Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 12:08 PM

461 posts, read 554,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Totally irrelevant. They'll move here, they'll spend money, they'll improve the economy. If someone from Queens wants to work for them, they can. But they need to get off their a$$ and develop the skills and get the credentials necessary. If they can't compete, the SHOULD get squeezed out.
Right, all working class people are working class purely because they don’t work hard. Great logic. Whereas all these transplants have excellent work ethic, no help from mommy and daddy to have made it this far. No favoritism from corporate America. None of that.

A student who goes to CUNY and gets a degree within their means is probably qualified, just not desired. All sort of racial and classist connotations to that.

You can have that attitude. People will continue to fight Amazon because of it.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:26 PM

15,788 posts, read 14,385,375 times
I'd bet they'd hire a CUNY graduate (with the right degree) on sight. There's not an overabundance of the people with the skills they need. That's why they're coming here.

How many of the idiots beetching about Amazon have bothered to develop marketable skills? I bet not too many. It might endanger their public assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post
Right, all working class people are working class purely because they don’t work hard. Great logic. Whereas all these transplants have excellent work ethic, no help from mommy and daddy to have made it this far. No favoritism from corporate America. None of that.

A student who goes to CUNY and gets a degree within their means is probably qualified, just not desired. All sort of racial and classist connotations to that.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:29 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,316,152 times
Quote:
Again, 25k jobs for who? Everyone deploying that number to defend Amazon coming here is doing so in bad faith - they know WHO will be getting those jobs and it’s not the regular Queens resident. It’ll be Becky from UMichigan who wants to “do the NY thing for a few years,” that’s not a win for NY. And all the businesses that open up in LIC BECAUSE of Amazon will be appealing to Becky, not to Queens residents, with Becky prices. Just admit you want the working class out of NYC.

The people positively affected by this will be 1) those who don’t even live here yet and 2) those who didn’t live here five years ago. That’s not good for NY.
If the regular Queens resident has the necessary educational background and skills, he or she will get the job. I’m tired of this false belief that “Native NYers” don’t get these jobs. High paying jobs are filled by people who have the skills needed to preform those jobs. ALL of my coworkers make over $100K and ALL of my coworkers in our NY office are native to the tri-state area. Yes that includes Long Island, Westchester but also BK, Queens, SI. This includes my very senior client contacts (VPs, EVPs) who also hail from the NY area. The thing that QUALIFIES us for these higher paying jobs is our education and skill set. Don’t give me this BS that someone from Queens or whatever won’t get these jobs. They will IF they work to get the education and skills to land these types of jobs. Also I should add that I am the ONLY one on my team that went to a prestigious university. The vast majority went to SUNYs (and I think 2 to CUNY).

Also consider that it will take years to fill these 25K jobs, if someone wants to position themselves so they can be a contender, they can. Also consider the potential opportunity for the younger generation. If people paid attention to the RFP response that NYC provided, it gave detailed information about its educational efforts and ability to supply a LOCAL pipeline of applicants for future roles.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:

No. Just stop spewing these false beliefs. I’m a hiring manager that oversees junior roles. The salary for my inexperienced (2-3 years of experience) roles pay $120K and what I care about in terms of WHO to hire are people that fit an experience and educational background. I don’t care where you come from and even what school you went to as long as you have a minimum of a 4 year college degree and relevant experience. That is NOT a high bar for an applicant.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I'd bet they'd hire a CUNY graduate (with the right degree) on sight. There's not an overabundance of the people with the skills they need. That's why they're coming here.

How many of the idiots beetching about Amazon have bothered to develop marketable skills? I bet not too many. It might endanger their public assistance.
Exactly. And this is exactly why I’m trying to encourage my teenage nephew to get a degree in something that will allow him to land one of these higher paying jobs. He’s a few years away from graduating high school but I’m trying to groom him for the industry I’m in since I KNOW that it will pay well and set him on a path for a decent living.

To add the straight out of college position that my colleague is hiring for on her team pays $80K. Just let that sink in...and we’re not even one of the big or major tech players.

Last edited by jad2k; 02-13-2019 at 12:59 PM..

Old 02-13-2019, 01:15 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,959,806 times
Quote:

I agree with you on this. I wont say natives or locals will get Amazon jobs. Bust most will probably go to talented transplants. If a local or native is talented and he or she has the right skill sets or connections. No doubt they will get hired by amazon too. Also note that a good number of these jobs are not technical either. Some positions might be front end or back end office, custodial and operations which do not require a masters degree, or a degree from 50 top universities such as Georgetown, Yale, or John Hopkins. I can gurantee amazon would hire a sales and marketing professional with a 2 year degree from hostos community college. The big problem with NYC is that NYC does not create talent like it used to back in the 60s, 80s, and half of the 90s. What is great about NYC is that NYC pulls a lot talent. NYC pulls more talent than what it creates.

Quote:

Amazon came to places like NYC and DC due to high abundance of 4 year degree holders. People forget that NYC and DC are elite cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
If the regular Queens resident has the necessary educational background and skills, he or she will get the job. I’m tired of this false belief that “Native NYers” don’t get these jobs. High paying jobs are filled by people who have the skills needed to preform those jobs. ALL of my coworkers make over $100K and ALL of my coworkers in our NY office are native to the tri-state area. Yes that includes Long Island, Westchester but also BK, Queens, SI. This includes my very senior client contacts (VPs, EVPs) who also hail from the NY area. The thing that QUALIFIES us for these higher paying jobs is our education and skill set. Don’t give me this BS that someone from Queens or whatever won’t get these jobs. They will IF they work to get the education and skills to land these types of jobs. Also I should add that I am the ONLY one on my team that went to a prestigious university. The vast majority went to SUNYs (and I think 2 to CUNY).

