Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 02:10 PM

198 posts, read 119,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Im a NYC driver and am one of those that will hit 80MPH or even 100MPH when driving when the traffic allows. Sometimes even when im going 80 in the left lane I have cars passing me in the right lane with ease and makes me think im going slow.
The speed limit in NYC is 50mph. I see and hear people like you driving in Queens, and you can't imagine the things I wish would happen to drivers who endanger lives and cause so much noise and disruption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 03:32 PM

1,486 posts, read 988,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riact View Post
The speed limit in NYC is 50mph. I see and hear people like you driving in Queens, and you can't imagine the things I wish would happen to drivers who endanger lives and cause so much noise and disruption.
Most NYC drivers drive as fast as the traffic allows. If a driver wants to go the speed limit on the highways then they need to stay out of the left lane to allow others to pass. Most accidents are caused buy drivers zig zagging in and out of traffic to get ahead of the slow drivers

Old 03-03-2019, 06:35 PM

432 posts, read 551,674 times
All the slow drivers are either Uber or they’re using Waze or texting. One way or another it’s all caused my distracted driving. People just cannot function without their phones every second of their lives.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:54 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,597,722 times
Today while indicating I was going right on the Bruckner and starting to go into the right lane, a car behind me actually occupied the lane I was in to pass me. What an idiot ! He kept driving and weaving thru traffic. What angers me is that last week I get a ticket, while driving 20mph, because a cop claimed I did not indicate a left turn, when I did. What bothers me is that we all see cars doing what the OP observes daily, running red lights, and operating vehicles madly. However, when I see law enforcement they only pull vehicles over in concerted efforts to catch violators at speed traps, at locations designed to catch motorists for tickets.

Old 03-03-2019, 11:27 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Im a NYC driver and am one of those that will hit 80MPH or even 100MPH when driving when the traffic allows. Sometimes even when im going 80 in the left lane I have cars passing me in the right lane with ease and makes me think im going slow.
The thing I hate most is when im in the left lane and its going so slow that those in the right lane is passing me. I switch to the right lane and surely enough once I start passing all the cars in the left lane you see this huge open road infront of a slow driver at the beginning of the left lane holding up all the traffic going the speed limit and not 1MPH over.

If most drivers follow the rules of "stay right except when passing" where would be less traffic to deal with. Every time I go up to Nyack I run into these old AARP folks on the Deegan driving old people luxury cars like Jaguars going slower than slow holding up all the traffic behind them and do not know how to get the hell out of the left lane to let people pass.

Some NYC drivers are light weights. *LOL*

Try being on the NJT or Garden State doing 65 or 70 (if not higher) (ok well yeah, speeding), and others aren't only passing you, but flip you off as they go by.

Thing is this just isn't a once off; but nearly an all the time occurrence where traffic allows.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:32 AM

65 posts, read 36,967 times
I commute on the BQE pretty much every day and I'll agree with you about the huge speed differences being a problem, but I'm not seeing a huge amount of people speeding, rather a lot of people driving absurdly slow for no goddamn reason at all. At night when average traffic speed is 50mph, you're almost guaranteed to come across someone doing 35mph (or slower!) in the left lane with nothing in front of them for miles. Usually it's a black TLC cab/Uber and I wonder WTF is going through their minds (likely nothing) when they do this. Everyone now has to go around them, just to go the f**king speed limit. Add people merging into the highway from the right and you have a recipe for disaster. Sure you do get people speeding and driving like D-bags now and then but the above I see almost every day.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:28 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
lot of scared drivers out there. There's always a small % of bad drivers, and here there are so many cars in NYC that the % means big numbers. The really really bad ones don't stay on the road for long around here though, they crash out early. In smaller areas where they can get away with it you have to deal with em when you drive down South or West

Old 03-04-2019, 10:48 AM

5,515 posts, read 7,106,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagerNYC View Post
People over 70 should be tested every 2 years or so in order to keep their license, I've seen so many accidents caused by elderly drivers. If they fail the test, they can't drive anymore. Just my opinion.
And the minimum age to get a drivers license should be 35 as the most aggressive drivers are below that age.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:01 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
And the minimum age to get a drivers license should be 35 as the most aggressive drivers are below that age.
Ok Grandpa, hey not to go off topic but I think Judge Judy is on TV better get back to it

Old 03-04-2019, 12:19 PM

1,420 posts, read 724,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I don't think you can really blame transplants. Many of them don't drive and where they are coming from, they have higher speed limits and they are probably used to driving.

The problem is the limits are set low---what is it, 40 MPH on the FDR and BQE? It's 50 on the Belt.

I got a pretty bad speeding ticket here.

BTW---I used to drive home from LI in the mornings on the weekend back toward Brooklyn. Almost EVERYONE is flying on the Belt---70+ MPH minimum---and it's beautiful. No issues, people understand the concept of passing, etc.
Most highways in major cities in America have speed limits at most 55mph. I think Texas is the only state where the cities have higher limits.

80-100mph is crazy. When I lived in NYC I use to go 60mph on the highways, maybe 65 at most but that's pushing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City