has been out since Sunday. Which means not only can I not work from home as I normally do twice a week, but my only entertainment option is to play a DVD.

Old 05-17-2019, 02:41 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I'm not mathjak but installation is $49.99. Some more info here:

https://www.cabletv.com/blog/hidden-costs-of-spectrum

Thank you Martin, that link was very helpful.

Old 05-17-2019, 02:46 PM

Lix,

Hook a pair of rabbit ears into your TV's antenna input. You will be amazed at the channels you will get.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:09 PM

So, Moving415. what I glean from your installation problems is that it might be better to pay the $49.95 installation fee and lay any problem on THEM rather than try a DIY. I am under a tremendous amount of stress lately so I don't need more.

Thank you everyone. I appreciate the help.

Old 05-17-2019, 04:41 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,914,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Lix,

Hook a pair of rabbit ears into your TV's antenna input. You will be amazed at the channels you will get.
I'd have to go procure a pair of rabbit ears to do that. Thankfully they fixed it this afternoon and I am back online. My Hulu queue is currently hefty but that's ok, it'll keep me occupied after Game of Thrones is over.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:52 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,462,462 times
[quote=Kefir King;55203886]So, Moving415. what I glean from your installation problems is that it might be better to pay the $49.95 installation fee and lay any problem on THEM rather than try a DIY. I am under a tremendous amount of stress lately so I don't need more.

No, Spectrum did install it. No way am I DYI. Are you serious? I think they waived the fee as part of the incentive package. They had difficulty installing the line. But were very quick to fix the problem. They sent 3 technicians out in one week, always at my convenience, and the same day that I called. The last technician tried a different router than the ones the other technicians had given me, and that fixed the problem. I've had fast, flawless service since then. I stream TV now. It's a great improvement over my Verizon DSL (again, I cannot get FIOS, so cannot compare to othat), and I'm saving some money, too. Eventually I'll drop the landline and save more, although it's only $10/month to keep that line.The only DIY thing I did was reinstall the wireless adapter on my computer to further stabilize the wireless connection. Have had zero problems since I made this switch in January.

Last edited by Moving415; 05-18-2019 at 10:02 AM..

Old 05-18-2019, 12:16 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,472,390 times
I just switched from Spectrum to Fios. The data service is much better. The TV? Eh. I took one of there station packages. I doesn't have a lot of the little non-premium channels I got with Spectrum. I miss some of those. One of the techs who did the install gave me a hint as to how to get them back, but I have to wait 30 days from the start to try. I don't like their guide screen as much. They don't have start over, which I found useful. But they also don't have the bit rate dropouts Spectrum had constantly. So it's a trade off. Also, Fios is around $70/month cheaper.

I'll see what happens when I try to rearrange the package. That will tell if I like this long term or not.

Last edited by BBMW; 05-18-2019 at 12:59 PM..

Old 05-18-2019, 12:49 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Stick to FiOs, you get what you pay for.

I should have signed up immediately after Hurricane Sandy, my bill would have been prolly still under $200 had I not waited a year. I pay $225 for 3 HD STBs (1 with DVR), landline and 75/75. I have every premium channel. I even picked my phone exchange out. Sorry I'm old school, but I wanted a specific phone exchange. Verizon has my money until further notice.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-20-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Stick to FiOs, you get what you pay for.

I should have signed up immediately after Hurricane Sandy, my bill would have been prolly still under $200 had I not waited a year. I pay $225 for 3 HD STBs (1 with DVR), landline and 75/75. I have every premium channel. I even picked my phone exchange out. Sorry I'm old school, but I wanted a specific phone exchange. Verizon has my money until further notice.

I liked everything you said, except for the $225.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: