Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 08:01 PM

270 posts, read 145,225 times

Advertisements

How about City Island?

Last edited by Cosenza; 03-01-2019 at 09:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 08:30 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,299,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
I was born in NYC....I am a New Yorker in and out.

I forgot. Silly me.

SI, Throggs Neck, Howard Beach are all under risk of climate change crisis.

By the time the next crisis hit you may be dead by then. You do have a valid point with Howard Beach. My friend lived there during Sandy. His entire apartment (ground floor) was flooded and they lost electricity for a few days. It took two days for us to throw out all of his stuff. His apartment had to be gutted due to the water damage. Same with my in-law's house in Coney Island. We lived in Laurelton at the time. We had a few branches broken. That was it. We didn't even see any water being accumulated on the street where we were. We did not loose electricity.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:11 AM

1,074 posts, read 949,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Ooo....that place looks lovely!

I believe it is also AOC's congressional district......

I am sure that part of her district probably voted for Anthony Pappas, the Republican.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:25 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,439 times
Quote:
If I move back to NYC...(I am from Jersey) I don't think SI is good to live anymore....I am worried about climate change and the water around it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Why do you not believe this would apply to the whole city?

You are correct, Airborneguy. That is, according to all the climate scientists (climatologists) and geophysicists who study and continually monitor this issue, it WOULD impact the whole City of New York (all 5 boroughs) + good-enough portions of Long Island + New Jersey + NY State areas going north up the Hudson River (even potentially as far as Albany, NY), southern Connecticut and potentially even going northward above Long Island Sound up the Connecticut River as far as Hartford, CT (if not beyond even there into the Pioneer Valley/Connecticut River Valley of western massachusetts).

Old 03-02-2019, 05:34 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post
Manhattan south of 96th street excluding the Lower East Side, Park Slope, Cobble Hill, Carroll Gardens, and Long Island City.
How would it possibly be deemed that ANY part(s) of Manhattan has a "suburban look-and-feel"??? Or Long Island City???

Old 03-02-2019, 05:35 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
If I move back to NYC...(I am from Jersey) I don't think SI is good to live anymore....I am worried about climate change and the water around it.

Long as you are north of Hylan, the immediate area off Richmond Terrace, either side of Bay Street and maybe a few other select areas; SI is fine. Or have you forgotten large parts of the Rock are on hills (or mountains if you will), and thus flooding is less of an issue.

Most of my family and friends are on Todt Hill, Lighthouse Hill, Silver Lake and so forth areas. If flood waters or global warming raises water to those levels we *ALL* have more to worry about. Such as in either building an ark or otherwise making piece with God because end of world surely will be near.

As anyone who went to school at a certain time on SI, and or otherwise grew up on the place is taught/learns Todt Hill is 390 feet above sea level, the highest elevation along northeast coast south of Maine. So again, if sea levels rise to that point, you can kiss a lot more than just Staten Island goodbye. This would include large parts of New Jersey as well.

Old 03-02-2019, 06:42 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
How would it possibly be deemed that ANY part(s) of Manhattan has a "suburban look-and-feel"??? Or Long Island City???
Feels like it after all the suburbanites invaded these areas. They've become culturally suburban. Our mayor is a suburbanite, and our new congresswoman is a suburbanite. Suburbanites are taking over NYC.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Feels like it after all the suburbanites invaded these areas. They've become culturally suburban. Our mayor is a suburbanite, and our new congresswoman is a suburbanite. Suburbanites are taking over NYC.
The "suburbanization" of NYC, in particular Manhattan began soon as Rudy G. began cleaning up the place, and has progressed ever since. It just has gained speed over past decade or so as more money began pouring into the city.

Also attitudes changed among (mainly) white, but some other well off demographics. Instead of what had been the normal white flight up until the 1970's or so; these households aren't leaving the city and moving to the suburbs when they marry and have children. Rather for a host of reasons prefer to live in the city (Manhattan, certain parts of Brooklyn). But they aren't abandoning all of their suburban lifestyle demands.

This is being played out in a number of ways. Increase in dogs, children, motor vehicles; all things we've seen an increase in over past decade or so. People who are moving out are the ones usually being priced out of finding a two, three or more bedroom they can afford.

When I first moved onto UES finding parking wasn't a problem. Now you can forget about it; especially if you want something good for next day's ASP rules. Same is true in many other areas such as UWS, Chelsea, West Village, Greenwich Village.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:55 PM

Forgot to add one main push by many couples who seek to remain in city after marriage is they are the children, or grandchildren of those of "white flight" days.

That is they remember their fathers or grandfathers leaving their lives on the 7:21 from Greenwich (or whatever commuter train) each morning, and returning on the 5:40 that night or later. This meant such fathers were often all but absent from their children's lives for much of the day during a workweek. Often they departed before kids woke up each morning and didn't return until after they were in bed.

For such a housewife though it seemed like heaven they were imprisoned in the suburbs as well. They never exactly knew where their husbands were, what they were doing. There would be telephone calls late in afternoon saying a "meeting" or whatever would cause the husband to miss his train. This meant dinner would be late so just the wife and kids ate alone, and again the husband came home long after they were in bed.

Or the husband simply said he was going to stay in town for the light (at his club or maybe they had a place in town as well), which to any wife with an ounce of sense after awhile raised suspicions. They didn't get the material for film "The Apartment" or "Mad Men" out of thin air you know.

Today's affluent couples prefer to live in town so husbands don't have to commute. They can be home for dinner, and other excuses also vanish.

It is the moving back into NYC, in particular Manhattan and parts of Brooklyn that is driving the return to brownstone, townhouse or even mansion living. People are buying up properties once converted into apartments and turning them back into private homes.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:11 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times
Quote:
They lack diversity, urban culture, and variation in cost of goods. To me they are suburban.
The suburbs aren't a monolith, in terms of local examples that could mean anything from Hempstead to Chappaqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
The "suburbanization" of NYC, in particular Manhattan began soon as Rudy G. began cleaning up the place, and has progressed ever since. It just has gained speed over past decade or so as more money began pouring into the city.

Also attitudes changed among (mainly) white, but some other well off demographics. Instead of what had been the normal white flight up until the 1970's or so; these households aren't leaving the city and moving to the suburbs when they marry and have children. Rather for a host of reasons prefer to live in the city (Manhattan, certain parts of Brooklyn). But they aren't abandoning all of their suburban lifestyle demands.

This is being played out in a number of ways. Increase in dogs, children, motor vehicles; all things we've seen an increase in over past decade or so. People who are moving out are the ones usually being priced out of finding a two, three or more bedroom they can afford.

When I first moved onto UES finding parking wasn't a problem. Now you can forget about it; especially if you want something good for next day's ASP rules. Same is true in many other areas such as UWS, Chelsea, West Village, Greenwich Village.
I thought well off people had less kids; not more. And new construction these days is way less likely to have driveways/garages than between the 50s and 90s. Gentrifiers tend to embrace not driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City