Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 08:19 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,611,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Well, assuming that to be the case, wouldn't having Amazon here in NYC, be the best way to then get them to fix that?

How are you NYC social justice warriors going to influence Amazon's corporate culture when they are somewhere else?

Catch-22. Amazon doesn't want the local community having too much influence over Amazon employment practices. Bezoz can talk up the 'unions' excuse all he wants but I'm pretty firm in my belief NYC was either A) never really a consideration but a way to butter up VA officials into offering a sweeter deal, or B) Bezos was scared of rising sentiment that Amazon needed to be a bigger part of the conversation when it comes to housing, transportation, local hiring, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 08:23 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Why did amazon back out of NYC hq part 2.

Let's rename the thread please.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Incorrect...

I grew up in Queens with friends with origins from at least 25 different countries from every continent. And they are NY born and raised...

So no, it would not be like any other city in the country or even the world even if we stopped importing indefinitely.
I don't think he wrong. He is correct. NYC does attract people from across the country, especially in the past 20 years. Middle America does produce talented people, but does not have the work spaces for talented people. Thus those talented educated people must move to big cities to find work. I used to date a woman from Minnesota where her job was strictly transplant and no native New Yorkers worked there.

But you are right though on NYC not being a 2nd rate city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypothead View Post
for reals. many of the best people i've met in new york city are disproportionately transplants anyway

what makes new york city unique is that it attracts people from all over the country and from the world. if all it did was reproduce itself, it'd just be another boring second rate city
This is true.

The big problem with NYC is its educational system, especially within the high school and and lesser extent CUNY system. NYC does not create talent thanks to our failing educational system, save for a few specialized schools, parochial schools, private schools and 1 or 2 charter schools. The sad thing about NYC created talented persons is that they end up leaving for other places such as California dmv and Massachusetts for employment. I know a few talented natives who work in the DC area and California

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 02-24-2019 at 09:58 AM..

Old 02-24-2019, 10:20 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
Catch-22. Amazon doesn't want the local community having too much influence over Amazon employment practices. Bezoz can talk up the 'unions' excuse all he wants but I'm pretty firm in my belief NYC was either A) never really a consideration but a way to butter up VA officials into offering a sweeter deal, or B) Bezos was scared of rising sentiment that Amazon needed to be a bigger part of the conversation when it comes to housing, transportation, local hiring, etc.
That's all just your "belief" based on nothing but your own suspicion.

Bezos is a liberal and Amazon is a Seattle-based liberal company. They are already on the Left on most of these issues.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
That's all just your "belief" based on nothing but your own suspicion.

Bezos is a liberal and Amazon is a Seattle-based liberal company. They are already on the Left on most of these issues.
They are corporate left like microsoft. But not far left like Google apple Facebook and Twitter. San Francisco and Seattle has different political left culture.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:45 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Polar opposite experience. The only thing that can possibly account for our different experiences is job function. I sit on the client facing side of the business and as mentioned I’ve worked for 5 ad tech/digital specific companies spanning over 10 years. Also being client facing I’ve interacted with 100s if not 1000s of individuals in the industry. I can assure you that many, many of the people I work with are “from here”. That said there could be a difference in back end vs front end personnel. What is your role at these companies?

Also when people throw around “locals” are you using that to mean blacks and Hispanics? That’s a different argument. The industry is known to have a diversity challenge but that is not a challenge unique to tech as there similar problems in finance, media, etc. For the record, I’m black and a woman, hold a university degree (from out of state) and was born and raised in Westchester.
Finance has crushed diversity quotas compared to media/ad tech. Government workers are obviously diverse. Construction is diverse (although segregated) as well as Real Estate.

Ad tech/Media has like 10% minorities....TOTAL. Meanwhile it's like 2x that amount in other fields in NYC.

I see other Blacks occasionally but RARELY Hispanics. My high school in Queens was 25% Filipino. Now alot of them get into Medicine (another diverse industry) but compared to their population there are virtually zero in Media. IT of course has Indians but they tend to be limited to highly technical roles and only strategic if it's a Finance or Tech end client.

When I go to networking events for martech/adtech and compare to other industries/fields it is super duper White and heavily Midwestern. Now I got no problem with White Minnesotans but it's hard given I grew up in the United Nations...

Old 02-24-2019, 01:37 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,556,641 times
Quote:
NYC is hardly unique in that regard anymore. Hate to break it to you but many cities in this country have a lot of ethnic diversity, some more so than NYC. Try getting good quality Vietnamese or Somali in NYC.

Well, assuming that to be the case, wouldn't having Amazon here in NYC, be the best way to then get them to fix that?

How are you NYC social justice warriors going to influence Amazon's corporate culture when they are somewhere else?
ok,

https://ny.eater.com/maps/best-vietn...rants-food-nyc

0.00000000019 w.e. seconds

Old 02-24-2019, 01:40 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Quote:
Finance has crushed diversity quotas compared to media/ad tech. Government workers are obviously diverse. Construction is diverse (although segregated) as well as Real Estate.

Ad tech/Media has like 10% minorities....TOTAL. Meanwhile it's like 2x that amount in other fields in NYC.

I see other Blacks occasionally but RARELY Hispanics. My high school in Queens was 25% Filipino. Now alot of them get into Medicine (another diverse industry) but compared to their population there are virtually zero in Media. IT of course has Indians but they tend to be limited to highly technical roles and only strategic if it's a Finance or Tech end client.

When I go to networking events for martech/adtech and compare to other industries/fields it is super duper White and heavily Midwestern. Now I got no problem with White Minnesotans but it's hard given I grew up in the United Nations...
So then the issue isn’t that Amazon, or the industry in general, doesn’t hire many locals it’s that Amazon/the industry doesn’t hire many minorities. That is a different problem and argument.

With these other “diverse” industries, keep in mind they’ve been around a lot longer than ad tech which is a new industry. They were not always as diverse and have had to recruit hard in the past 30 years for increased diversity. Still yet at the top of these other industries you will be hard pressed to find minorities, or women for that matter, in senior leadership positions. So is their diversity really that diverse if minorities are (kept) out of the top roles?

Finally one sensitive-topic to note is that the vast majority of blacks and Hispanics in NYC don’t have the skills or education to enter the ad tech fields (hate to open up that can of worms. It “is what it is” and that’s another topic that can be debated forever). The ones that are adequately skilled and educated, probably get recruited by other industries like finance so they can fill their “quotas”.

I assume from your response that you’re black. Is that correct?

Old 02-24-2019, 02:49 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
So then the issue isn’t that Amazon, or the industry in general, doesn’t hire many locals it’s that Amazon/the industry doesn’t hire many minorities. That is a different problem and argument.

With these other “diverse” industries, keep in mind they’ve been around a lot longer than ad tech which is a new industry. They were not always as diverse and have had to recruit hard in the past 30 years for increased diversity. Still yet at the top of these other industries you will be hard pressed to find minorities, or women for that matter, in senior leadership positions. So is their diversity really that diverse if minorities are (kept) out of the top roles?

Finally one sensitive-topic to note is that the vast majority of blacks and Hispanics in NYC don’t have the skills or education to enter the ad tech fields (hate to open up that can of worms. It “is what it is” and that’s another topic that can be debated forever). The ones that are adequately skilled and educated, probably get recruited by other industries like finance so they can fill their “quotas”.

I assume from your response that you’re black. Is that correct?
Yes I am Black and have tried to get Native NYer friends (Black and Latino) into the industry to no avail. SUNY Oswego, Hofstra, Fordham, etc. Doesn't matter. If they were born and raised here they are rejected. There is some kind of regional complex because there are lots of Black employees from OUTSIDE OF NYC or from Africa/Carribean. There's this program now called the Co-Op initiative which is partnering with local NY colleges to recruit locally. It's slowly changing things at the big 5 but seems like it's mainly Group M for now.

Native NYer Black and Latinos DO have the skills - I am mentoring a Puerto Rican kid now who is having a tough time breaking into the industry. Same alma mater. He has the skills 100%. He gets interviews but culturally he is probably not making them feel "comfortable" enough.

I personally am NOT unapologetically Black, not even in a Dave Chappelle or Chris Rock manner...but I have noticed that most Blacks hired are VERY "on code" and "toned down" while Latinos from my observation often have problems with this and are not used to slight modifications required to make Whites comfortable in the workplace. Now a caveat is this generally mainly applies to Midwestern Whites that lacked exposure to minorities at a young age from my experience. This doesn't apply to Eastern Europeans at all...They can be a mixed bag but are far less sensitive and delicate I the workplace.

The hilarious part is that I overhear on PR/Strategy calls the conundrum that they are having a hard time appealing to Latinos

Yet Latinos are mainly in Accounting department at best and NEVER on PR (It is literally always the Whitest Becky from Indiana )

I apologize if any transplants were offended by this post but that's what Native NYers do....We keep it REAL...

Old 02-24-2019, 03:32 PM

283 posts, read 233,578 times
Quote:

Yet Latinos are mainly in Accounting department at best and NEVER on PR (It is literally always the Whitest Becky from Indiana )
Whitest Becky from Indiana? You clearly don't know your white people very well. PR is full of Jewish women, particularly of the J-A-P variety
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City