Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 06:49 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,596,810 times

Advertisements

I've considered it often for the slower pace of life, the better apartments I could afford with my salary compared to NYC apartments.

The civility, gentility, green spaces, less stress.

However: I feel like I have a mental block against moving out of NYC.

I've lived here for over 10 years, also grew up in the area.
I feel like I've become too much of a New Yorker now to leave.
Like every other place I go seems conservative and conformist and provincial and homogenous and boring in comparison. Doesn't have the energy that the streets of NYC have.

I feel like NYC has ruined me for anyplace else!

Does anyone else feel like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 07:21 AM

443 posts, read 437,458 times
I'd LOVE to move and I'm a born and raised NYer. I just have a hard time convincing the spouse to come with.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:37 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,942,379 times
You're not going to find the energy of NYC streets anywhere else for sure.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:57 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,527 times
Very close these days to just say f.. that you can keep it. I'll commute 2 hrs each way to have a pool in my backyard...wait I don't have a backyard now

Old 06-03-2016, 09:11 AM

786 posts, read 823,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
You're not going to find the energy of NYC streets anywhere else for sure.
Or the crime.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:21 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,942,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
Or the crime.
Theres crime in all of the big cities...I don't get your point. The more people , the more crime.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:23 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,914,233 times
For many years now. I've planned to leave several times but something always happened. most of the time it was fear, the last two times were much more practical reasons...dad got sick and passed away, and then afterward I didn't feel like I could move away from mom. now, it has been over 5 years and she is ok with it, plus we are making plans for her to leave once she retires as well.

My biggest issue now is logistics and timing. Finding a job as an out of town candidate that happens to coincide with when my lease ends is the big challenge. Oh and saving cash to move while paying NYC prices.

But if all the pieces fell into place tomorrow - Bye Felicia!

Old 06-03-2016, 09:31 AM

196 posts, read 330,154 times
I have but it have to be another city or a place with public subway ( not a fan of the bus )

Old 06-03-2016, 02:01 PM

379 posts, read 255,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I've considered it often for the slower pace of life, the better apartments I could afford with my salary compared to NYC apartments.

The civility, gentility, green spaces, less stress.

However: I feel like I have a mental block against moving out of NYC.

I've lived here for over 10 years, also grew up in the area.
I feel like I've become too much of a New Yorker now to leave.
Like every other place I go seems conservative and conformist and provincial and homogenous and boring in comparison. Doesn't have the energy that the streets of NYC have.

I feel like NYC has ruined me for anyplace else!

Does anyone else feel like that?
I'm not surprised by your feelings. Many New Yorkers live in a bubble and actually believe that nothing comes close to New York City. That's why one oftentimes hears people say about non-New Yorkers, "they have nothing to do," and when referring to places outside of New York City, "there's nothing to do there." Or my favorite: "The bars there close early." Like a normal adult needs to be in a bar at 4:00 AM.

I have absorbed much of the "energy" NYC has to offer by living in Queens all of my life an roaming the boroughs, the sort of energy radiated from vast overcrowding, absurd public behavior, a lengthy list of no-go areas that have become and remained squalor- and crime-ridden pest holes, a public school with ~4,000 students and a graduating class of ~1000 (great place to learn, especially when half the kids bussed in to the school are flat-out losers), mass drug addiction, illiteracy, pollution, and noises.

The town I live in now in NYC is nice, but it is one of the few reservations worthy of living on for New York City. For every little enclave or reservation that is decent in NYC, there are dozens of disgusting ones.

I'm not sure what would keep someone here besides a job or a partner who doesn't want to leave. Another option is to somehow make enough money that one is so insulated from all of NYC's ills.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:22 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times
There are problems with every place in the world you can go to.

With that said if you really want to leave NYC you should be moving to a place wherever you can have a good life.

I would recommend you visit other places, make friends in other places, and see where it goes.

If you just dump yourself out of NYC to some strange place you've not even visited, then it would suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City