Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 11:21 AM

2,439 posts, read 1,216,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Stop building/expanding overpriced subway lines and stop spending billions of dollars to build single subway stations (think Fulton Street). Also, make MTA employees contribute more to their retirement plans.

Fulton Street was criminal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 11:47 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
As was the PATH station, thank you New Jersey drivers for your $15 tolls

Old 03-05-2019, 11:51 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
The whole contracting/oversight process at MTA needs to be reformed. These new stations would have to be gold plated considering how much money is being spend on them. Literally, the most expensive cost per mile in the world.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:03 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
As was the PATH station, thank you New Jersey drivers for your $15 tolls
Of course, you left out the part where the majority of the funding for the WTC PATH Hub came from the FTA.

And you left out the part where people went screaming to their politicians that they wanted the Memorial--the roof of the PATH station with six stories beneath it--open for the tenth anniversary of 9/11, which meant that about three thousand contract drawings had to be scrapped and redone to figure out how to make it a top-down construction--and this might come as a giant shock, but the design firm wasn't gonna do it for FREE.

Normally, the roof goes on a structure last, folks, but in this case the politicians that you all so adore had to look good on 9/11/11 to earn your praise and worship, so the engineers came up with a way to finish the Memorial and make it look good and never mind all the temporary work and jerryrigging below grade that the public couldn't see anyway that later had to be torn out and redone for the permanent structure.

But, people just look at the Calatrava turkey carcass and think that's what cost $4 billion.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:12 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,612,908 times
For some perspective the PATH turkey Tony Stark monster station costs as much as one of those US Navy stealth destroyers. I'm not sure which is more overpriced and wasteful.

Old 03-05-2019, 03:32 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohuskies View Post
for some perspective the path turkey tony stark monster station costs as much as one of those us navy stealth destroyers. I'm not sure which is more overpriced and wasteful.
lol!:d

Old 03-05-2019, 03:45 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,750,269 times
Remove turn styles and replace them with the spinning doors to stop hopping. Fix the alarms on the emergency exits and add a camera to each. Fine those who go through them to sneak in. Raise swipes to $5. Add more under covers. Replace the old switch system.

Old 03-05-2019, 05:44 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,098 times
Spinning doors is a great idea. We should have a fare evader alarm signal. Capture their photo as soon as they go through and blast it on the tv all over the subway stations. Place them on a city website/ Facebook wall of shame too! NYPD has facial recognition cameras that can identify you. They may not have them rolled out everywhere but they have them. Put them to use. Send bills to people. Deny driver's licenses/social services/refund checks until you pay what is due.

This place needs some law and order. And I better not hear none of this crap about we are picking on or discriminating against anyone! My poor, immigrant, black self have always paid. Two things were always a priority. My rent payment (back then) and my metro card to get to work. No excuses.

I love the idea of requiring everyone to publicly declare ever penny spent in the MTA. It should not be hard to build a website to track expenses. Items/spending must be itemized prior to release of funds.

Old 03-05-2019, 06:03 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
One easy way to cut down on fare beating would be to lower the fare.

I had a friend with a wild idea of having the MTA be free, believing that it wouid work out with all the money they'd save on accounting, printing cards/transfers, etc. I thought this was absurd - until I saw some transit economist say the same thing.

Well, one thing I'd do is stop all the money wasted on gadgetry.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:44 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
Yes, it was. And it still makes me sick to my stomach to think of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City