Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 02:06 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,449,737 times

Advertisements

So my family is taking a road trip this summer. I was thinking of stopping in NYC for about 12 hours, just to spend the day and show the kids the city. Note that we will not be spending the night in the city.

Question: If I park the car in a paid parking garage - note that the car will be filled with luggage and stuff - Am I just asking to be broken into and robbed??

Would this be a terrible idea?

And if so, would it be dependent on garage area (i.e. would a garage in the Upper East Side be safe whereas a garage near Times Square would not)? Btw we will only be in Manhattan, not the outer Burroughs.

Thx in advance!

Last edited by WSPHXPELON; 03-25-2019 at 02:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 02:45 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
All NYC parking garages have signs posted stating their insurance limits for personal belongings left in vehicle. It is not unknown for things to go missing from autos parked in garages. It won't be locked per se because you must give the attendant a key.

Standard NYC advice applies; place all valuables or whatever in the trunk/out of sight. If your ride has a valet key so attendant can only unlock door/start engine but not get at trunk more the better.

Better garages at least in Manhattan now all have cameras everywhere, thus in theory it should be easy to spot anyone damaging and or going through vehicles. Also usually most garages (with attendants ) do not allow anyone but staff into secure areas. This can vary, say as with garages that are part of a large residential building where tenants (and maybe others) do have access to garage.

I wouldn't leave anything of serious value in a ride parked on a NYC street or garage personally. Money, phones, jewels, etc... are probably best taken with you rather than left behind.

By any means do *NOT* park your ride over night on any NYC street with luggage or anything else of value (or not) visible from street. City is safer than in years past and while breaking into vehicles has decreased it still happens, so why tempt fate?

Old 03-25-2019, 04:21 PM

Thanks for the reply. As a rule would you say that garages in wealthier neighborhoods are generally safer?

Old 03-25-2019, 05:12 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
This might be a crazy idea, because I really don't know how these types of parking lots work, but if your car were parked on the top level, it seems quite unlikely that anyone could actually break in, besides the employees themselves. This particular one is on the corner of 20th St. and 10th Ave.

It's possible that the cars that are going to be there the longest are the ones parked on top, in which case, yours would probably be on a lower level if you're only there for a day. So maybe it wouldn't work.

I also suggest going on Yelp and reading reviews of parking garages. Choose one with a lot of reviews and a high rating.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:23 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
I have another idea that also may be good/bad. Apparently there are places that are set up just for luggage storage. Certainly you're not the first person with this issue. Here's one such place. New York Luggage Storage Lockers

And some more here:
https://www.yelp.com/search?find_des...hattan%2C%20NY

Old 03-25-2019, 05:47 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
So my family is taking a road trip this summer. I was thinking of stopping in NYC for about 12 hours, just to spend the day and show the kids the city. Note that we will not be spending the night in the city.

Question: If I park the car in a paid parking garage - note that the car will be filled with luggage and stuff - Am I just asking to be broken into and robbed??

Would this be a terrible idea?

And if so, would it be dependent on garage area (i.e. would a garage in the Upper East Side be safe whereas a garage near Times Square would not)? Btw we will only be in Manhattan, not the outer Burroughs.

Thx in advance!
Put it on the street. Cars don't get broken into in NYC, it's weird but it's true - it's so rare. You will see Lexus and Mercedes car parked all over the Bronx & Brooklyn and nothing happens to them. Compare that to San Fran where every other car gets their windows smashed in...

Old 03-25-2019, 09:24 PM

Thanks for the replies everybody! Even you Blake Jones, even tho you're trying to trick me so you can steal my car stereo! Haha jk

Henna - I liked your suggestions, thx!!

Old 03-26-2019, 12:16 AM

983 posts, read 931,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Put it on the street. Cars don't get broken into in NYC, it's weird but it's true - it's so rare. You will see Lexus and Mercedes car parked all over the Bronx & Brooklyn and nothing happens to them. Compare that to San Fran where every other car gets their windows smashed in...
Yeah, but a car with a bunch of big bags of stuff...

Old 03-26-2019, 01:29 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post

It's funny because it isn't true.

https://www.westsiderag.com/2019/03/...ble-police-say

Old 03-27-2019, 02:12 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Hah, did you read your own article?

Upper west side 20th Precinct had 31 break-ins in the first quarter, that's laughably low.

If you want to know what car break in risk really is, look at San Fran with 10% of NYC's population that had 31,122 break ins last year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: