Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 10:18 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,861,990 times

Advertisements

Finally, economic evidence to back up anecdotal testimonies. It's relevant in NYC because so many people come to the Big Apple to start in low skilled jobs with the hope of working up the career ladder. But data suggests that starting from the bottom is no longer a viable option, at least in the statistical sense:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/11/u...ers-wages.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 10:22 AM

8,104 posts, read 6,749,452 times
60 minutes is airing a segment on artificial intelligence and how it will affect jobs in the future. It doesn’t sound good for low skilled workers.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:09 AM

To think many of the affected occupations are not low skilled. It takes a fair amount of skill to be a decent server, bartender, fitness trainer, copyrighter, or commercial writer in NYC yet these jobs are facing a future of low wages.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:11 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,574,528 times
Some time it really depends on the circumstances, as well as the type of job. I don't think the study is always true for every situation, but in general is pretty accurate. I personally wouldn't rely on such statistic.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
Some time it really depends on the circumstances, as well as the type of job. I don't think the study is always true for every situation, but in general is pretty accurate. I personally wouldn't rely on such statistic.
If there was a lucrative exception then a lot of people would flock to it in which case it would become the rule.

Old 01-13-2019, 02:07 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,838,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Finally, economic evidence to back up anecdotal testimonies. It's relevant in NYC because so many people come to the Big Apple to start in low skilled jobs with the hope of working up the career ladder. But data suggests that starting from the bottom is no longer a viable option, at least in the statistical sense:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/11/u...ers-wages.html

Interesting read.
Speaks volumes.
A person in a vocational trade would have required little to no schooling 100 years ago.
That same person 50 years ago would have had 4 years in a vocational high school.
That same person today would have to have something close to an engineering degree.
Why?

Take the field of electricity.
100 years ago a radio had maybe one electron tube and a few board components.
If the radio went bad you change the tube and presto you were a radio repairman.

50 years ago a radio went bad. You had to pull out your logic probe and test your
digital Integrated Chips and pull out your meter to check varying voltages and presto
you were a technician.

Today a radio goes bad on you but it is part of your online internet.
You need to have the abilities to troubleshoot your tower,laptop, reinstall software,
understand python and be familiar with graphical user interface programming to make
repairs to modify or reccreate applications to reconnect to hard components connected
to your computer which pulls in stations for your hardwared radio and presto you are an engineer.

We are in the Technological Age. Never has there been a period in time when human beings have been mentally
pressed and challenged. IQ's of 100.............ain't gonna cut it. 110,120,130,140 and up equals security...............
By chance those with above average IQ and hard work ethics will squeak by........................
Technology is the game changer. Be prepared or be replaced.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 01-13-2019 at 02:38 PM..

Old 01-13-2019, 05:42 PM

106,625 posts, read 108,773,903 times
Quote:
To think many of the affected occupations are not low skilled. It takes a fair amount of skill to be a decent server, bartender, fitness trainer, copyrighter, or commercial writer in NYC yet these jobs are facing a future of low wages.
making money is all about doing the things others can't or won't do for themselves . the more that can do a job function the less it is valued .

the septic guy we used in PA when we had the house had a grade school education and a business worth millions .

i hada high school diploma and hvac trade school , no engineering degree . yet spent decades as a sales engineer designing control panels for the water pumping and sewage treatment plants . i am retired today but i still teach motor controls and variable frequency drives to engineers one day a week .

all self taught plus the factory training i could get .

Old 01-13-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
making money is all about doing the things others can't or won't do for themselves . the more that can do a job function the less it is valued .

the septic guy we used in PA when we had the house had a grade school education and a business worth millions .

i hada high school diploma and hvac trade school , no engineering degree . yet spent decades as a sales engineer designing control panels for the water pumping and sewage treatment plants . i am retired today but i still teach motor controls and variable frequency drives to engineers one day a week .

all self taught plus the factory training i could get .
These are not low skilled jobs.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:16 AM

31,902 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Now you understand why Bill de Boob, Corey Johnston, Richie Torres and nearly every other left/ bleeding heart liberal/progressive democrat is handing out taxpayer money like candy. This and or pushing all sorts of policies designed to address "inequality".

Pretty much same thing entire DNC right down the line. Can't do better than a minimum wage job? Don't worry, democrats between raising that wage to nearly $20/hr., forcing employers to give huge amounts of PTO and all will make that low wage job nearly comparable to high skilled.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:49 AM

106,625 posts, read 108,773,903 times
Quote:
These are not low skilled jobs.
sure they are , no one wants to do them . the bulk of their work is just pumping out septic tanks , no different then pumping gas ..

money is always going to be found where others cant or wont do something..

there are lots of things those with low skills can learn to do as long as they have the drive , motivation and ability to learn .

i not only teach engineers but i teach our warehouse people and picker packers . quite a few have taken what they learned and moved up the ranks .

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-14-2019 at 04:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: