Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2019, 12:13 PM

7 posts, read 6,798 times

Advertisements

I was traveling out of state and checking in at the hotel I realized I lost my ID. No idea where, when, or how. I immediately filed a lost property report with the local police. A couple of days later the ID was found in my neighborhood's pharmacy and returned to me. Of course am not sure if anyone copied any of my ID information. Is it necessary to call the PD in the city I filed the lost property report and alert them the property was located?

Last edited by Dumbo123; 01-19-2019 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: shortening question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 12:21 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
I would document this incident.
The likelihood that your personal information was compromised is negligible but yet possible.
In the event you find yourself being held accountable you will have the necessary proof.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:58 PM

19,047 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Is this NYC related?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-20-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Is this NYC related?
Well I'm a NYC resident. I never lost my ID before and therefore was not sure what the procedure is vis a vis reporting lost property but finding it later on.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:07 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbo123 View Post
I was traveling out of state and checking in at the hotel I realized I lost my ID. No idea where, when, or how. I immediately filed a lost property report with the local police. A couple of days later the ID was found in my neighborhood's pharmacy and returned to me. Of course am not sure if anyone copied any of my ID information. Is it necessary to call the PD in the city I filed the lost property report and alert them the property was located?

First contact the issuer(s) of various ID to see what they suggest. As stated you don't know if the information was copied or whatever before being returned. A CC company and or NYS Department of MV may suggest (or require) you have new issued just to on the safe side. This and or a notation to be made in account file regarding the matter.

Once that is sorted out *then* contact whoever reported "lost" ID, inform them of your finding and see what they suggest.

It isn't as if they've got tens or scores of LE scouring the streets looking for your ID, especially because you reported it lost and not stolen.

Large part of making a LE report regarding lost (and or stolen ID) involves CYA paperwork. Banks, CC and others want that documentation (and you should have it) to prove any subsequent illegal activity was not done by *you*. In case of illegal bank withdrawals, credit card charges, and other ID theft related activity you'll need that LE report as part of the filing process.

Lost my divers license once. Went to DMV for replacement and during process asked clerk what should I do with the old one if found. She said just "tear it up". My new license arrived with same exact number/information as previous. Asked someone at DMV what was up with that since had reported previous lost/stolen. Reply was a notation simply is made in my file so if LE does pick up someone using the "old" ID they know what to look for or some such.

This is perhaps main reason why you should contact reported LE to say you've "found" your ID. That is if you are ever stopped in future by LE and asked to produce ID, and they run it through the system with that old "lost/stolen" report on file you *may* get some grief asking for further proof you are you.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:10 PM

19,047 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbo123 View Post
Well I'm a NYC resident. I never lost my ID before and therefore was not sure what the procedure is vis a vis reporting lost property but finding it later on.
Did it happen here? Your original post makes it sound like this loss did not occur in NYC which obviously would change how one would answer your question.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-21-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Did it happen here? Your original post makes it sound like this loss did not occur in NYC which obviously would change how one would answer your question.
I did not know where I lost it originally: if in NYC, in transit to my destination or at my destination. Having arrived at my destination ( DC ) I spent some hours around the city, used the Metro and when I arrived at the hotel I was asked for my license and that's when I realized I lost it. I panic and worry fast. I've never lost an ID before. I called home, asked my wife to look for it everywhere (in the process she also managed to forget the interior car lights on and killed the battery - a different story). Having not found it, I went ahead with asking for a replacement license online and as an extra precaution filed a Lost property report with the DC police since it was in DC I realized I lost it.
Just days later the license was located in a pharmacy in NYC. I have a Lost property case number with the DC police and was wondering if it is necessary to let them know the ID was found and ask for a copy of the report. I feel pretty stupid about the whole thing even though I tried to do everything by the book (or what by Google says) so to speak.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
I understand your point now. I did not find a legal thematic forum (other than legal immigration). Is it possible to move thread to General Forums: Other topics? Thanks and Happy New Year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City