Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 11:32 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
No, but VERY filling...

Why do you eat so much junk food? You have to fit going to the market into your schedule. I go to Whole Foods once on the weekends and once or twice during the week either going home or going to work. Quick stop off for fruit and a few odds and ends.

Because I love junk food. And I'm relatively thin so I just keep on trucking along.

I do go to the stores but I am a picky eater sometimes and work two jobs (off hours) along with taking coursework. Honestly, I just wish Shop Rite was closer because that's my favorite place to shop. By where I live, there are only crappy Key Foods. As much as others are obsessed with TJs, 95% of the time I end up disappointed with whatever I purchase from there. WFs I won't do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 11:50 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Because I love junk food. And I'm relatively thin so I just keep on trucking along.

I do go to the stores but I am a picky eater sometimes and work two jobs (off hours) along with taking coursework. Honestly, I just wish Shop Rite was closer because that's my favorite place to shop. By where I live, there are only crappy Key Foods. As much as others are obsessed with TJs, 95% of the time I end up disappointed with whatever I purchase from there. WFs I won't do.
lol There are some 24 hour Shop Rites around that may be worth going to.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:46 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Quote:

It’s all fun and games until your metabolism slows down. Also if you train yourself to have better eating habits now, you’re body and health will thank you later.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:26 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
It’s all fun and games until your metabolism slows down. Also if you train yourself to have better eating habits now, you’re body and health will thank you later.
While I do want to eat a little better, these gentrified diets in this thread have no appeal to me!

Old 02-26-2019, 11:10 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
lol There are some 24 hour Shop Rites around that may be worth going to.
There is one not too far (twenty minute drive?) but then my husband works a different schedule than me so we have to coordinate these things. When I used to work nights, I used to go to Pathmark (back when it was still open) after work in the morning when no one was there. I just do not really crave healthy foods. My husband and I went away a few weekends ago and the place we were staying at gave us fruit and I said, "Isn't this sad? I think this is the first time I've eaten fruit in a month!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Meh. The mistake is automatically blaming the "metabolism" slowing down. Most PEOPLE slow down. I've heard so many people say, "When I was a kid, I could eat anything I wanted!" These same people were kids that never stopped moving, played sports, etc. and then completely stopped doing these things as an adult. My dad says the same crap but my dad was always running around when he was younger and the older he got, the more he ate and he never did anything outside of going to work. That's why he's over three hundred pounds.

I stayed around the same weight from HS through my first year or so of college. Then I went away for a year and I wasn't walking EVERYWHERE like I used to do in NYC. I put on about 10-15 pounds. Stayed that weight for awhile. Years later, when I started working nights, I put on another 15 pounds because the nights were killing me and I hadn't appropriately adjusted.

After I was laid-off from that job, I was like, "Holy f&ck!" I did the 5:2 and with the weight I lost, I had never been as thin in my life and this was in my late 20s. I was teetering on underweight. I was harassed into putting weight back on. And I was working nights but I actually went about things the right way this time.

I am trying, once again, to eat better but I just started Sunday so I'll probably only last a month. But I figure I'll drop a few pounds, just because I'm even older now and just because I can. And I will still not really eat breakfast and eat a ton of calories just before bed because calories in, calories out and all that other stuff is just nonsense.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
There is one not too far (twenty minute drive?) but then my husband works a different schedule than me so we have to coordinate these things. When I used to work nights, I used to go to Pathmark (back when it was still open) after work in the morning when no one was there. I just do not really crave healthy foods. My husband and I went away a few weekends ago and the place we were staying at gave us fruit and I said, "Isn't this sad? I think this is the first time I've eaten fruit in a month!"

Meh. The mistake is automatically blaming the "metabolism" slowing down. Most PEOPLE slow down. I've heard so many people say, "When I was a kid, I could eat anything I wanted!" These same people were kids that never stopped moving, played sports, etc. and then completely stopped doing these things as an adult. My dad says the same crap but my dad was always running around when he was younger and the older he got, the more he ate and he never did anything outside of going to work. That's why he's over three hundred pounds.

I stayed around the same weight from HS through my first year or so of college. Then I went away for a year and I wasn't walking EVERYWHERE like I used to do in NYC. I put on about 10-15 pounds. Stayed that weight for awhile. Years later, when I started working nights, I put on another 15 pounds because the nights were killing me and I hadn't appropriately adjusted.

After I was laid-off from that job, I was like, "Holy f&ck!" I did the 5:2 and with the weight I lost, I had never been as thin in my life and this was in my late 20s. I was teetering on underweight. I was harassed into putting weight back on. And I was working nights but I actually went about things the right way this time.

I am trying, once again, to eat better but I just started Sunday so I'll probably only last a month. But I figure I'll drop a few pounds, just because I'm even older now and just because I can. And I will still not really eat breakfast and eat a ton of calories just before bed because calories in, calories out and all that other stuff is just nonsense.
Have you ever noticed that back in the day, people didn't really do fad diets (at least not compared to today) and didn't seem to have an aversion to sugar, yet most people were thin? Obesity is high as it has ever been in the US despite the obsession with fad diets, health food, and working out.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:37 PM

84 posts, read 62,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Have you ever noticed that back in the day, people didn't really do fad diets (at least not compared to today) and didn't seem to have an aversion to sugar, yet most people were thin? Obesity is high as it has ever been in the US despite the obsession with fad diets, health food, and working out.
Well "back in the day" the American population was mostly white of European stock which tend to be thin and fit. As white Americans were replaced with Hispanics, the numbers started to change and "Americans" were becoming larger. Hispanic countries tend to be obese.

Continue to expect "Americans" to grow more obese as a % of the pop as Hispanics grow in numbers.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFanMan View Post
Well "back in the day" the American population was mostly white of European stock which tend to be thin and fit. As white Americans were replaced with Hispanics, the numbers started to change and "Americans" were becoming larger. Hispanic countries tend to be obese.

Continue to expect "Americans" to grow more obese as a % of the pop as Hispanics grow in numbers.
Your analysis is a little off. The UK is almost as obese as the US and their population is heavily white (and people of British Isles heritage are found throughout the US).

As far as I know, the only Hispanic country whose obesity matches US is Mexico. South American countries are less obese.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:54 PM

84 posts, read 62,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Your analysis is a little off. The UK is almost as obese as the US and their population is heavily white (and people of British Isles heritage are found throughout the US).

As far as I know, the only Hispanic country whose obesity matches US is Mexico. South American countries are less obese.
Just drive down Rossevelt avenue any day of the week and observe. Hispanics of all kinds. And they love to eat.

Nonsense about the UK. Sure a few soccer hooligans are fat cows, but the British (England, N. Ireland, Wales and Scotland) are in MUCH better shape compared to Americans. They move...they move a lot.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:58 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,817,229 times
I order delivery a lot.

Otherwise it's TJ frozen dinners, boiled eggs, flank steak with rice, and lot's of junk food (chips and cookies mostly). I lift heavy 3x a week (for 8 plus years) so I'm always hungry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City