Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 08:02 PM

1,486 posts, read 978,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
^ cable will check the modem and router, I hope.

the boys in the office all say fios is better for internet, and my next door neighbor has it as well.

i remember when she got it nextdoor, the tech came in and said it would go thru the hallway wall and connect to the coaxil that is here already...

all my cable wires are buried under the molding and floors from 25 years ago, so other than the hall closet none of it is really exposed. Id hate for fios to come in and have to tack wires all over the place, i guess everything will depend on when cable come.
also i have 2 TV boxes, phone and internet and pay 195, of course thats a crime, and I have basic nothing.

****sigh****
When I switched from Cable to FIOS the downside was the coax cabling. With Cable you can split the line multiple times to go to each box. But with FIOS you cannot split the line to feed multiple boxes

So the PITA was I had one line going from where it enters the apartment to one room, then I split it from that room to go to another room so that 1 line fed 2 boxes. When FIOS came, they ran 1 coax cable to each room and brought them all back to one main point next to the router.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 09:02 AM

25,365 posts, read 36,918,559 times
and pay 195, of course thats a crime, and I have basic nothing.

You speak truth Keemosaabi.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:35 PM

18,386 posts, read 31,503,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
and pay 195, of course thats a crime, and I have basic nothing.

You speak truth Keemosaabi.

lol, wait, and over the years i have cut this out and that out to getthe bill down to the lowest possible. and then it always seems like within a week or two something goes back up.
its terrible.

ok, regarding the other poster saying about different line to different boxes, that kinda scaresme, cause i have the wires all concealed right now and am not thrilled about wires tacked anywhere areound doorsand wondows and making it look messy.

so after cable comes in, i willtake it from there. maybe it is something simple...but last night the website curbed took way to long to load up.
ther was a new winre ut in the winter before last because of the other problem.

now if i deceide to go with fios, i want someone to come to the apartment and explain to me and show me step by step where they are going to drill and just exactly what the wires will look like and where they will go.

the one man from nextdoor said once it comes into the apt, it gets connected to the coaxil that is there from cabalvision, but then how would that be considered fiber optic, if it is from coaxil.

all this seriously gives me anxiety, and i will have my xanax ready.
anything else im good but the wires, throw daddy for a loop

Old 01-25-2019, 01:58 PM

5,480 posts, read 7,062,188 times
Another thing you will also like about FIOS is their additional boxes are smaller then the DVR set top box. I tuck it behind the wall mounted TV and the remote bounces off the ceiling. All the wires are behind the walls so it's a very neat and tidy set up.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:28 PM

15,928 posts, read 6,715,941 times
Just keep note:
Cable and Fiber Optic act as highways for (cars) information to flow.
It depends on the (bridge- eZpass or cash ) router/modem and the (type of car Volkswagen bug or Ferrari )
computer and (whats under the hood ) software.

I have been a Linux fan for years and my computer is tiny ( the size of a pack of cigarettes).
My ( Computer /Software ) setup runs on Spectrum Cable ( 2 lane highway not 6 ) and is
likened to a 4 cylinder 2017 Ford Mustang Ecoboost.

Now if I upped to Fios Fiber optic and a Corsair Vengeance 5180 gaming pc running Ubuntu
it would be compared to an 8 cylinder Dodge Challenger SRT Demon but that my friends would cost extra
bucks............

Old 01-26-2019, 07:19 AM

25,365 posts, read 36,918,559 times
Nightcrawler,

FIOS cable is somewhat thinner than co-ax so less noticeable. Also, most City apartments are painted Navajo White (a cream color the same as the wire.) It it typically tacked at the juncture between the top of the baseboard and the wall.

Decide ahead of time exactly where you want the wire to go and hover over the installers like a hawk. I made them drill into the bottom of the convector box and go THROUGH it rather than tacking around it.

Make sure you get the small tabletop ONT I-211M-K (Optical Network Terminal) instead of the old fashioned pile of junk that fills half a small closet.

