Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 09:15 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,737,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
No! I'm not the biggest fan of DiBlasio, but the Garner incident was in the beginning of his term. A term where NYPD had yet to transition from the overzealous stop and frisk and quality of life initiatives of the previous administration(s).

I notice that you didn't respond to the first part, of releasing Dorismond's juvenile records
. A mayor that wants us to obey the law, but couldn't do it, himself. Any regular employee who releases any sealed records without court order, let alone juvenile, would not only get fired, but be brought up on charges! Many people believe Rudy and Safir should have gone to jail for doing that!

By the way, crime was staring go down at the end of Dinkins term. But Dinkins didn't have enough PR to help his re-election, because his entire team and entire party abandoned him. And that US Open Deal Dinkins inked saved the city from losing a lot of revenue! A LOT of revenue!
Who cares? Don't do the crime if you don't want it reported.
Saying Crime went down during the end of the Dinkins administration is like saying you don't need the fire department to put the fire out because the house already burnt to the ground.
The US Open is what? A week a year? WOW! What would we have done had they left?

Old 01-22-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Read Andrew Kirtzman's "Emporor of the City!" Rudy wasn't this decisive leader people thought he was on 9/11. Him and whatever FDNY detail was left couldn't find a firehouse, because all were shut! They had to consider "shooting the lock!"

And I read Rudy's book on Leadership, where he gave an entire chapter to Kerik. Only to have Kerik's corruption charges and conviction blew up right in Rudy's face!
I remember hearing those guys talking about that. It's not like it was a big secret.

Old 01-23-2019, 02:43 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,599,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFanMan View Post
Just be honest dude. You hate him because he was white and you are black. You trying to argue against pure facts and statistics isn't gonna work, especially on born/bred/raised NYers. Maybe some silly transient will buy your nonsense that Dinkins or Koch set the wheels in motion. They were horrendous.
Who said I was black ? I am a born and raised NYer who lived thru the 70s and 80s. I have no idea what your ranting about. However, I will repeat Giuiliani was an ok mayor, not a saviour. Believe what you want but your type of thinking has fed the buffoon' s ego for years. Tough talking politicians seem to attract a certain type of voter who fails to think.

Last edited by bxlover; 01-23-2019 at 02:55 AM..

Old 01-23-2019, 02:52 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,599,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
You people have short memories.

Rudy lead this city during a time of national crisis when for a few brief hours there was no leadership out of DC because all of our leaders were being ferried to safety in an undisclosed location or hiding out at 48,000 feet in Airforce 1. Rudy Guliani was on the ground, he was at ground zero. He went there. He didn't just happen to be there.

Now, that being said he made what I thought at the time was one of the dumbest decisions he could have made years earlier when he put the City's OEM in 7 WTC. That decision nearly cost him and others their lives.
You know just because you want to elevate Rudy to the level of a Saint for doing his job is your choice. Don't get angry at us for not drinking the Rudy popoganda. The Rudy we see today lying, seeming to make stupid arguments, and talking tough is the same man who was mayor.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:50 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,674,904 times
Quote:
Who cares? Don't do the crime if you don't want it reported.
Saying Crime went down during the end of the Dinkins administration is like saying you don't need the fire department to put the fire out because the house already burnt to the ground.
The US Open is what? A week a year? WOW! What would we have done had they left?
But releasing juvy records IS illegal. In other words, THAT'S A CRIME!

The community policing initiatives of Dinkins was starting to work! But y'all want the overzealous, in your face cops. On Sept 10, 2001, much of the city, even Rudy's supporters, were getting tired of Rudy. Everything from overzealous cops to his divorce.

The US Open makes more money for the city in those two weeks than four New York sports franchises the entire year!

Old 01-23-2019, 04:57 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,143 times
Quote:
You people have short memories.

Rudy lead this city during a time of national crisis when for a few brief hours there was no leadership out of DC because all of our leaders were being ferried to safety in an undisclosed location or hiding out at 48,000 feet in Airforce 1. Rudy Guliani was on the ground, he was at ground zero. He went there. He didn't just happen to be there.

Now, that being said he made what I thought at the time was one of the dumbest decisions he could have made years earlier when he put the City's OEM in 7 WTC. That decision nearly cost him and others their lives.
And? He was mayor of NYC. Of course he was there. You want to give him a medal for doing his job, for what ANY person holding the title of Mayor of NYC would have done? Seriously? I was there too, covered in dust. I was also there when people were told it was safe to go back to work. (It wasn't.) Don't go there. I am not the one. I'm intimate with 9/11 history.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:32 AM

454 posts, read 763,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
I wish people would remember this story: After the 1993 WTC bombings, the FDNY found that some of their radios would not work inside the towers. For the next 8 years they requested upgraded radio systems so that they could communicate more effectively on the scene of incidents like that, should they ever happen again.
Guliani pushed against these requests, and they were never given better radios.

When the first tower came down, an evacuation of the second tower was called. All FDNY and NYPD personnel were to try and leave the building before it's too late. But, the radios didn't work. Many, many firefighters and police never heard the call, and remained inside attempting to rescue people until the second tower collapsed.

Guliani doomed these brave people to die inside there because he was stingy about helping them get the equipment they needed, and now he parades around as if he's some sort of hero.
I read many books about the towers and what happened that day.

One author said that the communications were updated but they were never synced together - the 2 departments never adapted the technology so that they could interface. It was in "Inside 9-11 - What really happened" by Der Spiegel.

The 2 department s were hostile to one another and just never bothered to sync up their radios. Don't know if this is true, but it is one of the books on 9-11.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:01 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,674,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
This I disagree with you should say that about deBlasio. You probably weren't even in NYC during that time.
Before Giuliani took office, we had another liberal with David Dinkins who was too soft on crime. I am personally not a big fa of Giuliani but he does deserve credit for getting the police force working and the police did stand behind him. Unlike today deBlasio is complete tool and does not have the respect of the NYPD.
Putting 6,000 more cops on the street, leading to a 13% reduction in crime, is "too soft on crime!"

Old 01-26-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
And? He was mayor of NYC. Of course he was there. You want to give him a medal for doing his job, for what ANY person holding the title of Mayor of NYC would have done? Seriously? I was there too, covered in dust. I was also there when people were told it was safe to go back to work. (It wasn't.) Don't go there. I am not the one. I'm intimate with 9/11 history.
Awwww poor you got coated in some dust makes you an expert?BOOOO HOOO Guess what it doesn't. I didn't just walk in off the cotton fields yesterday sweetheart. I lived through 911 too. So don't you go there. Don't blame Rudy for Christine Todd Whitman's lies either. Rudy did his job phenomenally well. If you think de Blasio would be down at ground zero cool, confident and composed the way Guliani was you are sorely mistaken. de Blasio still can't get a classified briefing because he can't obtain the proper security clearances. When he is briefed on something classified it has to be through an intermediary. He would just be in a way and a liability. DB could never pick up a phone during a crisis and call a POTUS as Rudy or Bloomberg could have.n

Old 01-26-2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roskybosky View Post
I read many books about the towers and what happened that day.

One author said that the communications were updated but they were never synced together - the 2 departments never adapted the technology so that they could interface. It was in "Inside 9-11 - What really happened" by Der Spiegel.

The 2 department s were hostile to one another and just never bothered to sync up their radios. Don't know if this is true, but it is one of the books on 9-11.
It's true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City