Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2019, 03:38 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,090,818 times

Advertisements

Thursday is the recycling day on my block. During the spring, summer, and fall they collect before dawn on Thursday. During winter they still collect at night but they do it very late Thursday night or early Friday morning. That means recycling is by the curb for over 30 hours. On windy days like today you wouldn't believe the crap that gets blown down the block by people who put loose papers and cans in recycling containers and loose cartons by the curb. I can understand the night collections are probably related to staffing in case it snows but why not just pick up early morning Thursday as they do rest of the year? I'm tired of cleaning up other people's loose papers, cans, and cartons on days full of 30-40 mph gusts. And it would be nice if people bagged their recyclables so when their garbage cans inevitably get blown over their stuff doesn't get blown piecemeal down the block.

End of rant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 05:47 PM

294 posts, read 263,599 times
I just got done walking my mutts and there's recycling blown all over my neighborhood! I live in SE Qns, and unfortunately, folks around here aren't so quick to clean up the mess. I dont know how someone can own a house and NOT sweep their sidewalk and gutter everyday.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:27 PM

3,738 posts, read 3,474,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I can understand the night collections are probably related to staffing in case it snows but why not just pick up early morning Thursday as they do rest of the year?
Correct.
In the winter months DSNY goes into "Night Plow" meaning they takes guys that cover your section and have them pickup at night instead of early morning. This way there is sufficient staffing in your district in case there is a surprise snowfall or freezing conditions requiring salt spreading.

Want your garbage picked up in the morning like the rest of the year as well as have people available to plow overnight in case of winter weather at the same time? Let your Mayor and local representatives know to hire more Sanitation workers so that there is enough manpower to do both.

Otherwise tell your neighbors to clean up their property if garbage/recycling gets blown around.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:38 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Majority if not most property owners *do* package their recyclables correctly before putting on curb. Problem comes from the GD "dumpster divers", homeless, freegans and everyone else who digs through garbage once it hits the curb.

Residential or commercial once stuff hits the curb it's like rats to rubbish, it is soon opened and scattered about as people root about for anything of value they can get.

This and or where recycling containers are outside of buildings, there is a daily (or nightly) conga line of people digging through those dumpsters/cans looking for whatever.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:31 PM

16,093 posts, read 6,863,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Thursday is the recycling day on my block. During the spring, summer, and fall they collect before dawn on Thursday. During winter they still collect at night but they do it very late Thursday night or early Friday morning. That means recycling is by the curb for over 30 hours. On windy days like today you wouldn't believe the crap that gets blown down the block by people who put loose papers and cans in recycling containers and loose cartons by the curb. I can understand the night collections are probably related to staffing in case it snows but why not just pick up early morning Thursday as they do rest of the year? I'm tired of cleaning up other people's loose papers, cans, and cartons on days full of 30-40 mph gusts. And it would be nice if people bagged their recyclables so when their garbage cans inevitably get blown over their stuff doesn't get blown piecemeal down the block.

End of rant.

Ran into the same problem.
I got a ticket for someone else' wind blown trash and I couldn't beat it.
Now I take a photo of the trash and recycling on my property after I put it out.
It is now my only proof that my property was clean prior to placing garbage correctly and timely to the curb.
That's to the point where the city can drive you...........................

Old 01-11-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Majority if not most property owners *do* package their recyclables correctly before putting on curb. Problem comes from the GD "dumpster divers", homeless, freegans and everyone else who digs through garbage once it hits the curb.

Residential or commercial once stuff hits the curb it's like rats to rubbish, it is soon opened and scattered about as people root about for anything of value they can get.

This and or where recycling containers are outside of buildings, there is a daily (or nightly) conga line of people digging through those dumpsters/cans looking for whatever.
The recycling scavengers are not really the problem here. People put loose papers, plastic bottles, cans, etc. in trash cans for recycling. They don't weigh much so when the winds are gusting steadily like yesterday they tip over and the contents blow down the block. A lot of the crap they put in recycling aren't actually recyclable like styrofoam food containers. Got a few of them yesterday on my property and sidewalk. Then they put out cartons without folding and tying them up. I had a huge fruit carton (?) end up in the street by my curb cut. I found multiple junk mail envelopes from a neighbor all the way up the block so I walked over and uprighted his garbage can and put the loose stuff back in the can. Easier that way than waiting for it to come piece by piece. And it always seems like the windiest days are on recycling day.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:27 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,092,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Ran into the same problem.
I got a ticket for someone else' wind blown trash and I couldn't beat it.
Now I take a photo of the trash and recycling on my property after I put it out.
It is now my only proof that my property was clean prior to placing garbage correctly and timely to the curb.
That's to the point where the city can drive you...........................
Why not put a security camera outside your home?

Old 01-12-2019, 06:05 AM

16,093 posts, read 6,863,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Why not put a security camera outside your home?
Thanks.
Forgot to mention: Security cameras in place.
A quick snapshot and email from my mobile phone much faster to send than browsing through video history.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Thanks.
Forgot to mention: Security cameras in place.
A quick snapshot and email from my mobile phone much faster to send than browsing through video history.
Will that be a successful defense against a ticket? I think the city views it as still your problem if someone else's carelessness in disposing of trash/recycling or litter ends up on your sidewalk. On Friday, the day after trash collection, somebody (I don't know who) put out a bag of trash and the gusty winds blew it down the block where it stopped on my sidewalk. I had to take the bag of trash off the sidewalk and hold it until the next collection or risk getting a ticket for putting out garbage early. It sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City