Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2019, 12:58 PM

318 posts, read 277,343 times

Advertisements

It really is and sorry to say your situation is similar to mines. It’s very annoying
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 12:59 PM

18 posts, read 26,164 times
I'm sympathetic to your plight. There may be more power in just taking what they gave you for now, though (especially if the unit is below what a market rate apt would rent for).

Also, I cannot confirm this (maybe someone else knows more?) but I have read that sometimes in affordable buildings, when certain units of different household sizes open up, they prefer giving them to tenants who already live in the building and were approved. That is, if a 2 bedroom opens up, they'd rather give it to 1 bedroom tenant (whose household is eligible for the two bedroom) because the approval process is faster for those who are already in an affordable unit. (If anyone one knows more about that, I'd be curious if that is true or how that might work.) So it may be best to just take what they give you now, because it may get you to the larger unit in the long run.

Last edited by parasoliloquy; 02-13-2019 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: forgot to add something

Old 02-13-2019, 01:23 PM

Thank you for your input. The building is brand new we will be the first to occupy the building. But i was thinking the same thing maybe if i get inside the building when units become available hopefully i can move into one

Old 02-13-2019, 02:29 PM

3,063 posts, read 2,631,002 times
If there are larger unit sizes (e.g., they have you in a two-bed but you also actually qualify for a three-bed), then you may be able to get on the waiting list for a larger unit while taking the smaller one. Some management companies will do that. There is no harm in asking.

Your other alternative is to reject the apartment and find work that pays enough to cover the rent on a place you consider adequate for your needs. The programs have made determinations about minimum apartment size overall and the minimum/maximum occupancy for each unit size that apply to everyone, and I honestly can't see that they're particularly unreasonable. If you find them to be so, that's of course your call, since you have to live there, but the idea that you're personally entitled to a bigger unit (if there even are any; I don't think they tend to vary that much, except maybe the accessible ones) than the one you got randomly assigned within your band and unit size is baffling to me.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:38 PM

31,587 posts, read 26,419,637 times
Such wicked ingratitude.

Solution is simple; stop looking for others to carry you, and find that perfect *dream* apartment on your own dime.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Such wicked ingratitude.

Solution is simple; stop looking for others to carry you, and find that perfect *dream* apartment on your own dime.
You sound very foolish who’s money am
I using???? Just because it’s dont think for one second I’m not paying. For you information i pay my rent in fully with no assistance. So if you nothing positive to say get off the post.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:47 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,655,664 times
I am appalled at this thread.

Apart from the fact that OP can't even speak English correctly ("Mines"??), she's clearly ungrateful.

"I’m Just confused why would they give me a mother with 2 kids a small Apartment versus a woman with grown ass kids a bigger apartment."

The entitlement honestly offends me on a visceral level.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:54 PM

[quote=shadypinesma;54426205]I am appalled at this thread.

Apart from the fact that OP can't even speak English correctly ("Mines"??), she's clearly ungrateful.

"I’m Just confused why would they give me a mother with 2 kids a small Apartment versus a woman with grown ass kids a bigger apartment."

The entitlement honestly offends me on a visceral level.[/QUOTE
Who cares your opinion isn’t needed.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:08 PM

31,587 posts, read 26,419,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkunicorn0829 View Post
You sound very foolish who’s money am
I using???? Just because it’s dont think for one second I’m not paying. For you information i pay my rent in fully with no assistance. So if you nothing positive to say get off the post.
Sorry but no; in case no one broke things down for you these "affordable" lottery apartments are subsidized by at least two sources; taxpayers (via whatever tax breaks given to developers), and or those in market rate apartments who must pay more to cover shortfall in rents from the "affordable" units. Did you think developers were giving away below market rate apartments out of the kindness of their hearts?

All multifamily housing comes with a certain cost per square foot. Rental or co-op/condo, it doesn't matter. If this number isn't met then problems will start sooner or later. If a certain percentage of units are being rented/sold at a discount, then that loss must be made up elsewhere.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:18 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,655,664 times
Uh... Pinkunicorn, newsflash: affordable housing DOES mean you "get assistance." Who do you think pays for your affordable housing's ability to be subsidized? It doesn't come out of thin air.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with not making a lot of money or needing help to get by or survive in a city as expensive as NYC. Affordable housing is a blessing. But I am honestly disgusted at how entitled some people are.

You should be thanking GOD that you are even given the choice to BE in affordable housing. If you're upset that the apartment is too small, then work harder and get a bigger one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: