Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 06:49 PM

9 posts, read 26,521 times

Advertisements

So i asked about crown heights recently, But im really set on a place in bed stuy 818 lexington and it seems relatively safe. But if anyone has advice on this area please let me know?

Appreciate the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 08:21 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,244,321 times
Depends how much it is. I wouldn't pay a premium to live there.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:18 PM

335 posts, read 350,162 times
I am old enough to remember when no one wanted to live there and when acquaintances were paying $650/mo to live in apartments in that area (w/pests, etc). This was less than 10 yrs ago mind you. Now, Brownstones are going for 3.5 Million

This one is close to $2 Million https://www.trulia.com/for_sale/Broo...e;d_sort/12_p/

25 years ago, the area was filled with squeegee men and you wouldn't be caught dead walking around there in the dead of night. While I won't argue with the market, it is perplexing to see homes in the area demanding millions of dollars while the streets look just as gritty and have heroin and opiod addicts strung out on the main thoroughfares and side streets.

The insides of these gut renovated homes look amazing, but aside from the absences of boarded up windows and the occasional glass laden fronts and nice trendy restaurants, it still looks like the same gritty bed-stuy.

A co worker of mine purchased a brownstone for $330K ten years ago. He saw where the market was going. Same home now is well worth over 1.5 Mil now. I thought he was crazy moving from Jackson Heights Queens to Bed Stuy, but he is enjoying having the last laugh.

Old 04-19-2019, 05:55 PM

85 posts, read 103,205 times
I personally still would not live there. I like to able to know that I can be coming home and hanging around my area at 2 am and feel safe. That's why i live in Bay Ridge

Old 04-20-2019, 02:02 PM

6,655 posts, read 5,925,358 times
Gosh, when I was growing up Bed Stuy was just a tad better than the burnin' South Bronx!

Billy Joel included the neighborhood in his song, "You May Be Right."

"I've been stranded in the combat zone
I walked through Bedford Stuy alone
Even rode my motorcycle in the rain
And you told me not to drive
But I made it home alive
So you said that only proves that I'm insane
"

Showed how bad the area was - only a nut job would walk there at night lol

Old 04-20-2019, 03:18 PM

313 posts, read 207,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Gosh, when I was growing up Bed Stuy was just a tad better than the burnin' South Bronx!

But I made it home alive
"

You must have not been to Bed-Stuy in a while, it's super gentrified now.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:34 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,311,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post

But I made it home alive
"

That comment has little relevance for the question about what it’s like there TODAY. The neighborhood, like most of nyc, has changed dramatically in the 40 years since that song was released. To level set, what was Times Square like in 1980...?

OP - I prefer western Bed Stuy to eastern Bed Stuy. It’s less “gritty” than Eastern BS. West Bed Stuy now is gentrified so much, it’s indistinguishable from Clinton Hill/Ft Greene. That said the eastern parts are less hood closer to the subways and that area you mention is also close to Bushwick which makes for a “gentrifying bubble”.

I took a walk last weekend from where I am in West BS to Eastern BS. I do this from time to time to see how things are changing. Had brunch at Kleinberg’s on Tompkins (really good!) then walked over to Malcolm X and walked all the way down to Fulton then across Fulton back to the Western side of the neighborhood. Everything that’s close to the subway stops, like within a 5-7 min walk, is gentrified. By that I mean coffee shops, organic markets, brunch spots, and a notable amount of white people. Anything that’s not close to the subway still feels hood.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:43 PM

27 posts, read 25,763 times
I know there are two shelters within walking distance from that address. It's also close to Broadway, which can get quite hectic during the warmer weather months. In that area there's frequent assault/theft reports (which is common in New York). It is gentrified - there's people paying $3K to live next to the projects too.

Overall, the closer to Downtown, Brooklyn the better Bed-Stuy becomes. You would be closer to the Bushwick side which is becoming gentrified too. There are good parts of Bed-Stuy, but personally for me, I wouldn't want to be living close to the Broadway strip.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:44 PM

12,740 posts, read 8,160,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
That comment has little relevance for the question about what it’s like there TODAY. The neighborhood, like most of nyc, has changed dramatically in the 40 years since that song was released. To level set, what was Times Square like in 1980...?

OP - I prefer western Bed Stuy to eastern Bed Stuy. It’s less “gritty” than Eastern BS. West Bed Stuy now is gentrified so much, it’s indistinguishable from Clinton Hill/Ft Greene. That said the eastern parts are less hood closer to the subways and that area you mention is also close to Bushwick which makes for a “gentrifying bubble”.

I took a walk last weekend from where I am in West BS to Eastern BS. I do this from time to time to see how things are changing. Had brunch at Kleinberg’s on Tompkins (really good!) then walked over to Malcolm X and walked all the way down to Fulton then across Fulton back to the Western side of the neighborhood. Everything that’s close to the subway stops, like within a 5-7 min walk, is gentrified. By that I mean coffee shops, organic markets, brunch spots, and a notable amount of white people. Anything that’s not close to the subway still feels hood.
You clearly are a transplant. I have NEVER heard of anyone refer to Bed-Stuy as “Eastern and Western Bed-Stuy”. You transplants are a trip. LMAO

Old 04-20-2019, 03:54 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,311,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You clearly are a transplant. I have NEVER heard of anyone refer to Bed-Stuy as “Eastern and Western Bed-Stuy”. You transplants are a trip. LMAO
The neighborhood is massive. Distinguishing between east and west or north or south is logical. Especially when you want to explain why certain areas are different (proximity to other gentrified areas and/or subways).

I’m a tri state local. I’m from Scarsdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City