Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 11:29 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,752,644 times

Advertisements

"For much of my working career have usually always gotten something back from federal. OTOH NYS/NYC? Forget about it; will be lucky not to owe (much if at all), but rarely get anything back."

This just means that the feds overwithhold (which is different from overtaxing) and NY doesn't. What OyCrumbler is talking about is the ratio of the value of services provided by the feds in the state to the federal taxes paid by the state. NY regularly contributes far more than it gets back. It literally props up the economies of many of those states where the residents like to throw fits about the "redistribution of wealth."

I don't think it's possible for every state to have a ratio above 1.0. And I don't actually mind paying for my countrypeople to have roads and schools and vaccinations, regardless of what state they live in. But those of you declaring your intention to move to some poorer, lower-tax state are actually declaring your intention to mooch off us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 11:31 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,010,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post
I just heard on the news that tolls are up to $20 depending on whether or not you have EZ pass. I believe that Long Island is going to get a far worse deal than nyc specially since their property taxes are going up.

To be frank it just feels like there are too many peopls trying to live off of the system and the middle class/some of the rich people too...are paying for it. The whole tax raise seems to be spiraling out of control. Groceries are already expensive as it is...why tax grocery bags now? And if they get rid of plastic, won't they just be using paper bags which are more expensive to produce? I really don't think any problems are being solved here.
Taxes are not being raised for welfare purposes. It’s going to cost tens of billions to upgrade the MTA, plus there are expansion projects. It costs real money to maintain the very expensive infrastructure that the city is Dependent upon.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:07 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,010,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I'm not a fan of many nanny state liberal policies, but I support the plastic bag ban because we only have one environment and people can't be trusted to do the right thing. I see sooo many plastic bags on the streets, in trees, and other places that they don't belong.

You are right about the plastic bags, I try not to use them , however, forcing people to use paper bags and then charge them .05 cents to use it with no alternative is a little oppressive. What’s wrong with paper bags? At least paper is easier to recycle .

Old 04-01-2019, 02:25 AM

31,957 posts, read 27,093,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
"For much of my working career have usually always gotten something back from federal. OTOH NYS/NYC? Forget about it; will be lucky not to owe (much if at all), but rarely get anything back."

This just means that the feds overwithhold (which is different from overtaxing) and NY doesn't. What OyCrumbler is talking about is the ratio of the value of services provided by the feds in the state to the federal taxes paid by the state. NY regularly contributes far more than it gets back. It literally props up the economies of many of those states where the residents like to throw fits about the "redistribution of wealth."

I don't think it's possible for every state to have a ratio above 1.0. And I don't actually mind paying for my countrypeople to have roads and schools and vaccinations, regardless of what state they live in. But those of you declaring your intention to move to some poorer, lower-tax state are actually declaring your intention to mooch off us.

It's funny because it's just not wholly true: https://www.politifact.com/new-york/...eral-treasury/

The difference between payments sent to Washington and what is received by New York isn't great as you or others seem to believe. What is more a huge part of those tax payments aren't coming from either state or local government, but simply thanks to the economic activity and tax payments from well off to wealthy households, corporations, business activity and so forth.

OTOH NYS spends more money on Medicaid than any other state in USA. Half those funds are provided by federal government. NYS/NYC also hogs up plenty of various infrastructure funding: the SAS, that very expensive rat hole under GCT (aka East Side Access), and so it goes.

As for the so called "services" you and others are moaning about, one presumes you mean those provided by the city or state of their own accord. As that is the case absent some agreement or constitutional reason federal government has nothing to do with things.

New York has been a bleeding heart liberal tax and spend state for over one hundred years. It isn't anyone else's fault that locally or in Albany they cannot keep finding revenue to pay for all the goodies doled out.

Old 04-01-2019, 03:02 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,244,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post

So what do you think a rational, sane person should do? Stay here and get mooched off instead?

Old 04-01-2019, 04:33 AM

1,757 posts, read 2,147,641 times
I'm gonna mooch like a fat cat and collect all the plastic straws and bags i can find.

Old 04-01-2019, 04:50 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,330,201 times
Anything written in the bill about Amazon having to pay tax?

Old 04-01-2019, 05:00 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,617,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post
Anything written in the bill about Amazon having to pay tax?

Sales tax?

Consumers pay sales tax in NY on Amazon purchases.

Old 04-01-2019, 05:23 AM

65 posts, read 37,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Can't imagine what the Rock will look like in ten or twenty years.

Judging by what is happening today and thus far, it won't be good, that I promise you.
Judging by what's happening today? You mean soaring property values and more business investment than we've seen since the 70's? I think you might be referring to something else. Care to spell it out for us?

Old 04-01-2019, 05:27 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,617,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakamonogatari View Post
Judging by what's happening today? You mean soaring property values and more business investment than we've seen since the 70's? I think you might be referring to something else. Care to spell it out for us?

In 10 years there will be almost no English spoken around the rock. Chinese, Arabic, and other Asian languages will be the only languages heard as foreign investors keep flocking in and stores eventually respond by hiring all foreign speaking staff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City