Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you live in Jamaica, QU?
Yes 15 26.32%
No 42 73.68%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 01:15 PM

1,199 posts, read 724,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Nothing suburban about Jamaica. It is a very crowded neighborhood.
I always felt Jamaica implied the entire city of Jamaica which includes places like St Albans and Springfield Gardens. Those areas are the middle of nowhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 09:55 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
I was in Jamaica for the day not too long ago, specifically around King Manor Park. Had a great snack that I took to Rufus King Park and King Manor Museum. There is a lot of construction, including high-rises, in the immediate area and somehow Rufus King Park wasn't strewn with litter as it had been in previous visits. The park was well-attended by people from a pretty broad swath of the world.

For anyone looking for food in the downtown Jamaica area that's not just fried chicken, there are good Salvadorean places with pupusas, a couple of good taco joints, a couple of good Portuguese places, at least one great sandwich shop, at least one good Colombian bakery/restaurant, and a good northern Chinese dumpling place. There's supposedly a good Caribbean place, but I've never eaten there.

Anyone try the fish market and its takeout food? How is it? Walking by it and saw that it was pretty packed so at least it seems like the fish would have high turnover and help keep things fresh. It's also weird, because my memories of walking by the place were substantially more negative than this time around where it looked pretty good.

Old 04-09-2019, 02:50 PM

122 posts, read 122,609 times
Why not go to Newark, Hunts Point, or Brownsville by those standards? Commute into NYC is 15 mins from each place. Why jamaica if its 40 min?

Old 04-10-2019, 02:31 AM

251 posts, read 148,432 times
I lived there two years and hated it (albeit on a very nice tree-lined block near the E/J/Z at Jamaica Center).

The problem? It's far from Manhattan and I found the entire stretch of Jamaica Ave.'s retail offerings all low-budget and trashy. Somebody above alluded to a bunch chicken places, and other than the McD/Wendy's/Popeye's/BK/Golden Crust, that is mostly correct. (They JUST got a Chipotle and Dallas BBQ within the past year or so, though neither establishment is nothing to brag about). Wig shops and 99 cents stores abound and the Duane Reade near the subway station is the worse I've ever been to in all of NYC. And don't get me started on that disgusting fish-smelling Sutphin Ave area adjacent to the LIRR station--alcoholics and zombiefied methadone peeps milling about and truly irritating. The whole place felt like Newark, circa 1983.

If there's any neighborhood that needs investment, it's that one.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:09 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,596,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aflyguy View Post
I lived there two years and hated it (albeit on a very nice tree-lined block near the E/J/Z at Jamaica Center).

The problem? It's far from Manhattan and I found the entire stretch of Jamaica Ave.'s retail offerings all low-budget and trashy. Somebody above alluded to a bunch chicken places, and other than the McD/Wendy's/Popeye's/BK/Golden Crust, that is mostly correct. (They JUST got a Chipotle and Dallas BBQ within the past year or so, though neither establishment is nothing to brag about). Wig shops and 99 cents stores abound and the Duane Reade near the subway station is the worse I've ever been to in all of NYC. And don't get me started on that disgusting fish-smelling Sutphin Ave area adjacent to the LIRR station--alcoholics and zombiefied methadone peeps milling about and truly irritating. The whole place felt like Newark, circa 1983.

If there's any neighborhood that needs investment, it's that one.
Agreed. Very run down and not many redeeming qualities. I would rather live in the South Bronx to be honest.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:22 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,596,628 times
And RIP again to the OP...he was a fairly regular poster who passed away, nobody but me and one other poster even acknowledged it

Old 04-10-2019, 05:28 AM

251 posts, read 148,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
And RIP again to the OP...he was a fairly regular poster who passed away, nobody but me and one other poster even acknowledged it

Oh wow. I didn't read this thread from the beginning. So sorry to hear this about Yeadon. (I've been lurking more than posting for many years and I do remember recall his activity on C-D) Many condolences to his family.

How did you guys find out?

Old 09-09-2019, 12:53 PM

294 posts, read 263,399 times
Wow! The Mary Immaculate development is almost completed. I can't believe this beast used to be Mary Immaculate hospital. The amenities are insane! Since this development is upscale, question is if they are gonna fill these apartments. I just had lunch in Rufus King park and it was a disaster with litter, homeless sleeping on benches and urinating on trees, and drug addicts openly using in public. Hopefully they'll send the 103rd in there to get out the scum. Such a beautiful park ruined by low life's. Hopefully, that will change once Parkhill city opens. https://www.prweb.com/releases/parkh...eb16554703.htm

Old 09-09-2019, 01:12 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,861,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aflyguy View Post

Oh wow. I didn't read this thread from the beginning. So sorry to hear this about Yeadon. (I've been lurking more than posting for many years and I do remember recall his activity on C-D) Many condolences to his family.

How did you guys find out?

//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...18-passed.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: