Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 01:56 PM

39 posts, read 115,790 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Im a single dad in NYC hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I applied for NYCHA in March of 09. I initially included my daughter on my application. At that time i was in court for custody of her. I eventually got called in for a interview in June and selected Baruch Houses as my 1st choice. I was offered a 1 bedroom then. In the early part of 2010 i recieved letter from NYCHA stating that i was being downgraded to a studio apartment being that i did not have docs supporting that i had custody of my daughter. I selected Fulton Houses. In April of 2010, i was granted 50/50 joint legal custody of my daughter where i now have her 3 to 4 days weekly. I sent the docs into the management at Fulton Houses as per the direction of the secretary but got no response. I was called in August of 2010 to see the apartment which was a studio. I expressed to my housing assistant that i had a daughter at which point she called in the manager. I showed them my custody docs and was advised that i could apply for a 1 bedroom, however i would have to start the process all over again with waiting and miss out on the opportunity. I took the studio being that i needed a place to live for me and my child immediately, but i want to put in for an upgrade to at least a 1 bedroom apartment so that we may have space for the both of us. Does anyone know what my options are? What step should i take next? Please help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 09:43 AM

9 posts, read 73,750 times
hi kahnman soo.. from living in housing all of my life i can tell you that you need to live in your current apartment for @ least a year before you can request a transfer to a larger apartment after that you can speak to your housing assistant about the transfer and they will give you the option of wanting a trnsfr in the same developement or being put on a waiting list for any development with a 2 bedroom.. I HOPE THIS HELPED.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:29 PM

91 posts, read 312,104 times
Take the apartment, wait the time needed for the transfer and then apply for a one bedroom. At this point, it is the only chance. If you restart the process, it will take forever.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:40 PM

8 posts, read 68,173 times
Take the apartment and wait to transfer into a larger apartment...i currently reside in a 1 bedroom apt with my son..I applied for a 2bedroom transfer and I was selected in two months. I will be moving this week. sometimes the process is quick when you want to transfer into a larger apartment, especially 1 bedrooms, they are always available.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:49 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I recieved a letter stating that i dont qualify for a 1 bedroom being that i dont have full custody of my child? Has anyone ever heard of this before? I do have joint custody as she is w/me 3 days weekly. I just feel that there should be something else i can do in regards to this.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:28 PM

Somebody please help meeeeeee!!! lol

Old 04-10-2011, 06:03 AM

11 posts, read 75,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahnman View Post
Somebody please help meeeeeee!!! lol
It always helps to contact ur elected representative.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:39 AM

31 posts, read 129,267 times
Hi hope I can be helpful,

Dealing with NYCHA and there employees who most times don't know the rules and regulations themselves, I'm realy hoping I can be helpful.

According to "NYCHA's Tenant Selection and Assignment Plan" "VI. Tenants Transfers within Public Housing A. The Transfer Process: Housing Authority tenants shall be permitted to apply for a transfer from one apartment or project to another. To do so, they must submit a written request to the manager of the project at which they reside, on the form designated by the Housing Authority, showing the reason for the transfer request.(Theis requirement does not apply in the cases specified below where a tenant refuses to request an appropriate transfer). If the project manager denies the request, he or she shall notify the tenant in writing of the reason for denial. If the project manager approves the request, he or she shall assign a priority code to it and send it to FLD. If FLD denies the transfer request, the tenant shall receive notice in writing of the reason for the denial. If FLD approves the transfer request, and the tenant family meets all other transfer requirements (including a criminal background check where required), the transfered process shall be effected.

According to this you don't have to wait or live there for a year to request a transfer and it is true housing employees do state you have to live there for a year before you can request a transfer.

NYCHA also have Transfer Priorities codes and yours can be: "Code T4, Tenants who are: Overcrowded based on the approve occupancy of the apartment. Transferees who are "overcrowded" must choose their current project unless the project contains no apartment so the size required. In thes cases transferees who need apartments of five bedrooms or more may choose only the borough in which they wish to live (thes requests shall be certified by FLD); those who need apartments of four bedrooms or less may choose any project designated as aticipating vacanicies on the Guide (these requests shall be certified to the selcect project)."

I believe you can use this clause because if I'm not mistaken the household size for your apartment is 2 but, because your have a daughter and not a son she is suppose to have her own bedroom. In fact if I'm not mistaken you are even eligible for a two bedroom because your child is a girl. So when you put in your request for a bigger appartment state the codes and also the fact that your child is a girl. I don't know her age but that also helps to factor in if you can get a 1 or 2 bedroom.

Hope this was helpful and if you need the full document email me your mailing address to bmarin72@yahoo.com and I will sent it to you.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:40 PM

5 posts, read 22,099 times
Hi I also. Chose Fulton houses how is any info would be appreciated

Old 08-25-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applehead5 View Post
Hi I also. Chose Fulton houses how is any info would be appreciated

Fulton is very very nice. It's in chelsea about 2 blocks away from the piers...great neighborhood and the people in my building are very friendly. Mostly elderly people hang out in front of the building w/their dogs...not much drama with the occasional teenager hanging out here and there, but you will be happy there!..i just wish i could get a 1 bedroom. studio is kinda small but you learn to make do with what you're given! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City