Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 11:53 AM

3,857 posts, read 3,122,665 times

Advertisements

The reality is that in n/w Queens commands $750k and up. That 25 x 100 lot commanda respect.

All them money bag transactions, come from overseas investors that can wait for a profit.

A Freaking 1 br condo is starting at $500K so what's the surprise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 12:00 PM

84 posts, read 61,432 times
What suckers. I love it. Do any of these filthy, dirty, faux wannabe NYers ever ask themselves...hmmm why are native NYers who grew up here looking to leave, yet transients are willing to pay $1M for a crappy house in Astoria blocks from housing projects?

But I regress. As mentioned above, as long as the communist Chinese keep brining their illegal money bags, all of us native homeowners will benefit. I'm chomping at the bit. Just another year or two - and I'll be demanding top, top dollar - especially if you're Chinese. You pay extra!

Old 02-10-2019, 01:42 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,663,890 times
I'm glad you will benefit.

I'm a native of Flushing who just happened to be born in the wrong time and not be a Chinese person looking to invest their ill-gotten money. The only people who benefit are older, white baby boomers getting out of Dodge. People my age (29) who want to buy a starter home here are out of luck. I'm certainly not benefiting. I WISH I could buy a house in Flushing.

Old 02-10-2019, 01:57 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,849,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post

I'm a native of Flushing who just happened to be born in the wrong time and not be a Chinese person looking to invest their ill-gotten money. The only people who benefit are older, white baby boomers getting out of Dodge. People my age (29) who want to buy a starter home here are out of luck. I'm certainly not benefiting. I WISH I could buy a house in Flushing.
Which is why I left. It didn't really matter how much money I was going to make or if I could get a nice place because so many people I knew were forced out of either Manhattan or any place 30 minutes of Manhattan.

As late as the 80s or 90s anyone with a high school degree could work hard and get an apartment in NYC. Quite clearly that is no longer the case.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:03 PM

I have savings, I am responsible, I have little student debt, and I still can't afford to buy.

It's a damned shame.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:33 PM

12,742 posts, read 8,189,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Which is why I left. It didn't really matter how much money I was going to make or if I could get a nice place because so many people I knew were forced out of either Manhattan or any place 30 minutes of Manhattan.

As late as the 80s or 90s anyone with a high school degree could work hard and get an apartment in NYC. Quite clearly that is no longer the case.
And yet you continue to root on gentrification...

Old 02-10-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
I do not know which was worse. I just wanted to puke.
The audacity to sell these small homes selling for such inflated prices was nothing
compared to how the people who owned them prior had no problem living like pigs.
I'm watching it now. This first house is DISGUSTING. GREEN carpet!! DATED!!! The whole thing needs to be gutted.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raginrivers View Post
These prices are insane for what they're getting. But as long as people are willing to pay, the market will support them. The couple in this HH episode saw some small crappy houses selling for over 1 million dollars and barely batted an eye. So as long as there are buyers willing to overpay for these houses, prices will keep increasing. I'm just wondering where the ceiling will be? I get that "location, location, location" is the golden rule in real estate, but I don't see what's so great about LIC and Astoria. Yes they are close to Manhattan, but they are also overcrowded and ugly. Why don't people go a little further east and or south? There are plenty of other gorgeous places in Queens where you can get a better bang for your buck and still have easy access to Manhattan.
They could get a BEAUTIFUL house in Douglaston or Little Neck or even Beechhurst.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:11 PM

84 posts, read 61,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post

I'm a GenXer. We were priced out as well, not just snowflake millennials. Most of my neighborhood friends went way out to LI or upstate. Many guys now in their mid 40s retiring from city jobs are moving down to Florida. They are truly the lucky ones. I can't retire, but I did make enough in corp. America to buy my house years ago - and will sell big time to the China man.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:20 PM

“Snowflake” millennials.

Nice dig you had to get in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: