Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 01:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,022 times

Advertisements

I've lived in downtown Manhattan (Tribeca) for over a decade and have never once been mugged or attacked on the street, up until this past month, where I experienced two separate incidents.

First incident- I was walking into a Duane Reade and a random man (African American male, in his 30s or 40s) ran up to me on the street, right outside the store, and tried to trip me. I told him to watch it and he proceeded to chase me into the store screaming. An armed police officer was inside the store and once the police officer confronted him he left.

Second incident- I was heading into another retail store and another random man (African American male in early 20s) followed me in. When I suspected I was being followed, I went up to the customer service counter and told them I was being followed. He went right up to the counter alongside me, said nothing to me, and just stood there and stared at me and the customer service reps. We tried talking to him but he wouldn't respond. Was quite frightening since he had a large winter jacket on, hands in his pockets and I couldn't tell if he was armed. Once security came he slowly walked out of the store.

Don't mean to make this sound like a police report, but again I've never experienced anything like these 2 incidents in over a decade and am wondering if anyone else has experienced any uptick in this type of activity particularly in the Tribeca/lower Manhattan area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 02:07 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,731,547 times
Had some trash white guy start screaming at me in the Fulton St. subway station last week because I didn't respond to his request for change (normally I try to be responsive to panhandlers, but the crowd had me basically right up against him and I didn't want to engage at that close a range).

But you probably just had bad luck. Sorry, I know those kinds of situations are very stressful.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:00 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
JW,

What's your basic appearance (M/F, approx height build)? Do you look like a "good" victim? Maybe you need a pepper spray or similar.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:07 PM

283 posts, read 233,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
JW,

What's your basic appearance (M/F, approx height build)? Do you look like a "good" victim? Maybe you need a pepper spray or similar.
Yeah it's impossible to give proper feedback without knowing what you look like and if you've physically changed in any way recently. These losers don't target their victims randomly

Old 02-24-2019, 03:09 PM

Also, considering that Tribeca is one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in NYC (if not the wealthiest?), it's astounding how many creepy, loitering panhandlin' homeless congregate there and how shady certain blocks can feel at night

Old 02-24-2019, 03:32 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,884,678 times
Downtown is home of psychotics. As a 6'0 200lb Black Man I generally don't get accosted or harassed by them but glad I don't have to be around that element any longer. In general the amount of psychopaths on the streets and on transportation continues to rise. Good luck to all of those who have to commute daily.

Old 02-24-2019, 04:03 PM

983 posts, read 931,862 times
A guy followed me into a pizza place and yelled at me to give him five bucks and then seemed to realize what he was doing when everyone was staring at him and he left.

Old 02-24-2019, 04:03 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,156 times
That was you?

J/K. Stuff happens, really only 10yrs living here be happy that’s all you experienced.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:04 PM

84 posts, read 62,088 times
I haven't been accosted since 1992 when one black and one Hispanic man thought it'd be fun to pull a gun on 2 unarmed white boys. They aren't alive today.

As a white alpha male, over 6ft and 200pds, I can pretty much move freely throughout the country.

Anyway, your story cracks me up. During the 80s, us white kids were targeted for death everyday by raving bands of savages across this fine city of ours, so I guess now that we're in our 40s we don't get fazed by some random black dude on the street. Times have a changed.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFanMan View Post
I haven't been accosted since 1992 when one black and one Hispanic man thought it'd be fun to pull a gun on 2 unarmed white boys. They aren't alive today.

As a white alpha male, over 6ft and 200pds, I can pretty much move freely throughout the country.

Anyway, your story cracks me up. During the 80s, us white kids were targeted for death everyday by raving bands of savages across this fine city of ours, so I guess now that we're in our 40s we don't get fazed by some random black dude on the street. Times have a changed.
One thing I absolutely can't stand about the current narrative of black victimhood is the astounding number of people who have been victimized by black people. After controlling for % of population, there's waaaaay more black on white crime than vice versa. Same goes for black on <insert literally any other racial group> crime. A lot of ghetto black people in this city treat Chinese immigrants terribly as well

But also LMAO please do not ever refer yourself as a "white alpha male" ever again. That's just embarrassing. You sound obese. It's never too late to change your diet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City