Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 04:00 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,425,876 times

Advertisements

I got a ticket, actually two since it was overnight, for parking on E92 between 3rd and 2nd.
They claim it is a no parking zone, even though cars are parked there all the time and there is no sign stating no parking.

The spot I parked on is between two driveways, not in front.
I had my hearing, presented my pictures, but the judge claimed they were unclear.
On one of my tickets as well, it incorrectly listed the color of my car, I thought the case should be thrown out for that alone but the judge disagreed.

I spoke to a meter maid who told me I should call 311.
I just was wondering if anybody else had this issue and what I should do at this point/who could help.

Should I ignore?
Appeal and pay?
Not pay and appeal?
Call 311?
Any 3rd party that could help?

I have pictures below...you can see the no parking sign is to the left of the driveway entrance, the curb to the right has no signs stating no parking!
Attached Thumbnails
Parking Ticket Appeal Help-screen-shot-2019-03-03-6.00.04   Parking Ticket Appeal Help-screen-shot-2019-03-03-6.00.22  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 04:10 PM

31,655 posts, read 26,548,657 times
Again with this?

If you ignore the ticket penalties and fines will continue to accrue. Sooner or later you'll either be hit with some sort of legal action or come out to find your ride slapped with a big ole boot.

You *can* appeal the judge's decision. Don't know if filing an appeal stops the clock on fines and or further action.

Three-one-one isn't going to be of any help other than directing you on how to appeal. More so since you've already gone downtown and had a hearing to dispute the ticket.

There are various attorneys/services that claim ability to reduce penalties and or otherwise fight parking tickets. But you have to weigh their costs versus just paying the thing and getting it over with.

On another note IIRC when you first arrived on these forums myself and others warned you about the perils of having a ride in Manhattan. Even the most careful car owner can expect to receive at least one or two parking tickets per year. More so or especially if they rely upon street parking versus garage.

Last edited by BugsyPal; 03-03-2019 at 04:21 PM..

Old 03-03-2019, 04:19 PM

428 posts, read 495,123 times
The no parking sign is to the left of the driveway but the arrow is pointing to the right. Am I reading that right?

Last edited by Dreamernyc; 03-03-2019 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: Missing words

Old 03-03-2019, 04:19 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,036,799 times
I’m also having deja vu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Right, but if the website says there are a bunch of restrictions on that street (and it does say that; I used the locator to look up that block) then obviously it's not safe to park, signs or no signs.

Do you really want to park there, get a ticket and then have to fight it with photographs of streets with no signs? Even if you are able to get the ticket dismissed, isn't that a huge waste of time?

That's my opinion, anyway.

Old 03-03-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamernyc View Post
The no parking sign is to the left of the driveway but the arrow is pointing to the right. Am I reading that right?
Block is Ruppert Towers on 92nd street side.

About half the block (from the "No Parking Sign" going west to Third is just that; no parking anytime.

Other portion (east of sign going towards Second) is regular ASP for south side streets on UES (Tuesdays and Fridays).

Old 03-03-2019, 04:40 PM

First of all what exactly is the violation listed on tickets? ASP violation or parking in a No Parking Zone?

You can Google 240 East 92nd and clearly see from street map/image that while yes there is that narrow spot between two driveways, there is also a sign post.

West of said sign is "No Parking", and to east is ASP regulations. Those sort of spots are dangerous as eff to park in because often yes, you will get tickets because of how an individual PEA or NYPD interprets the sign in relation to where your ride is parked.

I was always taught and have believed since much depends upon where your bumpers and or major portion of ride are in relation to sign.

If you had parked on east side of driveway (other side of that sign) *and* weren't in violation of ASP rules, then you'd be in the clear. OTOH everything west of that sign is obviously no parking anytime.

Issue for you and likely what judge looked at is that your ride probably took up the entire small space between the two driveways. Thus in theory your rear bumper was in the "no parking" area, while the front portion was in ASP territory.

Personally I don't like to remain parked in those sort of spots for very long. I'll take it if only thing can find, but usually will come back out and try to find something else later, especially overnight. If I do remain overnight make sure to get up early before PEA start their ASP sweeps to see if anything else has opened up.

Old 03-03-2019, 04:40 PM

3,678 posts, read 3,409,111 times
I clearly see a no parking sign starting to the left of that driveway pointing right to the parking spaces. No parking is all the way to the right until the next sign.

What am I missing?

Other people don't too is no excuse.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:54 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,550,857 times
I strongly suggest you to simply ignore the ticket.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
I strongly suggest you to simply ignore the ticket.

Yeah that will work out swell. Guy has *two* unpaid parking tickets on his record; you think NYC is just going to forget about the whole matter? Think again pal.

Those tickets will continue to rack up interest and fees until paid. Sooner or later city will either sell them off to collections, or simply seek enforcement by towing or booting said vehicle. At that time he will have to fork over *all* sums owed including all interest and fees before getting his ride back.

https://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-resources/s...cement-actions

This may take a year or years, but never the less parking tickets just don't go away.

There is also fact if ever pulled over and one's license and or plates are run through system those old tickets will appear.

Considering OP seems to rack up tickets (so far) with regularity it won't be long before he is again slapped with another. Once that happens and he tries to dispute or whatever the record of unpaid tickets will come up again.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:35 PM

1,486 posts, read 976,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
I got a ticket, actually two since it was overnight, for parking on E92 between 3rd and 2nd.
They claim it is a no parking zone, even though cars are parked there all the time and there is no sign stating no parking.

The spot I parked on is between two driveways, not in front.
I had my hearing, presented my pictures, but the judge claimed they were unclear.
On one of my tickets as well, it incorrectly listed the color of my car, I thought the case should be thrown out for that alone but the judge disagreed.

I spoke to a meter maid who told me I should call 311.
I just was wondering if anybody else had this issue and what I should do at this point/who could help.

Should I ignore?
Appeal and pay?
Not pay and appeal?
Call 311?
Any 3rd party that could help?

I have pictures below...you can see the no parking sign is to the left of the driveway entrance, the curb to the right has no signs stating no parking!
Your pictures are clear. You are not allowed to park on the right side of that pole until you encounter another pole with another sign saying you are allowed to park. You are allowed to park on the left side of that pole except for the dates and times listed.

So if you parked after that pole then you rightfully received a ticket
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: