Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2019, 11:48 AM

36 posts, read 45,936 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are a married couple and have been called for an interview. One of us has been employed in the same job for several years and remains as such. Our income does fall within the guidelines for the unit we are being interviewed for. We started our own small business in 2018. We will report a small loss for the business in 2018 (We were about $5k short of recovering our start-up costs). The business is fully owned by us, there will not be any 1099s for this income. Does anyone know how hpd will calculate our income from the new business when we only have a few months of information?

Any help or information would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 01:15 PM

Just a bit more info - I have read this, but as the business is so new, I'm just unsure if they'll count the income as negative based on our 2018 tax returns (start up costs were not fully recovered w/i the year).

http://www.nychdc.com/content/pdf/Pr...me%20Guide.pdf

Old 03-15-2019, 06:02 AM

5 posts, read 6,350 times
Hi Linda, Did you you have your interview? How was it?
We are alao married couple and my husband have been employed in the same company for 2 years. I took maternity leave since we applied for the house. Also my husband started to make extra money with Lyft, so he is also self-employed. And we have zero information how we should calculate and prove this income. He only has a couple weeks of information ?

Old 03-15-2019, 10:29 AM

1,199 posts, read 723,984 times
If you're a non commingled LLC, neither loss or profits count for your personal income. The absolute worst scenario I can think of is that the loss would count as a hobby loss in which case, you can only deduct as far as your expenses go.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natiika View Post
Hi Linda, Did you you have your interview? How was it?
We are alao married couple and my husband have been employed in the same company for 2 years. I took maternity leave since we applied for the house. Also my husband started to make extra money with Lyft, so he is also self-employed. And we have zero information how we should calculate and prove this income. He only has a couple weeks of information ?
We were asked to submit our 2018 tax returns, K-1s and projected self-employed income for 12 months (because the self-employment was for less than 2 years) along with receipts/documentation for all reported income and expenses.

I hope this helps.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:46 AM

1,199 posts, read 723,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsaymm8 View Post
We were asked to submit our 2018 tax returns, K-1s and projected self-employed income for 12 months (because the self-employment was for less than 2 years) along with receipts/documentation for all reported income and expenses.

I hope this helps.
Just submit your personal K1. don't submit the full income for your LLC or LLP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City