Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 09:11 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
There are so many jobs. USAJOBS.GOV. Narrow it down to your field of intrest. You can beleive or you can do the leg work yourself. I know enough people in different agencies to know that that I am not an anomaly. Like I said it may take you one to 2 years to get hired due to slow pace of gov'ts hiring process. But having one of these jobs is a long term strategy. Once you are in you are golden.
I already know since I've been employed for over 10 years now with a city/state agency. My issue was with the salaries you pointed out for federal workers. I dont think people make $200k+ and even if they did, the people who are at these titles (probably high level managers who were appointed) are few and far between. The rank and file federal worker doesnt make that much on base salary alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 09:12 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
I was asking for job titles, not pay grades. Pay grades are often very large ranges which few employees receive. For example, the payrange for my civil service title is 64k-189k....I'm no where near even raking 100k. I have seen no one at my agency close to the max salary, most are near the minimum salary.

Also, now you mentioned having to work overseas, that's not going to cut it for most folks here, especially ones with families and kids.

As another poster mentioned, these jobs are not easily attainable. I have been with city government for 10.5 years now and have seen how long and difficult it is to get that first foot in the door job and get promoted within government. People are applying to government positions in record numbers since the 2008 recession as they value job security over higher pay. These federal jobs that pay more are going to be even tougher to get. Turnover is very low and supervisor/managerial openings are few and far between for me to apply to.
CBP is always hiring. In fact they pay relocation (as stated in the job announcement) for certain locations because it is so hard to find qualified candidates.

P.s. Many of these jobs require clean background, no drug use, decent/good credit. Many are nor able to pass the initial stages due to this.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:15 AM

Here is a recent article covering the average for federal salaries...again no where near $200-300k that you alluded to.

https://www.fedsmith.com/2018/02/24/...tates-compare/

Old 01-18-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
CBP is always hiring. In fact they pay relocation (as stated in the job announcement) for certain locations because it is so hard to find qualified candidates.

P.s. Many of these jobs require clean background, no drug use, decent/good credit. Many are nor able to pass the initial stages due to this.
Glassdoor has average cbp officer making $80k, decent but not lucrative.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I already know since I've been employed for over 10 years now with a city/state agency. My issue was with the salaries you pointed out for federal workers. I dont think people make $200k+ and even if they did, the people who are at these titles (probably high level managers who were appointed) are few and far between. The rank and file federal worker doesnt make that much on base salary alone.
I said people make $100k within the first 4 years. More after. If you have a 2 person household it is easy to clear $200k in a household. $200k household salary gets u a house. I know a few professional acquaintances who are late 20s mid 30s with $300k household. The thread is about the affordability of NYC and millennials experience. I was sharing mine.

A gs 13 or gs 14 first line supervisor easily earns $150k. Many first line jobs are obtained in the same manner u got your initial job. High test score, killer resume, good work experience and you will be selected for interview. Marry a teacher or nurse and you are winning. If you are going to date you better be smart about it lol. Being cute is not enough to have a stable lifestyle.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Glassdoor has average cbp officer making $80k, decent but not lucrative.
Ok. Are you going to belive glass door or are you going to belive the gov't website. CBP officers start at gs5/7. Some locations start at GS 9. They move to GS 9 in a year. GS 11 next year. GS 12 the next. Their overtime is somewhere around $35k to $45 per officer per year. You make as much as you want. Use it or loose it concept. You are paid night diffferential if you work after noon. You are paid for speaking a foreign language. You are often given awards/bonuses throughout the year.

The ones that I know who work in NYC make over $120k within the first five years...every...single ...year!

Old 01-18-2019, 09:58 AM

Anyways. That is the end. You can beleive or you can not. This is why I no longer forward hiring information to people. My experience and proof is not enough to convince them. They have a million reasons why NYC is unaffordable and a million reasons why they can't apply for these jobs.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:58 AM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
We're getting off topic.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-18-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Anyways. That is the end. You can beleive or you can not. This is why I no longer forward hiring information to people. My experience and proof is not enough to convince them. They have a million reasons why NYC is unaffordable and a million reasons why they can't apply for these jobs.
That's your take. I thought you were talking about a single person, not a household income as that is entirely different now. I have my own experience in government as well and even $100k for every worker who goes thru 4 years is not a reality from the agencies that I have been in.

I also peruse on seethroughny at mY leisure to see salaries. You would have be a supervisor at that salary and not everyone is going to be a supervisor, most are staff workers. I showed you more than just glassdoor, I showed you averages by state for federal workers in the first link. Thanks for sharing, but I just wanted to point out a caveat to your salary statement.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:02 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,884,678 times
Quote:
Government employment will never be the answer. We have an underemployment crisis and there are not enough Government jobs for those above age 35 let alone those below it. Of course in NYC the urgency to fix the problem is exacerbated because of the ridiculously high COL even outside of Manhattan.

$45k may be enough to get by in Ozone Park for a 37 year old that got an Associate's degree and fulfilled the 60 college credit requirement, did a civil service job for 10 years then transferred to some cushy admin role later on. Great for him/her.

In the meanwhile, what about the Gen Z kid that just graduated college last year trying to apply for entry level Govt jobs that claim you need no experience yet prefer those coming to the table with experience either who already did scored high on a civil service exam or already on the job. This is not 1996 anymore. Nobody wants to train.

Those who just made the cut before the gate closed seem to be the most out of touch oddly enough. The Boomers who had kids late in life and have Millennial children already know the deal. Government work is not a scaleable solution to address the wider demographic issue of Millennial underemployment.

Great it worked for you, GREAT!!!! But that's you. We are talking about hundreds of thousands of young people in their mid-20s. Unless you are advocating for a solution a la Ocasio Cortez then the employment primarily needs to come from the Private sector.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City