Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 06:40 PM

454 posts, read 449,452 times

Advertisements

I have a laptop that has about 8gb ram. Want to increase it to 16gb ram and find that i can buy the ram online on amazon. I do not want to open the laptop myself and install it and would like to go to a place where they open my computer and take out the old ram and put in the new one. Im pretty certain this is very quick as i seen this done before. Does anyone know what locations in nyc has this where the cost is not a lot? There is one place where i would do things like this such as have them open my laptop and replace the battery and things like that and they cost like 30 dollars or so. But that locati

I also do not want to drop off my laptop at a location and pick it up later as i have some personal things in my laptop there etc. Does anyone have any recommendations for a laptop place where they basically do it on the spot? Thus take out my old ram and put in the new one and thats all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 06:53 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,091,245 times
It's pretty simple to install RAM. Why are you against it?

I guess Geek Squad at Best Buy.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:03 PM

Because i don't want to try opening it up myself and risk damaging my laptop.

Anyone else? Want to know if specific places where they do this where you don't have to drop it off and pick it up later. As this would take probably no more than a few minutes.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:28 PM

15,867 posts, read 14,495,108 times
I see any number of storefronts that offer laptop / cellphone repair. What your talking about is so simple, any of them could do it.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:30 PM

3,738 posts, read 3,473,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjustin2 View Post
I have a laptop that has about 8gb ram. Want to increase it to 16gb ram and find that i can buy the ram online on amazon. I do not want to open the laptop myself and install it and would like to go to a place where they open my computer and take out the old ram and put in the new one. Im pretty certain this is very quick as i seen this done before. Does anyone know what locations in nyc has this where the cost is not a lot? There is one place where i would do things like this such as have them open my laptop and replace the battery and things like that and they cost like 30 dollars or so. But that locati

I also do not want to drop off my laptop at a location and pick it up later as i have some personal things in my laptop there etc. Does anyone have any recommendations for a laptop place where they basically do it on the spot? Thus take out my old ram and put in the new one and thats all?
if you lookup your model laptop on youtube with the words "RAM Upgrade" I'm sure you will find a step by step instructional video.

Follow it slowly and save yourself some money.

I can do these with my eyes closed, so can you!

Old 03-15-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Because i don't want to try opening it up myself and risk damaging my laptop.

Anyone else? Want to know if specific places where they do this where you don't have to drop it off and pick it up later. As this would take probably no more than a few minutes.
Are you too scared of using yelp/ google and finding a location yourself??

Old 03-15-2019, 08:31 PM

1,486 posts, read 990,344 times
Quote:

Jump on youtube and and im sure you will find a video of how to do it.
There are also ifixit breakdowns of basically everything.

Most stores will charge you a premium to do it as soon as you drop it off.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:35 PM

I seen the video for my laptop. This is not that simple as the laptop model i have for it, it isn't that easy.

I did use yelp to check but the issue is almost all places want you to drop it off and pick it up later. The one place where i use to go to, that person does not do it anymore.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:44 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,211,288 times
Quote:
I seen the video for my laptop. This is not that simple as the laptop model i have for it, it isn't that easy.

I did use yelp to check but the issue is almost all places want you to drop it off and pick it up later. The one place where i use to go to, that person does not do it anymore.
what is your laptop model?

Old 03-15-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:

You stated it is not that easy so what is your problem with dropping it off and picking up later??

How about you call those places and tell them your requirement and hear what they say??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City