Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 05:49 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,860 times

Advertisements

Everyone should quit their jobs, so that the rent seeking exploitative class no longer make their cash (sitting on their butts) off the backs of those actually doing the work, while bleeding those same workers dry and giving them barely enough to survive. It's modern day feudalism created by vulture capitalism. Capitalism needs balance and clearly, the trickle down theory over the past 40 years is not working for the many, but only the few and something has to give before there is an out and out revolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 10:30 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Homelessloser's name is fitting.

Not only is his math bad, but what he doesn't understand is that in his fantasy world where if every person in this country got $1 million, then the value of the currency quickly crashes and inflation would be out of control. $1 million would suddenly and essentially be the new $10 because everyone has it. In other words, its buying power would crash.
Of course, these principles are central to the concepts of inflation and currency valuations. If you give everyone the same amount of money at the same time, in a perfectly efficient market you have given them exactly nothing. Of course if they stagger the handout, you want to be the first to buy a million dollars worth of gold and buy even more on credit before that money is worthless and the seller is left holding the bag.

Economics is typically a zero sum game, for every winner you have a loser, unless you have growth at the macro level which is what you need for the economy to "get ahead". But everyone can't "get ahead" because there would be literally nobody to get ahead of.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:16 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Everyone should quit their jobs, so that the rent seeking exploitative class no longer make their cash (sitting on their butts) off the backs of those actually doing the work, while bleeding those same workers dry and giving them barely enough to survive. It's modern day feudalism created by vulture capitalism. Capitalism needs balance and clearly, the trickle down theory over the past 40 years is not working for the many, but only the few and something has to give before there is an out and out revolution.

Um...

I work. I own a 3 family home. I live in 1 unit, rent 1 unit, and 1 unit needs renovation that I cant afford. The one unit that I rent is going for less than half its value on the open rental market for reasons that I wont get into.

Anyone who owns a home in the five boros, whether they rent anything or not, just got an increase in their property assessment of around 100K +/- at the very least. This translates into an increase in property tax.

I can agree with much of what you say however, I have a hard time reconciling that Im working to pay property taxes and supposed to be feeling like a vulture capitalist - sorry.

That said, if all structures have received these same increases in assessed value and tax it could explain why, and where some of the money in the OP is coming from. I guess I never realized how tax happy Dems are before now.

Ignorance truly is bliss...

Old 01-28-2019, 05:43 AM

270 posts, read 145,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Um...

I work. I own a 3 family home. I live in 1 unit, rent 1 unit, and 1 unit needs renovation that I cant afford. The one unit that I rent is going for less than half its value on the open rental market for reasons that I wont get into.

Anyone who owns a home in the five boros, whether they rent anything or not, just got an increase in their property assessment of around 100K +/- at the very least. This translates into an increase in property tax.

I can agree with much of what you say however, I have a hard time reconciling that Im working to pay property taxes and supposed to be feeling like a vulture capitalist - sorry.

That said, if all structures have received these same increases in assessed value and tax it could explain why, and where some of the money in the OP is coming from. I guess I never realized how tax happy Dems are before now.

This...👍

Old 01-28-2019, 08:57 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Um...

Where in NYC is the house

Old 01-31-2019, 09:14 AM

43 posts, read 49,356 times
Quote:

Hubs and I closed on a multi-family in Baychester last October. While our property assessment did go up, it was not anywhere NEAR 100k...

Old 02-19-2019, 05:07 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,860 times
Quote:
Um...

I guess Ignorance is bliss since your long winded statement clearly indicates you do not know what rent-seeking means. I also set up a trap and I knew one of these CD people would have a knee-jerk reaction and respond as you did.

"Rent-seeking is an attempt to obtain economic rent (i.e., the portion of income paid to a factor of production in excess of what is needed to keep it employed in its current use) by manipulating the social or political"

Here is a clear and easy definition for you. https://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/rentseeking.asp

You have a job. In almost all models of employment in this country, someone else is profiting off of the fruits of your labor which means someone else is making money off of your labor while sitting on their butt. Now there is nothing inherently wrong with that, if someone is taking a risk with their capital, and if the fruits of labor are distributed equitably. But in the past 40 years, productivity has increased, profits have increased, and labor remains flat. The pie is bigger, but the portion of those doing the productive work, has in essence shrunk. If a laborer gets 1/4 of the pie, but the pie becomes larger because they were more productive, they should be benefiting proportionally to those productivity increases. Instead the pie got bigger their slice didn't remain proportionally the same. If it did, their incomes would have risen. (All boats would have risen.) Incomes would not have remained stagnant for the past 40 years. Instead, their portion of the pie actually got smaller, and their incomes were flat while the overall pie got bigger, due to their labor, their productivity.

I believe in merit. I don't believe in stealing other people's productivity and then pretending its because they work harder, or are more clever, when they aren't.

Last edited by roseba; 02-19-2019 at 05:22 AM..

Old 02-19-2019, 08:31 PM

286 posts, read 210,984 times
Are you saying that is was conveyer workers at Ford's factory who increased the productivity and not Ford who created the conveyer?

Old 02-19-2019, 09:08 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,477,629 times
how about a subway system first?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City