Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 12:37 PM

1,486 posts, read 989,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
And the minimum age to get a drivers license should be 35 as the most aggressive drivers are below that age.
Um age 35 without a licence??

Whose going to deliver your packages, pizzas, grubhub, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 07:07 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda718 View Post
80-100mph is crazy. When I lived in NYC I use to go 60mph on the highways, maybe 65 at most but that's pushing it.
Get the right car, 80-100mph is nothing. Not too many places in NYC you can do it though, maybe the LIE at 2am Monday morning.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:35 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Get the right car, 80-100mph is nothing. Not too many places in NYC you can do it though, maybe the LIE at 2am Monday morning.

True, true.

With many newer rides today you can easily hit 80mph without even noticing; it is only when you glance at meter that it registers.

Some like to use cruise control to keep them at a stead speed. This is fine if you understand how and when to use the system.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:52 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
True, true.

With many newer rides today you can easily hit 80mph without even noticing; it is only when you glance at meter that it registers.

Some like to use cruise control to keep them at a stead speed. This is fine if you understand how and when to use the system.

Been there. I borrowed my dad's car back when I had to drive to work for a few days while mine was in the shop and I was driving home on the Belt on one of those beautiful weekend mornings and I was doing 80 MPH without realizing it. I barely felt like I was moving!

It's very easy to hit 80 going upstate---speed limit is 65, so everyone is around 75---the next thing you know, oops you're at 90. Not me, of course.

Old 03-05-2019, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Been there. I borrowed my dad's car back when I had to drive to work for a few days while mine was in the shop and I was driving home on the Belt on one of those beautiful weekend mornings and I was doing 80 MPH without realizing it. I barely felt like I was moving!

It's very easy to hit 80 going upstate---speed limit is 65, so everyone is around 75---the next thing you know, oops you're at 90. Not me, of course.
This is true. Once you pass Exit 7 on the Deegan you can easily hit 70 then once you pass Exit 13 and enter Yonkers, traffic opens up. That straightaway once you pass Cross County Mall, you can easily hit 110 until you reach the toll booth without realizing it because all the other cars around you are going 80 to 90

Old 03-05-2019, 09:03 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
This is true. Once you pass Exit 7 on the Deegan you can easily hit 70 then once you pass Exit 13 and enter Yonkers, traffic opens up. That straightaway once you pass Cross County Mall, you can easily hit 110 until you reach the toll booth without realizing it because all the other cars around you are going 80 to 90
You're stupid if you're hitting 90, let alone 110

Old 03-05-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
You're stupid if you're hitting 90, let alone 110
Its not about being stupid its that when you are on the highway and all other cars around you are going so fast it makes you think you are going slow. Its then you begin to try to keep up with the other cars without noticing how fast you are actually going.

How often do drivers actually look down at the speedometer to see how fast they are going? Most drivers when driving are looking at all the other cars around them while staying in their lane as anything else is basically a distraction.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:39 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Its not about being stupid its that when you are on the highway and all other cars around you are going so fast it makes you think you are going slow. Its then you begin to try to keep up with the other cars without noticing how fast you are actually going.

How often do drivers actually look down at the speedometer to see how fast they are going? Most drivers when driving are looking at all the other cars around them while staying in their lane as anything else is basically a distraction.
No - I go 75-76-77 on open road and cars that pass me safely are going 80-85 tops. When you get to 90 in a metro area you're driving stupid, and 110 you should and you will get your car impounded and have to see the judge. I've hit 90 a few times upstate but I'm not ever going to go over that there is no good reason

Old 03-06-2019, 06:06 PM

1,422 posts, read 725,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
My car can easily go 80+, I do it all the time here in PA. It's not worth getting a speeding ticket in NYC, and potentially raising an already very high insurance rate.

I drove in NYC for 3 and a half years, and thankfully never got a ticket for speeding, not even after DeBlasio launched his Vehicle Zero initiative. I got a few parking tickets though.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:42 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
The speed difference problem shows up almost daily especially near Toll exits and bridges. You see a large portion of Uber cars hogging up the lanes merging into a bridge but there's always one BMW or some kind of SUV speed through and dicing through tight traffic just to get around then zooms off by 20-30mph+ faster than the traffic is moving.

I was stuck on the Deegan behind bunch of Uber cars doing 35-40mph, then I spot a merge lane and I sped around and mashed to 60+ just to jump in front of traffic. I was then the only car on the lanes and the traffic behind me was over a football field away. The traffic was so far behind me and the traffic ahead of me was 200-300ft away.

These are the major congestion problems on the highways in NYC is stubborn traffic made of Uber, old entitled drivers, and out of towners that drive below speed limit all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City