Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 02:10 PM

31,682 posts, read 26,589,504 times

Advertisements

Looks as if Mr. Byford is getting fed up!

MTA Now Wants To Crack Down On Bus Farebeaters: Gothamist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 02:34 PM

12,742 posts, read 8,193,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Looks as if Mr. Byford is getting fed up!

MTA Now Wants To Crack Down On Bus Farebeaters: Gothamist
He said the same nonsense a few months ago.

Old 03-26-2019, 03:41 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,196,512 times
I'll believe it when I see it. Buses in the BX always have at least half the passengers board from the back. It may be to make sure they get on or to avoid payment but until that stops they won't be able to get the fares from everyone.

Old 03-26-2019, 04:03 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,201,210 times
How racist of the mayor, I'd like to see the racial makeup of who gets stopped for fare evasion, I bet it is disproportionate ly black and Hispanic

Old 03-26-2019, 04:22 PM

15,789 posts, read 14,385,375 times
How are they going to crack down if the DAs refuse to prosecute?

Old 03-26-2019, 04:26 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,044,917 times
How does cops on buses work? Do they just station one cop at the front and make everyone pay their fare? I don't see how that's much of a deterrent when the cop isn't actually there.

The system on the limited buses works pretty well where you always have that threat in your mind that a cop can board at any time and ask to see your ticket. I guess that's why there's less fare beating on that type of bus.

Old 03-26-2019, 04:30 PM

7,644 posts, read 6,430,200 times
bloomberg would have clamped down that crap

Old 03-26-2019, 04:39 PM

313 posts, read 209,255 times
When the MTA introduces OMNY there will be way less fare beating. Many people just forget or don't have time to refill their metrocard beforehand and many residents that are far from a train station have to take a bus to the train just to refill. The MTAs outdated system is a factor to this as well. The MTA should increase the speed of rolling out OMNY, instead of testing it on certain lines..

Old 03-26-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
How does cops on buses work? Do they just station one cop at the front and make everyone pay their fare? I don't see how that's much of a deterrent when the cop isn't actually there.

The system on the limited buses works pretty well where you always have that threat in your mind that a cop can board at any time and ask to see your ticket. I guess that's why there's less fare beating on that type of bus.
Undercover, they've had them on SI for years now.

Idea is after enough people are busted word gets out and people either pay the fare or at least think twice.

Nothing sets a better example than seeing someone removed/ordered off a bus for nonpayment.

As for SBS don't know why people keep acting as if they are immune to farebeating, see it all the time.

While there may be some activity during the day, by evening/after rush hour and certainly late/over night plenty simply get on without bothering to obtain a ticket. I know this because have stood at stops were people just rolled onto bus when it arrived. Maybe they did get their ticket someplace else for all I know, but doubt it.

Besides for SBS or regular all anyone really has to do is get on the front and tell the driver some half-a$$ed sob story about how they "thought there was money on the Metrocard", or "there is supposed to be a transfer on this card". This or simply insert an invalid or whatever MC then act all surprised and hurt when machine rejects. In nearly all cases drivers just wave people on and start pulling away from curb, if they haven't already.

Once bus leaves the curb drivers aren't supposed to open doors to let passengers on or off; so that is that.

Old 03-26-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagerNYC View Post
When the MTA introduces OMNY there will be way less fare beating. Many people just forget or don't have time to refill their metrocard beforehand and many residents that are far from a train station have to take a bus to the train just to refill. The MTAs outdated system is a factor to this as well. The MTA should increase the speed of rolling out OMNY, instead of testing it on certain lines..

Maybe, then again maybe not.

Have seen all sorts bust a move under or over turnstiles for subways. That and or go though gates, so don't believe easier ways to pay fares is going to make any of them stop getting free rides.

If we had a LE commissioner and borough DAs with balls the answer is simple; just start processing fare beating for the crime it is; end of story.

First under Rudy G, then Bloomberg fare beating on subways and elsewhere dropped. Once word got out your happy behind would be taken in and processed people thought twice.

This was a turn around from the previous where LE merely issued desk appearance tickets. They were widely ignored unless or until someone caught a serious case and someone ran background/arrest records search. Even then many gave fake names so it was difficult to track all of their arrests.

Talk to old school court officers about "desk appearance" courts. You'd have names being called like "Marie-Antoinette of France", or "Richard Nixon".

There isn't a show of force any longer from NYPD, they've been poncified like many LE across the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City