Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 10:01 PM

454 posts, read 448,838 times

Advertisements

I will be flying back to the US. I usually fly to JFK and use one of those car services to brooklyn which cost about 35 dollars. I have did the airtrain and then the subway before but don't want to do this because of my luggage.

I notice that flights that go to Laguardia and Newark Airport are cheaper than JFK. How much more does flying to Laguardia or Newark Airport cost more in terms of a car service or cab to brooklyn compaed to JFK? I believe you could take a bus from Laguardia airport and then the subway right? But when you are in newark airport, i believe there is a train service where it goes directly to penn station? Or which station is that?

Has anyone went from newark airport to brooklyn and can give their experiences? How much is the cost if you use cab vs car service vs public transportation? I believe with airtrain and subway, it cost like 12 dollars or so? But what about from laguardia and newark airport?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 10:19 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
From EWR you can take the internal monorail to the NJ Transit Station, where you catch a train to NY Penn. The monorail doesn't cost anything, and the NJ Transit train is $13. Then you have to get to Brooklyn.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:45 PM

Okay so its pretty simple to get to Penn Station this way correct? So lot of people who fly to Newark does this to get to NY? I ask this because when i first took the airtrain a while back to jfk, it was confusing.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:12 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjustin2 View Post
Okay so its pretty simple to get to Penn Station this way correct? So lot of people who fly to Newark does this to get to NY? I ask this because when i first took the airtrain a while back to jfk, it was confusing.
Yes, it’s pretty straightforward.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:12 AM

Im curious but are there lot of ppl who take this to NY who have lot of luggage that they carry etc? I know that when you get out of JFK, lot of ppl take the airtrain etc.

Old 03-11-2019, 04:25 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,171 times
Buses to Newark depart from the Port Authority bus terminal and Grand Central for $19 each way.

Old 03-11-2019, 05:51 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
From EWR you can take the internal monorail to the NJ Transit Station, where you catch a train to NY Penn. The monorail doesn't cost anything, and the NJ Transit train is $13. Then you have to get to Brooklyn.
Actually the EWR monorail costs $5.50 (it is only free within the airport similar to JFK) but is included in the NJ Transit train fare.

https://www.newarkairport.com/to-from-airport/air-train

Old 03-11-2019, 06:19 AM

1,408 posts, read 2,033,921 times
Quote:
I will be flying back to the US. I usually fly to JFK and use one of those car services to brooklyn which cost about 35 dollars. I have did the airtrain and then the subway before but don't want to do this because of my luggage.

I notice that flights that go to Laguardia and Newark Airport are cheaper than JFK. How much more does flying to Laguardia or Newark Airport cost more in terms of a car service or cab to brooklyn compaed to JFK? I believe you could take a bus from Laguardia airport and then the subway right? But when you are in newark airport, i believe there is a train service where it goes directly to penn station? Or which station is that?

Has anyone went from newark airport to brooklyn and can give their experiences? How much is the cost if you use cab vs car service vs public transportation? I believe with airtrain and subway, it cost like 12 dollars or so? But what about from laguardia and newark airport?
I live in Brooklyn, as the crow flies I'm pretty much equidistant to Newark, JFK and LaGuardia. I have found over the years that it's pretty much the same taxi/car fare to JFK and LaGuardia, but more to Newark because of out of state/tolls.

As far as public transit, both JFK and Newark have Airtrains that connect you to other transit options. Both are good although I prefer the JFK option which can connect me to the LIRR to Atlantic Ave in Brooklyn (will also stop at Nostrand and usually East NY as well). LaGuardia you are stuck with the bus, - M60 will take you into Manhattan, the Q70 goes express to connect you to subways at Jackson Heights and Woodside, both are Select buses, I prefer the Q70 option myself.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:37 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
From where I live in Brooklyn, I am also equidistant but prefer JFK.

I have only flown out of Newark when I wanted a direct flight to somewhere in Europe. I don't like schlepping, so I took a car, which is expensive when you add in all of the tolls. To answer your other question, you will rarely see someone with tons of luggage taking public transit---they'll take a cab/Uber/etc.

Old 03-11-2019, 03:59 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,423 times
Quote:
Im curious but are there lot of ppl who take this to NY who have lot of luggage that they carry etc? I know that when you get out of JFK, lot of ppl take the airtrain etc.
Whenever I go to Japan, I come back with 2 luggages, one close to 50lb and the other overweight at around 70lb (estimation due to kg vs lb conversion I never did). I got picked up once by my friend in Queens Village, but otherwise have done with heavy luggage (not just from Japan):

LaGuardia - $2.75 but in reality free because of my monthly mta card Q70 -> E/F (Soho/Lower East Side+Downtown Brooklyn)
JFK - $2.75 free once! (T5 has buses that go to subway stations like the Q10). I usually take whichever to the respective trains though, so $7.75 with $2.75 of that covered by my monthly
EWR - $13 + $2.75 (covered by monthly) Airtran -> NJ Transit -> Subway to Home, $2.75 (I think) + $2.75 (covered by monthly) + $2(?) bus to Newark Penn -> PATH -> Subway to Home. I really only do Newark when I have to or there is a far cheaper flight.

I took a cab once from LGA to my residence in Downtown Brooklyn at the time and it was $20. The rates are probably more expensive now! I sadly can't help with car service otherwise, I'm a bit too cheap to justify paying more than airtran + monthly, even with 3 heavy bags. I'm terrible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: