Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 10:06 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,883,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
It is a Mexican area? Or more so Central American?
Both, might literally be an even 50/50 split
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 08:33 PM

1,110 posts, read 983,059 times
It is probably the best/safest neighborhood in the city. The houses are going for at least 1 million. I have not seen many Hispanics. It is predominantly Chinese and Korean. And the closer it gets to Flushing, the higher property value is

Old 01-16-2019, 08:45 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Both, might literally be an even 50/50 split
Interesting, I never really hear people talk about Hispanics in Flushing. I guess it's an outgrowrh of Corona

Old 01-17-2019, 12:16 AM

7 posts, read 7,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFanMan View Post
There was just an MS 13 murder there a few weeks ago by 165 street. There are a ton of Chinese brothels up and down 162nd street which draws in a lot of black criminals from downtown Flushing. You're better off over in Bayside but you'll be fine where you are. Just be aware after midnight.

Wow! Good that I will be on the north side of Northern Blvd. That's pretty damn close to 165th St. at Depot Rd. Thanks!

Old 01-17-2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFanMan View Post
The rule is the further East you go on Northern blvd the better it gets.

Looks like I am better off at the location I mentioned above in Bayside! Thanks!

Old 01-17-2019, 12:24 AM

Default Crime and Gang Statistics in Queens

Here is the crime statistics for NYC but I looked specifically in Queens around Flushing and Bayside. Bayside is definitely better overall:
https://maps.nyc.gov/crime/

Gangs statistics in NYC. Again, I looked in Queens here as well:
Gangs of NYC and how close you live to them ? INTERACTIVE MAP | NY Daily News
Here, you can see the the gang by the name OFC (Original Flushing Crew) is in the territory that I will be in.

Being that I have not moved in yet and on a month-to-month lease, I may be able to revoke it but I may lose my security deposit. It may be worth losing it and not worth the risk of living in a gang territory.

Last edited by PogiBklyn; 01-17-2019 at 12:25 AM.. Reason: Link not clickable

Old 01-17-2019, 07:52 AM

1,110 posts, read 983,059 times
Saying bayside is better than. Flushing is just not right. Flushing is more convenient and a commercial center. Bayside is more residential. There is no better or worse. All depends on your perspective. By the way, the broadway historic area (north of Nothern and around 155th) is the best neighborhood in northeast queens

Old 01-17-2019, 12:36 PM

16,029 posts, read 6,840,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
Saying bayside is better than. Flushing is just not right. Flushing is more convenient and a commercial center. Bayside is more residential. There is no better or worse. All depends on your perspective. By the way, the broadway historic area (north of Nothern and around 155th) is the best neighborhood in northeast queens

One needs to confront crime statistics as part of the entire mixed salad of thought when it comes to
moving to any location. There is nothing more foolish than ignoring even one variable in any equation.
High crime is the biggest game changer.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:21 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,883,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Interesting, I never really hear people talk about Hispanics in Flushing. I guess it's an outgrowrh of Corona
I started noticing increased Mexican presence in downtown Flushing around the start of the recession in 08. The last census in '10 probably didn't catch it. The 2020 census will show a huge increase in Hispanics in Flushing as well as Bayside. Hispanic and Chinese culture share similarities in that they are OK living on top of each other, prioritize family above all else and do not have individualistic mentalities, and many more things in common aside from that. There are Chinese learning a great deal of Spanish (but usually not the other way around because for older European languages like Spanish - Chinese is even more of a challenge than it is for an English speaker).

That being said, there are a ton of Chinese investors and businesses in Latin America but not in Spain. Spaniards are anal about their language and too difficult for the Chinese to communicate with. Unless you are Cuban of Chinese descent.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:37 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
I started noticing increased Mexican presence in downtown Flushing around the start of the recession in 08. The last census in '10 probably didn't catch it. The 2020 census will show a huge increase in Hispanics in Flushing as well as Bayside. Hispanic and Chinese culture share similarities in that they are OK living on top of each other, prioritize family above all else and do not have individualistic mentalities, and many more things in common aside from that. There are Chinese learning a great deal of Spanish (but usually not the other way around because for older European languages like Spanish - Chinese is even more of a challenge than it is for an English speaker).

That being said, there are a ton of Chinese investors and businesses in Latin America but not in Spain. Spaniards are anal about their language and too difficult for the Chinese to communicate with. Unless you are Cuban of Chinese descent.
Mexicans have really spread their presence in all 4 of the outer boroughs. I really think their culture is becoming more and more of a mainstream part of the city. And yeah, I agree that Chinese is very hard for Westerners to learn. Between the tones and writing system alone, it seems pretty overwhelming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City