Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2008, 09:21 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,583 times

Advertisements

APV..although I prefer to ignore your comments I will lift the ban today. I in no way claimed there are ONLY $10 an hour jobs, I said that if you are earning $10 an hour in NYC, you are better off taking yourself and your family OUT of NYC and moving somewhere in which that salary will go much further and provide you with a better life.

And yes if you have the education and certain marketable skills you will find higher paying jobs other than the $10 an hour kind....nobody argues this point. However, the volume of the higher paying jobs are miniscule, and if you believe that you can make a "ton of money" in places like Charlotte...good luck with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 09:35 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
However, the volume of the higher paying jobs are miniscule, and if you believe that you can make a "ton of money" in places like Charlotte...good luck with that.

I understand what you are saying but I disagree with this point. There are plenty of people that make a "ton of money" in places other than NYC, ie Charlotte, Atlanta, Tampa, Dallas, etc etc. It seems harder to make a "ton of money" here b/c this place is so saturated with highly skilled and educated people, you are fighting with more people for the top positions. I am not saying some people in NYC don't make a ton of money cause they do, it just seems like a harder, longer, struggle to get there than it might be in another city.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:05 AM

Hmm..I think the opposite..it is much easier to make a "ton of money" here..the problem is actually KEEPING that money because of the higher taxes, rent, food, etc. There are very few "ton of money" jobs in Charlotte, and you are subsequently competing with too many people..which depresses the wages in the area.

Let's put things in perspective: If you had a choice of going to 1 place where you thought you could make it big, make a "ton of money", take over the world so to speak....your choice would be Charlotte? I think a reasonable person would choose NYC for all the same reasons why the city continues to attract tens of millions of tourists, highly skilled labor, immigrants, national transplants, college grads, global firms, international elite, and everything in between.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:01 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,164 times
Quote:
Hmm..I think the opposite..it is much easier to make a "ton of money" here..the problem is actually KEEPING that money because of the higher taxes, rent, food, etc. There are very few "ton of money" jobs in Charlotte, and you are subsequently competing with too many people..which depresses the wages in the area.

Let's put things in perspective: If you had a choice of going to 1 place where you thought you could make it big, make a "ton of money", take over the world so to speak....your choice would be Charlotte? I think a reasonable person would choose NYC for all the same reasons why the city continues to attract tens of millions of tourists, highly skilled labor, immigrants, national transplants, college grads, global firms, international elite, and everything in between.

I think it depends on the field you are in. You are probably right in some fields, especially financially areas. But I know with my degree and chosen field, if I were to stay in NYC and join the rat race, I would in for a long low paying battle to rise to the top. But I could go else where and quickly find a good paying job with a lesser amount of highly skilled people to compete with. But your right, if your willing to battle it out and get to the top in a NYC firm, you will be well compensated.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:52 AM

17 posts, read 58,535 times
Roommateships are hard. I dont recommend it. It will definitely put a damper on your experience. So if housing is the real problem. Look for one of those lotteries on NYC.gov.[/quote]

Do you know how little income you must have for thos lotteries? I have looked into it, and i would be on the high end by myself and would never be able to do it with my fiancee and I living together! But without a lottery, we are living in Staten Island with 3 roommates because that is the best we can afford. It is rediculous that we have sepnt the kind of money we have on schooling and now, both with degrees have to live with roommates in a city that some are claiming is fine for the middle class... not in my experience it's not! And yeah living in an oputer burrough is fine for me, but to get the really inexpensive rents, you need to live way out into one of those borroughs where the transporatation dwindles and then you need a car. So you mind as well just pay the higher rent and stay where it is easy to get around with out a car.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:58 AM

Your posts just don't jive with me....what are you currently paying in rent to live with 3 roommates in Staten Island? What do you qualify as "affordable" rent? $1,000 for a 1 bedroom? $1,300 for a 2 bedroom?

Old 04-17-2008, 09:22 AM

17 posts, read 58,535 times
I'm talking like 1300-1500 for a one bedroom. I had a very hard time finding that when we were looking for apartments this summer. I moved from spending 1000 and having to keep cans of roach spray on either side of the bed in Harlem to spending the same for a nice apartment that is easily accesible in Staten Island. But any other place I looked at in our price range was the same situation, roach infested buildings in Harlem and sketchy areas of Brooklyn. I chose Staten Island with roommates over that and still don't relish my neighborhood.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:26 AM

Hmm...well there are PLENTY of places in that price range that are adjacent to Manhattan in fact. Of course, you will not be living in prime locations for that rent, and neither should you expect to. You can live in a HOST of Bronx locations, actually just about all of them for that amount, as well as interior areas of Brooklyn and Queens. And yes these apts will be nice and renovated as well!

If you cannot find a suitable apt 1 bedroom apt for $1,400 in the outerboroughs within an easy commute to NYC then you are being entirely too picky, are excluding all areas where there are majority people of color, and are not willing to make reasonable compromises.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:29 AM

10 posts, read 17,610 times
I first went to New York with a friend in 1963 and yes, it was a disappointment. We neither one could make over $60/week with the cheapest rent we could find at about $200/month--thus we were forced to take in horrible roommates....I couldn't wait to get out of there--went to L.A. and loved it out there. In those days you could live there cheaply and have lots of fun and it was safe to walk around and visit places after dark! My first little apartment was only $40/month!

Old 04-17-2008, 09:31 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Hmm...well there are PLENTY of places in that price range that are adjacent to Manhattan in fact. Of course, you will not be living in prime locations for that rent, and neither should you expect to. You can live in a HOST of Bronx locations, actually just about all of them for that amount, as well as interior areas of Brooklyn and Queens. And yes these apts will be nice and renovated as well!

If you cannot find a suitable apt 1 bedroom apt for $1,400 in the outerboroughs within an easy commute to NYC then you are being entirely too picky, are excluding all areas where there are majority people of color, and are not willing to make reasonable compromises.
well she did say that she lived in harlem before....

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City