Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 893 times

Advertisements

Hi!

We are currently living in Canada but we are planning to move soon to NYC (for 2 ou 3 years). I am very excited about moving to NYC but I am a little anxious about completely changing the environment of my daughter.

In Canada we have a big house and a big yard where she can play every day. In the summer, we can walk to the city playground, go in the woods, walk by the river, etc. In the winter we skate, play hockey, play in the snow, etc. We don't lock our home doors. People are friendly and it's all very safe.

I have been to New York a few times and I loved the people and the city.

But how is life for kids living in Manhattan? What do you usually do on week nights and weekends? Can anyone share his experience with moving to NYC with kids?

Thank you so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 02:52 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,565,363 times
She's only 4 so she's probably adapt pretty easy. There's parks and playgrounds all over the city with the museums, libraries, and the zoo. In the winter you can go to the skating rink at Rockefeller center and in the summer you the beaches, Coney Island is the best for kids. Nights and weekends I think Times Square is a good option because of the Broadway shows, plays, and the movie theaters.

Welcome to NYC.

Oh yea almost forgot to mention it, the Aquarium in Coney Island is worth a visit too. If you let kid likes boats I recommend taking advantage of the city's ferry system, it's pretty extensive and very cheap, only $2.75 a ride and the Staten Island ferry is free.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:07 PM

16,088 posts, read 6,860,239 times
Welcome to NYC
There are many wonderful places in all 5 boros.
You can get an idea on where to roost by checking a few important websites
such as Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site and www.spotcrime.com for more information.
Just type the name of the neighborhood or zipcode and much information
will be at hand for you to decide.
Best wishes.

Last edited by Yac; 02-21-2019 at 01:28 AM..

Old 02-16-2019, 03:42 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,283,541 times
Dude, the Aquarium is wack. I went for free and it was still a waste of money.

Do I have a better idea? Yes.

Liberty Science Center, not far past Holland Tunnel, Jersey City. ~$30 per person
New York Hall of Science, 111th St, Queens. Free regular Sunday mornings 10am-11am
Math Museum, 25th St @ 5th Av, Manhattan. ~$25 per person
Bronx Zoo, E180th St @ Southern Blvd, Bronx. Free Wednesdays.
Central Park Zoo, 62nd St @ 5 Av, Manhattan. ~$30 per person

Just Central Park in general with playgrounds on 5th Av @ 63rd, 84th, 96th and 108th Sts. and on the other side on Central Park West @ 81st, 91st, 101st ...and I know I missed a few.

If you tryin' to just move into Manhattan, it will take a lot of money and, the apartment application process is brutal.

Know 3 things:

I have, at previous points in my life, been authoruzed to receive and distribute fully automatic crew-served weaponry with far less scrutiny than the typical rental agency process.

This is the only city I have ever encountered where it's possible to be homeless even when you have the ability to pay.

New York City may be in America and, use dollars but, effectively NYC and the rest of the USA are run almkst like separat countries.

Old 02-16-2019, 07:41 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,441,390 times
OP, there's plenty for kids to do and it really depends on your preferences and your budget. If you don't have much of a budget, there are a lot of free events and activities.

Also, Metro-North and LIRR which goes upstate to quaint towns, hiking trails, New England cities, Long Island beaches, etc. allows kids under 5 ride for free with an accompany adult, $1 during off-peak hours and half-price during peak hours when from the ages of 5 to 11. These can be pretty fun trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
Dude, the Aquarium is wack. I went for free and it was still a waste of money.

Do I have a better idea? Yes.

Liberty Science Center, not far past Holland Tunnel, Jersey City. ~$30 per person
New York Hall of Science, 111th St, Queens. Free regular Sunday mornings 10am-11am
Math Museum, 25th St @ 5th Av, Manhattan. ~$25 per person
Bronx Zoo, E180th St @ Southern Blvd, Bronx. Free Wednesdays.
Central Park Zoo, 62nd St @ 5 Av, Manhattan. ~$30 per person

Just Central Park in general with playgrounds on 5th Av @ 63rd, 84th, 96th and 108th Sts. and on the other side on Central Park West @ 81st, 91st, 101st ...and I know I missed a few.

If you tryin' to just move into Manhattan, it will take a lot of money and, the apartment application process is brutal.

