Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 12:43 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
I agree with this. NYC is just getting so crowded.

I can't wait to move out of here in 2020 and hopefully move my office to Hoboken.
Dude Hoboken is likely to be underwater by the 2020's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 01:07 PM

1,121 posts, read 590,747 times
Old pirates, yes, they rob I
Sold I to the merchant ships
Minutes after they took I
From the bottomless pit
But my hand was made strong
By the hand of the Almighty
We forward in this generation
Triumphantly
Won't you help to sing
These songs of freedom?
'Cause all I ever have
Redemption songs
Redemption songs
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery
None but ourselves can free our minds
Have no fear for atomic energy
'Cause none of them can stop the time
How long shall they kill our prophets
While we stand aside and look? Ooh
Some say it's just a part of it
We've got to fulfill the Book
Won't you help to sing
These songs of freedom?
'Cause all I ever have
Redemption songs
Redemption songs
Redemption songs
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery
None but…
-Bob Marley

Old 01-11-2019, 06:41 PM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
He was 15 years too late anyway

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-11-2019, 07:35 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I said office not to live.

And NYC will also be underwater...So will Miami Beach...Southern California will have a big earthquake and break off from the Continental USA...Hawaii will no longer be due to a big volcano eruption...The supervolcano of Yellowstone will erupt and wipe off half the planet...

Old 01-12-2019, 05:25 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
It makes no sense to worry about something that is not going to happen in
your life time unless you are looking to pass on a piece of real estate to your children.

Live in the moment now, today!
The only thing that should worry anybody about tomorrow is waking up.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:21 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
^^^^^^^

Good sense.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:24 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
I said office not to live.

And NYC will also be underwater...So will Miami Beach...Southern California will have a big earthquake and break off from the Continental USA...Hawaii will no longer be due to a big volcano eruption...The supervolcano of Yellowstone will erupt and wipe off half the planet...
Those all have different severities and probabilities (virtually zero for Southern California breaking off and falling into the ocean, though big earthquakes are likely).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
It makes no sense to worry about something that is not going to happen in
your life time unless you are looking to pass on a piece of real estate to your children.

Live in the moment now, today!
The only thing that should worry anybody about tomorrow is waking up.
Some of us are millennials or maybe younger and will live to see some of these consequences.

When we bought, we bought way outside of flood zones because those floods are likely to come with greater frequency and greater severity. It may take a while for those places to simply be permanently underwater, and NYC or parts of it are potentially valuable enough to the country that they embark on massive engineering projects to ward such off, but the flood severity and frequency is going to increase and the people living in those zones are going to end up paying for it some way or other.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:26 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Some of us are millennials or maybe younger and will live to see some of these consequences.

Then it behooves you to work with every thread of your being to forestall those that can be forestalled.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:35 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Those all have different severities and probabilities (virtually zero for Southern California breaking off and falling into the ocean, though big earthquakes are likely).

When we bought, we bought way outside of flood zones because those floods are likely to come with greater frequency and greater severity. It may take a while for those places to simply be permanently underwater, and NYC or parts of it are potentially valuable enough to the country that they embark on massive engineering projects to ward such off, but the flood severity and frequency is going to increase and the people living in those zones are going to end up paying for it some way or other.
We should seek the advise of the Dutch. They have some experience with what they did with Amsterdam.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:08 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

Then it behooves you to work with every thread of your being to forestall those that can be forestalled.
yes, and you have every right to feel as you do and to be as emphatic as your post. You should be pissed; you were screwed.

You answered the "I've got mine, so f-it" meme very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City