Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 09:54 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times

Advertisements

RageX,
I feel for you but nobody ever said cars are cheap. So now they became $11/day more expensive..or is it $22. You must CHOOSE. For you the answer is likely going to be the Subway.
My husband loved Manhattan/NYC more than I. He died in December and here I am, alone, not really loving living here but I cannot imagine Assburgh, PA being much better alone.
So I must choose too.

Somebody once said "Life is a sh't sandwich and somebody forgot the bread."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 09:55 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I thought congestion pricing WAS going to be limited to certain hours.

I could be wrong.
Until they decide to increase the toll to $15 or extend the $11 toll 24/7....
Rule of thumb when it comes to the government: once they start taxing s*** they never stop.
Our phone taxes were passed back in the 1930s to pay for the Great Depression, we are still paying them on our cell phone bills...

Old 02-28-2019, 09:56 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
I thought congestion pricing WAS going to be limited to certain hours.
Why would they do that, that might actually reduce congestion instead of maximizing revenue

But to your point, the final details have not been released yet, only a statement of support and intent to implement. From statements from Cuomo and DeBozo, the congestion toll will be 24/7 but lower in off peak hours than peak hours.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:57 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,281,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Their inspiration is definitely not Singapore. Singapore highest tax bracket on the rich only goes up to 22%, with middle class paying around 7-10% in tax, and corporate taxes are very very low as well. They also have no minimum wage laws, with GDP average of $90k per capita...
Well as I said, they are not corrupt at least. A beautiful dystopia. I don't need a placw where I could get caned for spitting gum. A big fine, maybe, caning, nope.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
RageX,
I feel for you but nobody ever said cars are cheap. So now they became $11/day more expensive..or is it $22. You must CHOOSE. For you the answer is likely going to be the Subway.
My husband loved Manhattan/NYC more than I. He died in December and here I am, alone, not really loving living here but I cannot imagine Assburgh, PA being much better alone.
So I must choose too.

Somebody once said "Life is a sh't sandwich and somebody forgot the bread."
You win!

Old 02-28-2019, 10:02 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Why would they do that, that might actually reduce congestion instead of maximizing revenue

But to your point, the details have not been released. From statements from Cuomo and DeBozo, the congestion toll will be 24/7 but lower in off peak hours than peak hours.
I saw a presentation given by Sam Schwartz in the fall. Pretty sure he said "peak commuting hours".

Old 02-28-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
Well as I said, they are not corrupt at least. A beautiful dystopia. I don't need a placw where I could get caned for spitting gum. A big fine, maybe, caning, nope.
Yeah but admit it, a part of you would love to see those hard asses rule over NYC for a couple of years to see all the slobs and a-holes around here get slapped into falling in line

Old 02-28-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I saw a presentation given by Sam Schwartz in the fall. Pretty sure he said "peak commuting hours".
Yeah, peak will be expensive - doesn't mean non-peak is free.

Quoting:

"London introduced its congestion fee in 2003 and now charges vehicles 11.5 pounds ($15.23) for entering a 13-mile zone on weekday commutes.

New York’s system will be different, Cuomo said.

“It has variable tolling, so we can encourage people to drive in non-peak hours,” Cuomo said during a radio interview Feb. 26. “We can encourage deliveries to come in at non-peak hours. And we need to do two things: We need to finance the MTA, but we also need to reduce congestion. It doesn’t matter how well the bus is running if the bus is only going 4 miles an hour.”

Old 02-28-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Yeah but admit it, a part of you would love to see those hard asses rule over NYC for a couple of years to see all the slobs and a-holes around here get slapped into falling in line
I ...genuinely have had enough of seeing people get hurt... they gotta really deserve it (like those fat foster moms that beat kids).

...but, yea if their harda-- rules got the trains to run on time, have buildings with parks IN them and, have streets that DON'T look like Cronos himself ate corn and took a squat dump right over midtown... then yea, I might.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:16 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:

I saw a blurb that said 6AM to 6PM. RageX might be able to work that.
But until it is law, we can but guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City