Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 07:04 AM

1,183 posts, read 707,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Why is it a bad idea? Can you elaborate? I know people have dry aged in their own frig before. I dont see what the problem is.
On account of meat with white or green fungus on it not being very appetizing.

While absolutely nothing can touch a properly dry-aged steak for flavor and tenderness especially, before trimming its a sight to behold. Though that does vary on the aging environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 04:57 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
you can't age in a refrigerator ..aging requires very precise humidity and temperature ..they think they are aging , but it is not being done right
Well apparently it does something to it. I have tasted people's home dry aged steaks, and they are better than just straight out of supermarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
On account of meat with white or green fungus on it not being very appetizing.

While absolutely nothing can touch a properly dry-aged steak for flavor and tenderness especially, before trimming its a sight to behold. Though that does vary on the aging environment.
I have seen some vids of steakhouses, and they say the mold and fungus is a good thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUpdet6tnmg

Old 02-22-2019, 05:11 PM

106,576 posts, read 108,713,667 times
It does something to it as you said , but compared to a proper aged steak it is likely not even close

Old 02-23-2019, 12:45 AM

17,671 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Well apparently it does something to it. I have tasted people's home dry aged steaks, and they are better than just straight out of supermarket
You said you were looking for good steakhouse quality, not "better than just straight out of supermarket".

Again, if you want the high quality stuff, you have to go to a good butcher and pay up for Prime. You can even get it already dry aged.

But if you are ok with "better than just straight out of supermarket" then I'd say just use a decent marinade. You are not going to get good results attempting to dry age in your refrigerator...and there's a good chance you'll get sick.

As already mentioned, you need to know what you're doing and have the perfect environment to dry age correctly. And even if you did know what you're doing (you don't), and you had the perfect environment (you don't), the end result still wouldn't be good steakhouse quality when using Choice from the supermarket.

And another thing - I don't think proper dry aging is done with individual steaks. I believe it's done with a huge chunk...and the mold is cut off the huge chunk, and then the huge chunk is cut down into individual steaks.

Why are you reluctant to go to a good butcher? The cost?

Old 02-23-2019, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
You said you were looking for good steakhouse quality, not "better than just straight out of supermarket".

Again, if you want the high quality stuff, you have to go to a good butcher and pay up for Prime. You can even get it already dry aged.

But if you are ok with "better than just straight out of supermarket" then I'd say just use a decent marinade. You are not going to get good results attempting to dry age in your refrigerator...and there's a good chance you'll get sick.

As already mentioned, you need to know what you're doing and have the perfect environment to dry age correctly. And even if you did know what you're doing (you don't), and you had the perfect environment (you don't), the end result still wouldn't be good steakhouse quality when using Choice from the supermarket.

And another thing - I don't think proper dry aging is done with individual steaks. I believe it's done with a huge chunk...and the mold is cut off the huge chunk, and then the huge chunk is cut down into individual steaks.

yes , aging is never done with individual steaks when done right ...they are big chunks of meat with just the right fat coating

Old 02-23-2019, 07:46 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I remember reading that another reason that home cooks don't get that restaurant steak taste is that most of us don't have ovens/broilers that go up to the high temperatures that a steakhouse oven does.

Old 02-23-2019, 08:41 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
This thread made me hungry lol!

The only game meat restaurant I’ve been to in nyc is Henry’s End. https://henrysend.com/Pages/menu_henrysend?id=1
It was ok but not great.

I was in Swedish Lapland last summer and had bear meat for the first time. It was delicious. I was staying in this small town (equivalent to what we’d consider the rural south or rural Midwest ) where most of the men and even many women walked around wearing hunting gear. The local butcher shop had the most delicious array of meat including bear, moose, and reindeer.

Old 02-23-2019, 08:14 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post

Living in Queens, I dont think there are any classic American butchers that dry age left here anymore. Do you know any? I can go as far as West Point if need be.

Old 02-24-2019, 01:38 AM

there are not many because to cook them properly takes temperatures between 800 to 1000 degrees ..

most people are not going to spend that amount of money and not be able to sear them properly .

fairway in douglaston and ottomanelli carry them

S Ottomanelli & Sons Prime Meats - Butcher Shop, Prime Meats | Woodside, NY

http://www.grubstreet.com/2013/06/ne...aged-beef.html

Old 02-24-2019, 04:56 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
I believe there is still an Ottomanelli on Bleeker Street, just East of Seventh Ave,. They closed the one on 93rd and Lex before I had a chance to try them, dammit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City