Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 02:53 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
this topic is data mining

That is seriously dangerous boy!
I would not touch that with anybody's 10 foot pole.
Good luck anyways.....................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
How will you know whether their answers differ from people who arrived 20, 30, 40, 50 years ago?
Well for the most part I will (should and hoping to) be able to figure out the mils from the X's and Boomers unless stated.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
i'll use predictive analysis and machine learning
More power to you........
Programming languages back in the days.................off a black and white monitor.
Now my head glows at night once I turn off the lights....L.O.L.

I enjoy the study of statistics, data ,predictions etc..

You got a good head on your shoulders.
Good Luck to you..............

Enjoy the search. Remember the sunscreen L.O.L.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 01-12-2019 at 03:16 PM..

Old 01-12-2019, 05:22 PM

42 posts, read 48,421 times
I was born in the Bronx and moved to East NY after college with my then boyfriend. In 2005, our rent was only $900 for a 2 bedroom apartment, so we were able to aggressively save money for a wedding and then a house.
I'm an older millennial, so my husband and I were able to buy a decent house for $315K in Queens 9 years ago, after the real estate collapse. I have a good job making just under 6 figures. We can afford for my husband to be a stay-at-home Dad while our children are young. We don't live an extravagant life but still enjoy meals out, annual vacations, a car, etc...
We do plan on staying in NY for the next 20 years, but may relocate after retirement and after our kids have finished college.
Friends my own age are generally fine because we were able to start our lives as young adults during good economic times when rents were still reasonable. However, I have some colleagues who are about 10 years younger and faced a much different world after College. They have to have multiple roomates, side hustles and can't afford to buy houses here. It really is unfair how younger millennials are deemed as lazy. They are just trying to get their start in a very different economy than the rest of us. Had I been born a few years later, I would not be sitting in my own home right now.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:25 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,299,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
How have you acclimated to life in New York?
Do you find it expensive living here or are you getting by?
Are you satisfied with your line of work and rate of pay?
Do you pay rent or own your own home?
Do you plan on staying or leaving ?

There's a ton of questions I have left out but would prefer to hear from you.
I am trying to understand if millenials ( homebred or transplants ) are experiencing a good or bad time as a New Yorker.
Curious minds would like to know.

I love NYC! As my name states.
I find it very affordable to live here. We spend less than 10% of our gross salary on our mortgage.
My work is intresting and stimulating. It also pays well. Well enough for my lifestyle.
We own. Our second house.
We plan on keeping a residence in NYC when we retire, just downsizing a bit.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:29 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raginrivers View Post
I was born in the Bronx and moved to East NY after college with my then boyfriend. In 2005, our rent was only $900 for a 2 bedroom apartment, so we were able to aggressively save money for a wedding and then a house.
I'm an older millennial, so my husband and I were able to buy a decent house for $315K in Queens 9 years ago, after the real estate collapse. I have a good job making just under 6 figures. We can afford for my husband to be a stay-at-home Dad while our children are young. We don't live an extravagant life but still enjoy meals out, annual vacations, a car, etc...
We do plan on staying in NY for the next 20 years, but may relocate after retirement and after our kids have finished college.
Friends my own age are generally fine because we were able to start our lives as young adults during good economic times when rents were still reasonable. However, I have some colleagues who are about 10 years younger and faced a much different world after College. They have to have multiple roomates, side hustles and can't afford to buy houses here. It really is unfair how younger millennials are deemed as lazy. They are just trying to get their start in a very different economy than the rest of us. Had I been born a few years later, I would not be sitting in my own home right now.

that's actually pretty impressive. Especially having your husband at home while you make under 6 figures. Do you have a car? Are you near the subway?

Old 01-13-2019, 01:01 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,682,286 times
These answers are kind of ridiculous and not at all indicative of millennials on the whole.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:02 AM

42 posts, read 48,421 times
Quote:
that's actually pretty impressive. Especially having your husband at home while you make under 6 figures. Do you have a car? Are you near the subway?
Thank you. 😀 We do have a car. Our first car was used and we paid $4k cash for it. We had that for 6 years until it died on us. We then got a new car with 0% financing and paid it off in 2 years by making an additional payment using an entire tax return. Having that additional car payment was really tough financially as we had to dip into savings. But now that it's paid off, we plan on using that car until it dies on us too. No Upgrade for us.
We live 8 minutes from the J/Z train, not a stellar train, but at least it gets us to Manhattan. We also live near the BM5 and QM15 which are great options when you don't feel like dealing with crowded trains.
We live pretty simple lives. We make coffee, breakfast and lunch at home, so that we don't have to spend money out during the week. When grocery Shopping, we buy only necessary staples or sale items. We're not really drinkers, so we'll only go out for happy hour with friends once every 2-3 months. But we're mostly homebodies.
We both grew up poor, so we know the value of a dollar and how to make it stretch.
Something that we're not able to do right now is build up our savings. We'll go back to aggressively saving when he goes back to work next year.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:40 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,356,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raginrivers View Post
Thank you. 😀 We do have a car. Our first car was used and we paid $4k cash for it. We had that for 6 years until it died on us. We then got a new car with 0% financing and paid it off in 2 years by making an additional payment using an entire tax return. Having that additional car payment was really tough financially as we had to dip into savings. But now that it's paid off, we plan on using that car until it dies on us too. No Upgrade for us.
We live 8 minutes from the J/Z train, not a stellar train, but at least it gets us to Manhattan. We also live near the BM5 and QM15 which are great options when you don't feel like dealing with crowded trains.
We live pretty simple lives. We make coffee, breakfast and lunch at home, so that we don't have to spend money out during the week. When grocery Shopping, we buy only necessary staples or sale items. We're not really drinkers, so we'll only go out for happy hour with friends once every 2-3 months. But we're mostly homebodies.
We both grew up poor, so we know the value of a dollar and how to make it stretch.
Something that we're not able to do right now is build up our savings. We'll go back to aggressively saving when he goes back to work next year.
This was so incredibly refreshing to read. I am not a millennial (GenX here) but wanted to wish you the best! You designed your life the way I did mine and it shows that you can live here without being rich and without being totally deprived, and in your case, even with kids. It's all a matter of priorities. Good for you!

Old 01-13-2019, 07:57 AM

283 posts, read 233,578 times
During my time here I've had millennial friends running the gamut of socioeconomic statuses, from poor working class to solid six figure salaries and a generous parental hand. I personally don't know anyone who's filthy wealthy or has a trust fund... I assume people like that fervently guard their social circle lest a gold digger or proletariat mooch try to dig themselves in. Heh.

What may be surprising is, at least based on my repeated observation, is that it's typically my six-figure friends who tend to work the most, the high five-figure friends who strike the best balance in lifestyle though they can't save for retirement if they go overboard, and the low five-figure working class friends who seem the most stressed (about money) but often work the least.

Your experience in NYC will vary dramatically. NYC is a big place. Due to the timing of the market, none of my millennial friends can afford palatial apartments but several of them do own their units, including in new buildings, all 1-bedrooms or studios. Others are spending half their paycheck on rent but manage to live alone, while others are living with multiple roommates in the far reaches of the outerboros
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City