Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2008, 05:04 PM

10 posts, read 20,395 times

Advertisements

No matter what a city is like doesn't it still appeal to certain people? CrazyJerzyKidUNO and others are saying that nyc sucks now because it is getting expensive for families to live there or just expensive in general with less crime statistics. Well then nyc is absolutely perfect for me as I'm about to go into my 20s and would enjoy an environment with mostly young people and not too many families into my 30s. So no matter what happens the city will always be great for some people and suck for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 05:37 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
people are mystified by the idea of living in manhattan. the outer boroughs are still like an abnormality to most newcomers.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-31-2008, 08:49 PM

536 posts, read 2,348,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyun-Soo View Post
What I don't understand is why you want to live smack dab in Manhattan if you are unhappy about it. Why don't you find a cheaper apartment in Queens, Brooklyn or some other borough and just commute?
Because they didn't dream about moving to Queens when they decided to up and leave for the big city. I live here, and believe me, I wouldn't dream of living here either.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:00 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysocks View Post
Because they didn't dream about moving to Queens when they decided to up and leave for the big city. I live here, and believe me, I wouldn't dream of living here either.
It's true that when people around the country think of New York City, Manhattan is usually what they have in mind. It gets portrayed as the center of the universe, outside of which everything is not only meaningless, but second rate, as well. Of course, not everyone shares in this mindset. I happen to have been born right here in Brooklyn, and I'm afraid that the "Manhattan Mystique" is totally lost on me.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:20 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,984,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
It's true that when people around the country think of New York City, Manhattan is usually what they have in mind. It gets portrayed as the center of the universe, outside of which everything is not only meaningless, but second rate, as well. Of course, not everyone shares in this mindset. I happen to have been born right here in Brooklyn, and I'm afraid that the "Manhattan Mystique" is totally lost on me.
I concur.. I live in Queens, and I was never amazed by Manhattan. There are some spots I go to occasionally, but I usually try my best to stay away from there, and Times Square is an absolute no-no.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:54 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,368,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysocks View Post
I dream of living in Queens....but then again I live in the Bronx

Old 08-01-2008, 07:02 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
the same can be said for people who grew up or spent most of their time in manhattan. the boroughs are pretty underwhelming and residential to them.
different strokes you know?

Last edited by john_starks; 08-01-2008 at 07:12 AM..

Old 08-01-2008, 09:57 AM

33 posts, read 37,971 times
I like the city but it is bit much for me. In terms of day to day living imuch prefer the boroughs. For fun and work def the city!

Old 08-06-2008, 01:31 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjRey View Post
But your money goes farther out here in the Bay.People are makin ridiculous cash even in this economy out here.I go to the Bronx all time to visit fam,and I love it.But i can't front,You can make 50k to 70k a year here easy w/ out a degree.Very Real Talk.
This is true. That's why I am here. When they pay a receptionist 16-25/hr withouth a degree...you know something is good. So long as I budget..that's more than enough to live off of as I get thru college. I don't know anywhere else that pays that well. And if they pay in relation to their city..you still have to buy a car..and therefore you don't come out ahead.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:47 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Times Square is an absolute no-no.
Actually, I'm rather disappointed by Times Square. It used to radiate excitement. But ever since Disney plunked themselves down there, it's become more and more like every other city. That's what was always so special about New York: it wasn't like every other city. Well, we have former Mayor Giuliani to thank for opening the floodgates of the "big boxes." Now I guess we have to live with the result!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City