Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 08:17 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times

Advertisements

Scott Stringer just put the kibosh on Bill de Boob's ferry expansion until he gets some answers.

De Blasio's Attempt To Pour More Money Into Ferries Blocked For Being 'Inexplicable': Gothamist

Oh yeah; Scotty boy is racking up a nice CV for his 2021 mayoral run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 04:01 PM

37,133 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Do his objections seem reasonable to you?

Old 03-22-2019, 04:14 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
You mean the comptroller actually has some power in NYC

Old 03-22-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Do his objections seem reasonable to you?

Absolutely! But rarely see anyone in NYC government actually doing their job.

Old 03-28-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Absolutely! But rarely see anyone in NYC government actually doing their job.
I guess one question is what is the split on operating versus capital costs. How are they amortizing those capital costs and the depreciation of those assets?

I've read reports of high per rider subsidies, but it wasn't clear which of these were part of starting up and which of these are essentially ongoing operational costs. The Mayor's office has claimed that the high initial costs are part of simply starting these up, which is reasonable, but doesn't then further elaborate to what extent that is the case nor offer up any numbers. If that really is the case, then why doesn't the office actually release more hard numbers and an analysis? That should be the best way to argue this, but it's possible that even taking that into consideration, the operating costs might still be very unpalatable--which then goes back to the main criticism in regards to lack of transparency.

Old 03-28-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I guess one question is what is the split on operating versus capital costs. How are they amortizing those capital costs and the depreciation of those assets?

I've read reports of high per rider subsidies, but it wasn't clear which of these were part of starting up and which of these are essentially ongoing operational costs. The Mayor's office has claimed that the high initial costs are part of simply starting these up, which is reasonable, but doesn't then further elaborate to what extent that is the case nor offer up any numbers. If that really is the case, then why doesn't the office actually release more hard numbers and an analysis? That should be the best way to argue this, but it's possible that even taking that into consideration, the operating costs might still be very unpalatable--which then goes back to the main criticism in regards to lack of transparency.

Saw something on news today that those ferries are bleeding red ink; running at huge losses.

Think most of them are only really full during AM and PM rush hours, otherwise they largely run empty.

Old 03-28-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Saw something on news today that those ferries are bleeding red ink; running at huge losses.

Think most of them are only really full during AM and PM rush hours, otherwise they largely run empty.
I wouldn't be surprised if that's what's happening with most of the ferries outside of rush hours, though the times I've been on the East River Ferry during off-periods have had pretty healthy ridership though a significant amount of that seems to be tourists.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:00 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,476,108 times
hm...I'm torn over this. I hate deblasio but i think its good for the city to have these ferries although I want more subway expansions

Old 03-29-2019, 10:19 AM

34,082 posts, read 47,278,015 times
The ferries are good for sightseeing, not for actual commuting and that's why they will never turn a profit.

There are no direct connections to the bus or subway next to any of them except Rockaway - and they just recently changed the Q22 route so that it stops directly in front of the ferry. Even Pier 11 you have to walk a few blocks to get to the 2/3 trains.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-29-2019, 10:27 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
The ferries are good for sightseeing, not for actual commuting and that's why they will never turn a profit.

There are no direct connections to the bus or subway next to any of them except Rockaway - and they just recently changed the Q22 route so that it stops directly in front of the ferry. Even Pier 11 you have to walk a few blocks to get to the 2/3 trains.
The ferry service runs independent of the subways and buses and that's the thing. I don't think the MTA wants to have them "link" up. Ferries take away subway riders from the MTA and lost revenue, so don't expect the MTA to be wanting to give up transfers unless the City coughs up more money in return. Think of all of the other private operators that have tried to run bus service over the years that have been shut down because the MTA does NOT want competition. So it's almost like a monopoly. Most other services that "link" to subways or rail lines are somehow operated by the MTA OR they get some cut of revenue that comes in, so that they're fine with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City