Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2019, 02:14 PM

533 posts, read 482,211 times

Advertisements

I have been researching how to order free credit report.

Many people stagger the ordering to every 4 months (for each of three credit reporting agencies) - from Co-worker

One married lady staggered to ever 2 months, for both her and her husband (total of 6 credit reports in a year) - from City-Data forums

And I heard it is best to get into habit of ordering credit report. That way, if you are ready to buy a home, "zombie" or "fake" debts don't appear, else you have upper hand to defend yourself and say "why these debts suddenly appear" - from City-Data forums

However I would like to know safest way to order

1. One can put things in writing and send via snail mail. However this involves a human being who can memorize your name, dob, ss# - from Co-Worker

2. You can also order online. However one person on City-Data forums said they answered a personal question incorrectly and were blocked. A co-worker says ordering online is best because you have record of the SSN and other info you entered. Plus there is no human contact.

3. Person can dial automated number to order Credit Report. But according to a Co-worker, you don't have record of things you punched in the phone, plus a human being might be at other end to glean your data.

My plan is to dial the automated number and order from Transunion. In 4 months time will order from Experian. And finally in 4 months, order form Equifax.

Is my approach correct? Will ordering Credit Report have disadvantages? Please tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 02:41 PM

1,486 posts, read 989,683 times
https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action

Old 02-01-2019, 06:07 AM

3,735 posts, read 3,471,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
This
Only legal free credit report every year. No cc needed.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:54 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Why bother with the credit report? Most credit cards offer a free monthly fico score update by clicking a button. If you check your fico score regularly and it doesn’t go down your credit is fine. Fico score is what creditors look at anyway.
Don’t bother with a credit report unless a change in your fico score indicates a problem.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Why bother with the credit report? Most credit cards offer a free monthly fico score update by clicking a button. If you check your fico score regularly and it doesn’t go down your credit is fine. Fico score is what creditors look at anyway.
Don’t bother with a credit report unless a change in your fico score indicates a problem.
By law everyone is entitled to one free report a year from each credit reporting agent. All 3.

It's not a hassle as it costs nothing and is just a couple of clicks on the site posted above.

Your score doesn't reflect bad information on your report such as employment changes, addresses, and other info that may have mistakenly been placed on your report.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
By law everyone is entitled to one free report a year from each credit reporting agent. All 3.

It's not a hassle as it costs nothing and is just a couple of clicks on the site posted above.

Your score doesn't reflect bad information on your report such as employment changes, addresses, and other info that may have mistakenly been placed on your report.
i used to use the free credit report sites and found the process annoying.
I dont care what other info is on my credit file as long as my score doesn’t dip below 830. If it did, then I’d look to see why.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
i used to use the free credit report sites and found the process annoying.
I dont care what other info is on my credit file as long as my score doesn’t dip below 830. If it did, then I’d look to see why.
You don't care if someone has stolen your identity?

If a new unknown address shows up on your report, it's a good indicator that someone is using your identity. Wouldn't change the score unless they opened an account in your name and it was delinquent.

To each his own I guess.

Old 02-01-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
You don't care if someone has stolen your identity?

If a new unknown address shows up on your report, it's a good indicator that someone is using your identity. Wouldn't change the score unless they opened an account in your name and it was delinquent.

To each his own I guess.
No, not going to worry about it unless my credit score changes. I have 3 credit cards and each one updates my fico score every month so I check my fico score 3 differentnt times a month . If someone steals my identity I’ll find out about much quicker than going onto free credit report.com. My credit score hasnt fluctuated by more than 4 points in decades... even a 10 point change that could come from a single credit inquiry and I’d be on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City