Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 02:44 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
But if so one right of center does this, you would expect moral panic and outrage and demand a resignation. Right?
No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 06:29 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,366,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
LMFAO! Yes! I needed that.

This helped me to start off my morning.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:33 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,366,551 times
Quote:
But if so one right of center does this, you would expect moral panic and outrage and demand a resignation. Right?

Why would there be moral panic and outrage? She is a straight up New Yorker who wonderfully failed at putting on a Southern accent. MANY politicians change their accents according to where they are and they do this especially for the South perhaps for the reasons I indicated.

I really don't get where you all feel she was trying to "talk black?" Maybe you all should check your own biases because if you think that's the way black people talk...

Old 04-08-2019, 06:39 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Why would there be moral panic and outrage? She is a straight up New Yorker who wonderfully failed at putting on a Southern accent. MANY politicians change their accents according to where they are and they do this especially for the South perhaps for the reasons I indicated.

I really don't get where you all feel she was trying to "talk black?" Maybe you all should check your own biases because if you think that's the way black people talk...
I found it cringe, but I was not outraged, or morally panicked. Yes you are right that politicians and speakers try to code switch thier talking points to receiving demographics. Like I said. Her speech was cringe, and she stereotyped black people jobs. Cooks, bus drivers and retail.

Not for nothing, a few days ago I had to talk black for a group of troubled black teens here in Mott haven. I thought speaking black would help get the message across.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:01 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times
Quote:
I found it cringe, but I was not outraged, or morally panicked. Yes you are right that politicians and speakers try to code switch thier talking points to receiving demographics. Like I said. Her speech was cringe, and she stereotyped black people jobs. Cooks, bus drivers and retail.

Not for nothing, a few days ago I had to talk black for a group of troubled black teens here in Mott haven. I thought speaking black would help get the message across.
I don't think it helps get the message across.
I think it's patronizing and people are not so dumb that they can't see that you're not being genuine.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:03 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagomorfo View Post
You don't see the obvious African features you may be looking for, but you can see little things if you know how to look. She is *definitely* not just white.
Agreed, looks like some indigenous ancestry.

What kind of "little things" that indicate African ancestry do you see?

Old 04-08-2019, 07:13 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagomorfo View Post
She does not look like a white 'Latina'. She is probably white with some black and likely a little bit of Taino or other indigenous.
(I am a brown Latina with deep interest in mixed ethnicities.)
Thank you. Somebody gets it. Olive complexion but she is likely triguena (as in mixed with white, black and indio). If that makes her White then A LOT of people are White. LOL

Old 04-08-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
If anything she appears to be white with some Native/Taino/indigenous.
I don't see any African ancestry in her, but of course you never know with anyone
And what does someone with “African” ancestry look like?

Old 04-08-2019, 07:15 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
She’s Latina, not white...
They are thinking of hot sauce Hillary.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
You are not making any sense.
Her being from the Bronx means she is of a mixed background??
I’m making perfect sense. There is a lot of mixing that happens in the Bronx. It’s mainly black and brown and Hispanics and blacks tend to mix there quite regularly. Then there is the fact that Hispanics already are a mixed group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Montana View Post
I understand the point you are making, but Latino isn't a race. Thus, there are black latinos and latinas and white latinos and latinas.
Tell me something I don’t know. On the census there is White Latino/a, White, non-Latino/a. You have a problem with it? Take it up with the Census Bureau, but they still come up with such names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
At best she is a “White” Latina

At BEST?????
This is the 21st Century, not the 17th.
Some Puerto Ricans are fair skinned. That doesn’t make them White. I’ve seen plenty of them with black siblings or children. They are mixed group. That’s the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City