Also consider that it will take years to fill these 25K jobs, if someone wants to position themselves so they can be a contender, they can. Also consider the potential opportunity for the younger generation. If people paid attention to the RFP response that NYC provided, it gave detailed information about its educational efforts and ability to supply a LOCAL pipeline of applicants for future roles.
I know the narrative gets boring, and I agree with you on that. Of course a local can get hired, but a local must have the right skill sets, the right degrees, and the right connections, or a some sort of combination. Sadly NYC does not do a great job in creating a local talent pool, however NYC does a great job attracting talent. A CUNY grad would be better outside NYC than from within, why a CUNY grad is a dime a dozen in NYC. Also note that all of the amazon jobs that will be created are not only for those who gradated from top college or have advanced degrees. Some jobs might involve custodial, or facilities management, operations, sales and marketing, engineering, and cafeteria, medical which do not require a degree from Harvard, or Wharton, or Stanford, or UVA, or a Emory. Probably a CUNY but a minimum a 2 year degree.

I don't think Amazon will be able to fill 25k jobs in Long Island city. Why? Amazon can easily omit jobs via automation, and automation to NYC office space is coming sooner than you think. Tyron from Harlem who works Custodial can keep his job at Amazon. Megan who is a transplant from Indiana who graduated from a decent college and who works at Amazon as an Insurance agent Examiner can have her job replaced easily by automation. While Shamika who hails from an housing project in Brooklyn who has a masters degree and 90k in debt who works in Amazon HR department can easily have her job be erased via automation. While Puerto Rican Tony who works in engineering can easily keep his job at amazon because someone has the unclog poop from Bezos toilet that over looks the LIC skyline.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Exactly. And this is exactly why I’m trying to encourage my teenage nephew to get a degree in something that will allow him to land one of these higher paying jobs. He’s a few years away from graduating high school but I’m trying to groom him for the industry I’m in since I KNOW that it will pay well and set him on a path for a decent living.

To add the straight out of college position that my colleague is hiring for on her team pays $80K. Just let that sink in...and we’re not even one of the big or major tech players.
Stem is the way to go. The system wont let me rep you.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 02-13-2019 at 01:33 PM..

Old 02-13-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Stem is the way to go.
I’m not even referring to STEM roles. The aforementioned positions that my company pays $80K+ are client service and account management, and sales roles. Zero hard “tech” skills required. However clear aptitude for understanding data and analytics is necessary. Also soft skills that accompany client facing positions like communication etc are needed.

Finally and most importantly, we STRUGGLE to fill these roles. This is in a major city with a huge talent pool. We try to poach from competitive companies but it’s really hard to get someone who is happy in a good paying job to leave.

It feels as though all of those who are against Amazon coming here are “cutting off their nose to spite their face”. I’m not super thrilled that Amazon was given massive incentives, they were really not necessary. However there is a longer term positive impact for having such a high paying major employer, in an industry other than finance in nyc. Also consider the halo effect from supporting companies and industries as well as tec competitors this will build in the long run.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:38 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,601,916 times
Quote:
Who are the existing residents in other NY-based companies tho? They seem to be primarily from one sector - well-off transplants. When those transplants leave their NY-based companies to take Amazon positions, who is replacing them at their old jobs? More transplants. That is the dilemma here. Bring Amazon to NYC, but require Amazon to hire local talent - set a quota of at least 50% NYC-born employees, 25% CUNY-graduates, SOMETHING that isn’t more of the same of the last 20 years. People would not be so hostile to Amazon if they weren’t going down this very predictable path. And if a few companies opt not to come here because they don’t want to hire real New Yorkers, then good, gtfo. These companies are all hiring the same people, why do you think your average Joe cares if they come or don’t come? Most of that money they make for the city will benefit the people in the income brackets of Amazon. I don’t care if Amazon helps property values in LIC - LIC is already for wealthier transplants, no tears if their condos go up only $300,000 in value as opposed to $1m. But lots of tears for the hundreds of thousands of people in Astoria, Corona, Jackson Heights, Elmhurst, and elsewhere in this city who will be displaced out of the city by people who didn’t even live here five years ago.
You want a FAANG company to hire 50% local?

Even IF this 50% law was applied Amazon would end up poaching from other local employers. Replacements would probably still be transplants.

Last edited by GoHuskies; 02-13-2019 at 01:49 PM..

Old 02-13-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I’m not even referring to STEM roles. The aforementioned positions that my company pays $80K+ are client service and account management, and sales roles. Zero hard “tech” skills required. However clear aptitude for understanding data and analytics is necessary. Also soft skills that accompany client facing positions like communication etc are needed.

Finally and most importantly, we STRUGGLE to fill these roles. This is in a major city with a huge talent pool. We try to poach from competitive companies but it’s really hard to get someone who is happy in a good paying job to leave.

It feels as though all of those who are against Amazon coming here are “cutting off their nose to spite their face”. I’m not super thrilled that Amazon was given massive incentives, they were really not necessary. However there is a longer term positive impact for having such a high paying major employer, in an industry other than finance in nyc. Also consider the halo effect from supporting companies and industries as well as tec competitors this will build in the long run.
The last paragraph rings true. I wanted to mention that as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City