Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 05:30 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,736,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Yeah a lot of Mexicans have ideas of taking back parts of the Southwest for Mexico. I don't think this could be said of any immigrant group to the city.
Haha. As a Mexican-American having lived in predominantly Latino neighborhoods my whole life, Ive yet to meet someone who takes that reconquista stuff seriously. I think its an idealogy that a very small group has, and anti-immigrants love to use to support their stances. Basically to scare people to garner support in their crusade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 06:17 PM

757 posts, read 3,354,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Could it be because New York is already accepted as being a place that is very diverse?
I think whatever tension there is here is probaby pretty diffuse. So many of us are the children and grandchildren of immigrants who came to New York from a distant land and heard stories about their struggles. This is because New York was for many generations the primary entrypoint into the country. Air travel has largely changed that (except for immigration from or through Canada, Mexico and, to a lesser degree, Cuba).

From the arrival of the first Europeans in the 17th century, this country's ethnic demographics have always been in flux. I don't see what people are so afraid of. And always, some see the newest group as a threat to the status quo.

In an ideal world, I would hope that crossing a national border would be about equivalent to crossing between states -- where there is no toll . But that ain't gonna happen in my lifetime.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbro View Post
I think whatever tension there is here is probaby pretty diffuse. So many of us are the children and grandchildren of immigrants who came to New York from a distant land and heard stories about their struggles. This is because New York was for many generations the primary entrypoint into the country. Air travel has largely changed that (except for immigration from or through Canada, Mexico and, to a lesser degree, Cuba).

From the arrival of the first Europeans in the 17th century, this country's ethnic demographics have always been in flux. I don't see what people are so afraid of. And always, some see the newest group as a threat to the status quo.

In an ideal world, I would hope that crossing a national border would be about equivalent to crossing between states -- where there is no toll . But that ain't gonna happen in my lifetime.
Thats exactly my point. Its just the latest wave of immigration that has been going on for hundred of years. I can't believe people are as ignorant to think the immigrants goal is to take over a part of the country.

I don't necessarily think the border should be completely open though. I just think people need to look at these people as humans, and hardworkers instead of pillaging invaders.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:43 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,309,224 times
NYC has always been a land of immigrants but that does not mean NYers are totally excepting of the next wave of immigrants. How do you think the suburbs were able to explode like that.

There have been hate crimes here.

Race is very important in the NYC metro

At the very moment however we have the immigrants who are hating on the Citizens ie yuppies, hipsters, transplants from Midwest or South, for moving into the poor immigrants nabes and jacking up rents

Old 04-10-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
NYC has always been a land of immigrants but that does not mean NYers are totally excepting of the next wave of immigrants. How do you think the suburbs were able to explode like that.

There have been hate crimes here.

Race is very important in the NYC metro

At the very moment however we have the immigrants who are hating on the Citizens ie yuppies, hipsters, transplants from Midwest or South, for moving into the poor immigrants nabes and jacking up rents
I do think it is a bad situation for the poor who are being priced out by the hipsters in places in LA like Echo Park, Los Feliz, etc.

Its like, when you get priced out from the poor neighborhood, where do you go to from there?

I feel like Im in a weird position on that one. While my grandparents were the immigrants, once I finish college, I might become the "yuppie" trying to move into the newly gentrified neighborhood.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:26 PM

415 posts, read 1,390,988 times
Default n

You don't have it as much here. I lived in LA for 2 years in the mid 90s and out there a lot of the illegals are involved with street gangs. Here we have that but nothing like LA. The gang problem out there is horrible and many of them are illegals. If I still lived there I'd be pissed as hell about it as well. Where I live here in the city there are a lot of polish illegal aliens in my nab. But they don't cause any trouble and you don't see them out on the street getting drunk acting stupid so as far as illegal aliens go, they are alright. But they still should be deported like anyone else who breaks the law to come here .

Old 04-10-2008, 10:33 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,334,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheGtrain View Post
You don't have it as much here. I lived in LA for 2 years in the mid 90s and out there a lot of the illegals are involved with street gangs. Here we have that but nothing like LA. The gang problem out there is horrible and many of them are illegals. If I still lived there I'd be pissed as hell about it as well. Where I live here in the city there are a lot of polish illegal aliens in my nab. But they don't cause any trouble and you don't see them out on the street getting drunk acting stupid so as far as illegal aliens go, they are alright. But they still should be deported like anyone else who breaks the law to come here .
Woah they don't go around drunk? Wouldn't have suspected that.

Wait, so I'm confused. You're living in Greenpoint, and yet you think random Poll*cks should be deported for being here illegally? Have you expressed any of these views to your neighbors?

Old 04-13-2008, 01:20 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,983,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Are people in California upset over ALL immigration or just illegal immigration?

I suspect because of proximity to the Mexican border that the percentage of illegal immigrants is much higher than in NY, but I've never seen any statistics. just a guess.
TRUST ME: MANY towns and cities in California are outright racist toward the Mexicans, Hispanics in general, and Blacks. The HEAD OF THE ARYAN NATION, aka, a white supremacist group, resides in Fallbrook, which is a small town in North San Diego County. And the same issue is prevalent in ORANGE COUNTY.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,125 times
Illegal immigrants in NY and probably everywhere keep to themselves---they want to stay under the radar.
I live in a very white neighborhood in Brooklyn and lets be honest here, people, my neighbors look askance (yes, in the 21st century) when gay couples move in or Jewish families move in or educated professionals move in.
In fact, even tho I live on a street with at least 500 residents living in the multifamily houses here, when a black friend of mine arrived one day, parked his car and began walking towards my building a white resident asked him if he'd be pulling out soon----the man wanted his parking space and seemed to know that he didn't live here. Blacks don't live on this street!

NYC is made up of scores of segregated neighborhoods. If you're white you probably live in a white neigborhood and the only immigrants you see are the guys your (white) contractor hires, or your immigrants baby-sitter, or your Australian or British or Irish or Canadian neighbors (oh yes, or your house cleaner, but you can always hire a "european" housecleaner).

My neighbors get nervous when they see too many Jewish families or gay families or educated professional families moving in.

Maybe we should all try to look at the world thru someone else's perspective for a change.
The immigrants of color who are attracted to white neighborhoods are looking for quality schools and more services.
They're not looking to "take back NY" or any other place. They want to fit in and be an assimilated American just like the rest of us (or our grandparents, or great grandparents, or great-great grandparents).

Isn't this a country of immigrants, folks?
Did you forget where your own peeps come from?

Old 04-13-2008, 03:21 PM

113 posts, read 382,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
I can't believe people are as ignorant to think the immigrants goal is to take over a part of the country.

Who said anything about taking over? One need not have designs on "taking over" and still be subversive and thus my point stands. Mexicans, unlike any other immigrant group in America; the Irish, unlike anyother immigrant group in Britain and the Palestinians, unlike any other ethnic group in Jordan have exhibited bess less than grateful in their host nations!

Last edited by Viralmd; 04-13-2008 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: Offensive material
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City