Make sure to get a DVR, life is too short for commercials.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:00 PM

^, see, thats what I was thinking, the wire would be thinner, Im OK with it on the moldings, as some of the kitchen I have the wire mold anyway, painted the same color as the wall, the problem is the doorways, my apartment has been renovated way back when, and there is no moldings around the doors that go from room to room (kitchen to foyer, foyer to living room hall to bedroom. the other doors have moldings.)

For laziness purposes, I hope the cable man can just do maginc to make it wor faster and save me a day off (id rather go to work) to be home while the man fios-sizes the apartment.

Im not that avid a TV watcher so that doesnt concern me, but im more internet demon, and I need speed speed speed, daddy has no time to wait for things to "load".................

now, in the meantime I had a HD box sent to my job that I will switch with the bedroom TV, as it is still the older box, where as my kitchen has the HD box, unfortunetely both my televisions are not HD, (ugh), can it get worse.....wait, we have 2 TV's (the same) , 15 inch screens, and they are not HD either, so the screen doesnt even cover the whole TV.

if all goes well with the cable, I will get two new HD TV, the 15" works for the kitchen, but I will get a bigger one for the bedrrom.

we do not have a TV in the living room.

what ever happend to the glorious days of free TV when it always worked??????
had less channels, yet always something to watch.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:31 PM

1,486 posts, read 978,399 times
@ nightcrawler.

To echo what Kefir King said there is more to the install. The thin cable that FIOS brings into your home goes to a location of your choice then terminates into a ONT media convertor. that convertor changes the signal from optical (thin cable) to the fat coax cable that you are used to. The main problem you will have is that each TV will require a dedicated Coax line back to a central coax splitter.

In my install they placed a 4 way splitter, 1 line went to their POS router which they charge a monthly fee for. and yes that does mean piece of sh1t. your TV service wont fully work without it (no on screen menus, etc). 1 line went to the big cable box (this is the main box), you will want it in the living room. If this box goes down the smaller tiny boxes will go down as well so place it in an area easily assessable. It also puts out a lot of heat. The other 2 lines went to bedrooms to feed the smaller boxes you can tuck anywhere.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
@ nightcrawler.

To echo what Kefir King said there is more to the install. The thin cable that FIOS brings into your home goes to a location of your choice then terminates into a ONT media convertor. that convertor changes the signal from optical (thin cable) to the fat coax cable that you are used to. The main problem you will have is that each TV will require a dedicated Coax line back to a central coax splitter.

In my install they placed a 4 way splitter, 1 line went to their POS router which they charge a monthly fee for. and yes that does mean piece of sh1t. your TV service wont fully work without it (no on screen menus, etc). 1 line went to the big cable box (this is the main box), you will want it in the living room. If this box goes down the smaller tiny boxes will go down as well so place it in an area easily assessable. It also puts out a lot of heat. The other 2 lines went to bedrooms to feed the smaller boxes you can tuck anywhere.

ok, so thats what the fios man had said when my neighbor had it isntalled, the wire came in to the apt then to the hall closet where the ocaxil crap is, it splits there and one goe to kitchen then to bedroom. ok so that i egt thing from outsioded connest to coax and its the same so thats whay the man said the used the same coax.

i have a headache already.

lat night ook the cake the net kept going out but tv and phone was fine then it had no connections at all, had to shut down and rre start then was so .
i finallt had to pop a xanax and go to sleep and call it a night it was too much.

im hoping when they come wedneesady i will tell him all thei. something cant be right if the tv a dn hione work just the net is too slow on the cell, ipad and compuetre.

i will tell him i want lightingin spped or im switcheing to fios.

do you know i have anxiety over this right now, because anything with elec and wiring in my apoartment is always nothing short of a natural disaster.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:52 PM

128 posts, read 113,952 times
Just get whatever is cheaper or available Fios, spectrum ,optimum order 100mb internet and then just get IPTV in the meantime for cable I pay $42 for Fios internet 100/100 and $10 a month for all the cable channels 5 devices at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City