Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 03:35 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
If Bezos really cared about the locals, he would've initiated with them from the beginning. Bezos saw the writing on the wall from leftist politicians who were itching for a fight to demand more and more from this job creator.

I hope that FL is able to land a bunch of these jobs. I will always have a special place in my heart for NYC, but people are going to have to experience the pain and folly of their support for the far left before things can start to change. And if folks don't ever get the picture, then I say let other, more welcoming parts of the country have these businesses.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 06:37 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,477,629 times
just go to newark

Old 03-03-2019, 07:16 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I think it would be a real wake up call if one of the big banks / brokerages actually moved their HQ and most of their NYC operations to FL. I know JP Morgan Chase has significant operations down there already. I could see Dimon doing something like that. It would send a message to loony left politicritters who run the city at the moment that their cash cows can moooooove on.
Concern about taxes are for the little people. No big banks is moving it’s headquarters out of a world financial capital to what is the boondocks for them.

Old 03-03-2019, 07:20 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
Amazon just wants a city that will roll over and provide whatever deals it wants without asking Amazon to be part of the conversation on housing, transportation, and infrastructure. There was a path to bringing Amazon to NYC without trying to circumvent the local community as the Gov/Mayor attempted.
If that really was their attitude, then why not just set up shop in Atlanta or Dallas and be done with it? Amazon saw that they'd be blamed/begged for everything just like they are in Seattle and said "No thanks". Amazon is liberal but not stupid, they can go somewhere like Austin where they'd pay no taxes and massively contribute to climate change since anywhere in the South is sprawl-ville. The "conversation" that needs to be had is that NYC's "liberalism" is built off the backs of Wall St and Corporate profits and it's easy to virtue signal when your raking in money hand over fist.

Old 03-03-2019, 07:25 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,599,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Concern about taxes are for the little people. No big banks is moving it’s headquarters out of a world financial capital to what is the boondocks for them.
What difference would it really make? Most business is done over the phone/internet, I don't see why it would hurt them to move to the "boondocks".

Old 03-03-2019, 07:42 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
Actually, the headquarters of biggest banks in the country are pretty well scattered. NYC, San Francisco, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Charlotte, McLean Va, etc.. Especially in the age of ubiquitous instant communication, there's no reason they need to have their HQ in any particular place.

Old 03-03-2019, 07:44 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,599,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Actually, the headquarters of biggest banks in the country are pretty well scattered. NYC, San Francisco, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Charlotte, McLean Va, etc.. Especially in the age of ubiquitous instant communication, there's no reason they need to have their HQ in any particular place.
Agreed. Why would a headquarters need to be in New York?

Old 03-03-2019, 08:15 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
I doubt Amazon needed those 25K jobs since they are not even looking for a replacement for NYC.

If Amazon really wanted to be in NYC then Jeff Bezos as the head of the company should have held some sort of meeting with LIC residents, NYC Mayor and NY Governor. Bezos had that affair scandal with that ugly broad and needed something take up media attention. Washington Post broke the story about Amazon potentially pulling out, the whole Jussie Smollett story and voila la no more Jeff Bezos scandal affair story. (Bezos got lucky with Jussie)

Old 03-03-2019, 08:29 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,833,811 times
Miami would be perfect for Amazon. There aren’t local activists like in NYC. A few old world corrupt politicians to pay off, but that’s peanuts. Miami literally grows by the day, and Amazon would never be shaken down like it would be in NYC - where tens of billions of dollars in infrastructure funds will soon be needed. Amazon would be worshipped here and could be viewed as the epicenter of one of America’s fastest growing and most unique cities.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:32 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,598,178 times
Paid vacations, paid sick leave, 40 hour work weeks, paid overtime, right to collectively bargain, paid overtime. These are the hard won benefits brought to you buy progressives. Just want to remind people here that is what leftists as they are called have gotten us. These are not eternal rights. How many people want to give up these benefits ? These large corporations want to eliminate them if they can. Knowing that locacalites are desperate for jobs they pit Cities against City. Ideologues on the right argue that if you want jobs you have to not contest the desires of these companies and the race to the bottom continues for the American worker. I would want Amazon to come. Still expect them to
But if companies move to Florida it is because they want to cut costs at the tax payers and workers expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City