Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 11:51 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetnights View Post
You're nuts. I would kill to live there. Amazing transit options if you want a short trip to the trendy hot spots.
I know. But this is the new generation, poor me, nothing is ever good enough, I deserve it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 07:30 PM

91 posts, read 119,791 times
Luau Living on the Upper West Side of New York is not far from the lower east side or Hell’s Kitchen. The buses & subways are close by. I am 68 years old & I have walked across Manhattan during my annual visits for 12 years. I plan to do the same this June. If you are capable of & enjoy walking it may become your preferred mode of transportation. I understand how sad it was when you lived in the SF suburb. After graduating from the U of M law school in Ann Arbor, my daughter allowed her close friend from school to convince her to move to Troy, MI close to her. She experienced a year feeling alone. She soon realized that it was as if she moved to a town where she away from anyone that she knew. She moved back home to Chicago after missing her family & Church. I’m convinced that you would not feel any comparison to the suburb while living on the Upper West Side. During my vacations in New York I stayed at the Beacon hotel on the Upper West Side in 2009. The atmosphere appears to be more upscale & quieter than Midtown Manhattan where my favorite Hilton G. Inn is located on 8th Avenue. I enjoy walking, some people watching & experiencing all that is within walking distance. Good luck.

Last edited by pajones3; 02-20-2019 at 08:20 PM..

Old 02-22-2019, 01:29 PM

1,121 posts, read 591,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I mentioned how noisy the clubs are to back up what Livingsingle said about them. I wasn't talking about noise in general.
My post was a direct response to what Livingsingle said. And my point wasn't about how quiet or noisy Tribeca is. My point is that clubs are noisy places.
I have not lived on the UWS yet but I have rented rooms at Uptown locations all along Broadway and it is seriously noisy even if you are living up 6 stories. If you have a window facing Broadway forget it. Dump trucks come every morning. The trade off is fast access to subways and buses from Broadway.

I don't know about UWS but if you live along Broadway except more noise than usual.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
I have not lived on the UWS yet but I have rented rooms at Uptown locations all along Broadway and it is seriously noisy even if you are living up 6 stories. If you have a window facing Broadway forget it. Dump trucks come every morning. The trade off is fast access to subways and buses from Broadway.

I don't know about UWS but if you live along Broadway except more noise than usual.
I lived on Broadway and 70's. It's a major street, with businesses. Of course you will hear some noise but its not the same as club noise. When you have clubs in the area you have people waiting outside in lines all night, screaming chicks, yelling dudes, and a bunch of drunk noise. Go to meat packing one weekend night hang out on the street from about 11pm to 4am and you will then get it. I was one of those people going to clubs for years, we are obnoxious.

Old 02-22-2019, 02:11 PM

1,121 posts, read 591,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I lived on Broadway and 70's. It's a major street, with businesses. Of course you will hear some noise but its not the same as club noise. When you have clubs in the area you have people waiting outside in lines all night, screaming chicks, yelling dudes, and a bunch of drunk noise. Go to meat packing one weekend night hang out on the street from about 11pm to 4am and you will then get it. I was one of those people going to clubs for years, we are obnoxious.
Well it sounds like just the party the OP is searching for.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
Well it sounds like just the party the OP is searching for.
Yah until he realizes people party 7 days a week and they can't get sleep for work when they need it. Become sleep deprived, cranky and hating life
Then they will be starting a noise thread

Old 02-22-2019, 10:44 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Yes. It's a different kind of noise. I live in the 50's & a block or two east of B'way and it's noisy but nothing like "club noise". You can't easily drown it out like you do other random, street noises. It's hard to describe but "club noise" is annoying as all hell & continuous. It's worse than ambulance sirens, garbage trucks, construction and tourist noise. YMMV but I find "bar noise" bad and "club noise" is 10 times worse than that.

Last edited by Aeran; 02-22-2019 at 10:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City