Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:02 AM

151 posts, read 525,571 times

Advertisements

The other day I read a New York Daily News front page. POLICE RAID... Sneaky Seattle Lures NY's Finest With "Pay and Benefits".

Lolololol... oh nooos! They're stealing our cops with their insidious better pay and benefits! I say let them go... the NYPD should only accept people who care about the mission, not the money. $25,100 a year is totally enough for me to live on in one of the world's most expensive cities. Greedy cops! roflz!!

Why the heck would anyone, ANYONE work for the NYPD and make less than a dishwasher? Such a shame... laugh or you'll cry for our poor cops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 09:11 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,933 times
What you fail to remember is that for many cops in this city the only choices they have are dishwasher or police officer. And before you laugh...you should do your homework and see that cops are the ones laughing, all the way to the bank! That initial salary makes for great news/hype..and the Unions no doubt sucker the simple minded to believe that that salary is in fact representative of cops' salaries...but the reality is far from it. Between their salary, and overtime, after 5 years they are earning about $75,000 PLUS the unbeatable LIFETIME pension AND LIFETIME medical for the entire family.....who is laughing now?

Old 04-08-2008, 11:30 AM

842 posts, read 4,308,313 times
I hope low pay doesn't lead to corruption

Old 04-08-2008, 01:50 PM

471 posts, read 1,475,293 times
.. Rofl. They get so much overtime it's not even funny.

Compare them to a waiter.
They get paid very low, however the tips are the meat of the paycheck.
Police get paid low, and the overtime is the meat.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:40 PM

151 posts, read 525,571 times
Explain to me their OT system. Unless they want to see their wife and kids and even sleep an hour a day, I can't understand how they can make enough OT to balance out the low base pay. So please, enlighten me so I can stop crying.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:45 PM

No matter what we tell you I suspect you won't stop crying. So your reality of the police force keeps getting more sarcastic/baseless: now we must assume all cops are married with kids...and we must also assume they are working so much O/T that they don't see their wife and kids and get 1 hour of sleep a night. You should really do PR for the Union...

How about you put down the Union mailer, and actually research the information yourself. Educate yourself...and stop regurgitating everything you hear from the media.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:46 PM

471 posts, read 1,475,293 times
Or, I can just talk to my uncle's girlfriend's ex husband, who has been a police officer for Manhattan for a good.. 15 years.

Granted, his wife was able to cheat on him numerous times, but. Still. He had two daughters and lived in a nice apartment.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:18 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,403 times
Or you "guys" can can become active with your local police. Maybe some of you will be exposed to some of the better police officers instead of the only cops you may know, dopey old classmates that have an associate degree from CUNY. Join the Precinct Community Council and become a part of the team.... make your neighborhood a safer, better place by working with the police department.

Or better yet, join the Auxilliary Police working side by side with the men & women in blue who are protecting your family and your neighborhood. Then you can tell them that there only other alternative in life was to become a dishwasher. Each continuing post of yours becomes more denegrating to the members of the NYPD. It is actually most insulting to the 659 police officers of the NYPD who made the ultimate sacrifice. Explain that to their families.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:09 AM

3 posts, read 8,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamza View Post
The other day I read a New York Daily News front page. POLICE RAID... Sneaky Seattle Lures NY's Finest With "Pay and Benefits".

Lolololol... oh nooos! They're stealing our cops with their insidious better pay and benefits! I say let them go... the NYPD should only accept people who care about the mission, not the money. $25,100 a year is totally enough for me to live on in one of the world's most expensive cities. Greedy cops! roflz!!

Why the heck would anyone, ANYONE work for the NYPD and make less than a dishwasher? Such a shame... laugh or you'll cry for our poor cops.
You should really do research. Type in "NYPD salary" in Google and this is the first thing that comes up:

Start receiving full pay and benefits from your first day of recruit training ($25,100 per annum). Upon the completion of the Police Academy (six months), your annual salary increases to $32,700. Salaries will continue to increase every year and upon completion of 5½ years of service, base salary will increase to $59,588. In addition to these base salaries, there is overtime earning, holiday pay, night differential and uniform allowance.

When including base salary, average overtime and night shift differential, holiday pay, and uniform allowance, a Police Officer earns over $35,000, on average, in the first year; $45,000, on average, in the second year; $77,000, on average, after 6 years.

Yeah. It's not that bad. Not to mention retirement at 42 if you started at 22, with $72,000 a year until you die, full health benefits and a Annuity Fund and Deferred Compensation Plan, 401K and I.R.A.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:51 AM

Agreed amiable....it aint bad at all..but of course the Unions will have you believe they are living in extreme poverty and working 90 hours O/T...the reality is far different. Educating yourself and not just listening to hype/media will open your eyes to reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City