Know 3 things:

I have, at previous points in my life, been authoruzed to receive and distribute fully automatic crew-served weaponry with far less scrutiny than the typical rental agency process.

This is the only city I have ever encountered where it's possible to be homeless even when you have the ability to pay.

New York City may be in America and, use dollars but, effectively NYC and the rest of the USA are run almkst like separat countries.
The aquarium's been undergoing renovation / Sandy recovery, so how much aquarium you get to see is based on how recently you've visited. Right now, it's still pretty small but combined with the beach, Coney Island and maybe some Brighton Beach exploration, it's a pretty good trip.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:31 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,283,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
OP, there's plenty for kids to do and it really depends on your preferences and your budget. If you don't have much of a budget, there are a lot of free events and activities.

Also, Metro-North and LIRR which goes upstate to quaint towns, hiking trails, New England cities, Long Island beaches, etc. allows kids under 5 ride for free with an accompany adult, $1 during off-peak hours and half-price during peak hours when from the ages of 5 to 11. These can be pretty fun trips.

The aquarium's been undergoing renovation / Sandy recovery, so how much aquarium you get to see is based on how recently you've visited. Right now, it's still pretty small but combined with the beach, Coney Island and maybe some Brighton Beach exploration, it's a pretty good trip.
The area is cool, absolutely. I was being unduly harsh on the aquarium. Otters, walruses and, seals are almost always awesome.

Old 02-16-2019, 02:54 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,091,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxMaxMax View Post
Hi!

We are currently living in Canada but we are planning to move soon to NYC (for 2 ou 3 years). I am very excited about moving to NYC but I am a little anxious about completely changing the environment of my daughter.

In Canada we have a big house and a big yard where she can play every day. In the summer, we can walk to the city playground, go in the woods, walk by the river, etc. In the winter we skate, play hockey, play in the snow, etc. We don't lock our home doors. People are friendly and it's all very safe.

I have been to New York a few times and I loved the people and the city.

But how is life for kids living in Manhattan? What do you usually do on week nights and weekends? Can anyone share his experience with moving to NYC with kids?

Thank you so much in advance!
Why would you trade the below for NYC? You said you been here a couple of times. Living here is another story.

"In Canada we have a big house and a big yard where she can play every day. In the summer, we can walk to the city playground, go in the woods, walk by the river, etc. In the winter we skate, play hockey, play in the snow, etc. We don't lock our home doors. People are friendly and it's all very safe."

Old 02-16-2019, 07:03 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,241,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Why would you trade the below for NYC? You said you been here a couple of times. Living here is another story.

"In Canada we have a big house and a big yard where she can play every day. In the summer, we can walk to the city playground, go in the woods, walk by the river, etc. In the winter we skate, play hockey, play in the snow, etc. We don't lock our home doors. People are friendly and it's all very safe."
You can have most of the above in the city, except big house/yard and locking doors.
If you live near central park you can play at the playground, go into the woods (especially northern park of the park), walk by the pond, ice skate, play hockey, in the snow (if we get any)....All those things are found in central park.
NYC a great city OP, welcome and enjoy all it has to offer.

Old 02-16-2019, 07:04 PM

84 posts, read 62,158 times
Considering my handle, I consider myself half Canadian. J/k. But I've spent quite a bit of time over the years in great white North - beautiful country, people.

Which is why I beg you to NOT come to this cesspool. You will regret it, especially having young kids. If you really, really need to be in the "city," think about the Long Island or CT/Westchester suburbs. It's close enough, will remind you of home and all within an hour commute. I love hockey, play it all the time and frozen ponds in outer Queens/Long Island. I would never raise a kid in Manhattan. Even growing up in Queens, which is NYC, we still were happy as kids knowing we weren't in chitty Manhattan. It's only somewhere to be if you're single/married w/no kids and make good money and want to galavant around town, mostly if you're in your 20s or 30s. After that, the story gets old - and quick.

Old 02-16-2019, 07:33 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,091,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
You can have most of the above in the city, except big house/yard and locking doors.
If you live near central park you can play at the playground, go into the woods (especially northern park of the park), walk by the pond, ice skate, play hockey, in the snow (if we get any)....All those things are found in central park.
NYC a great city OP, welcome and enjoy all it has to offer.
So you want OP to live near Central Park??

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City